Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy help - 2 for 1 trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

strategy help - 2 for 1 trade

Postby TDS-MN » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:20 am

Hey All,

Have a roster pinch coming up with Chapman coming back from DL. Find myself with Jansen, Bush, Wilson and Chapman all at RP. Would like to try and trade one, but need to open up a roster spot as well. Would really like to package one plus a bat, but I have never really understood how to make an attractive package deal. Any tips/guidelines? My team is sitting in 2nd place, I feel it's competitive as-is, not sure I have anyone that really is only worth dropping to clear a roster spot. What are some makings of a package that another manager might bite on? I could use a little advice from someone, I fear that I tend to over-value my own players, and maybe need some help identifying possible holes in other lineups. The league does not do a lot of trades, mostly adds/drops from the FA pool for some reason. Used to be more active with trades, and I'd like to see if I can add a little fuel to that. If you have any tips, I would be interested to hear them.

C- Welington Castillo Bal
    1b- Brandon Belt SF
    2b- Jonathan Schoop Bal
    3b- Travis Shaw Mil
    ss- Marwin González Hou
    OF- Aaron Judge NYY
    OF- Mookie Betts Bos
    OF- Avisaíl García CWS
    Util- Ryon Healy Oak
    Util- Ender Inciarte Atl
    BN- Evan Gattis Hou
    BN- Jose Peraza Cin
    BN- Eduardo Nunez SF

SP- Robbie Ray Ari
    SP- Jason Vargas KC
    RP- Kenley Jansen LAD
    RP- Matt Bush Tex
    P- Justin Wilson Det
    P- Andrew Miller Cle
    P- Ervin Santana Min
    BN- Corey Kluber Cle
    BN- Luis Severino NYY

DL- Aroldis Chapman NYY
TomS.
Mpls, MN
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: strategy help - 2 for 1 trade

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 am

2 for 1's are tough as nobody wants to give up the best player, even tougher in a league that doesn't trade much. What you need to do is find a team that first needs a closer, then may have a surplus at a position to trade and the player you trade them is an upgrade to what they are starting. You can either advertise through an "on the block" or just go thru rosters 1 by 1 and try to find a deal that makes sense for both teams
Is it a keeper league? Are the bottom teams in a single season league still trying to compete,have they punted saves? You might need to dangle Jansen or Chapman to get interest. Look for teams needing a 3rd basemen or teams already with several great 1st basemen. Offering 1 of your elite closers seems to be the best chance you have unless you find a team with a good fit that is still competing and needs saves
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 270)

Re: strategy help - 2 for 1 trade

Postby TDS-MN » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:24 am

thanks for the reply. Not a keeper league, and most of the managers that at least are still logging in are reasonably active swapping players from the FA pool.

Appreciate the suggestions you made. Will need to spend some time looking at other rosters and see if I can get any bites on a few offers. Nunez just hit DL, so I can swap and activate Chapman for now, and probably leave one of the RP on bench for a bit.
TomS.
Mpls, MN
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers