Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Kershaw Effect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Kershaw Effect

Postby bouncepass » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm

How would drafting Kershaw in the first round effect the rest of your draft? What strategy would you use in a 12 team ROTO 5X5?
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Kershaw Effect

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:23 pm

If I drafted Kershaw in the first round I would lay off the arms until the 5th or 6th round at the earliest. Kershaw is a great anchor to have but with pitching so deep you can afford to wait on the second guy in pen.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby bouncepass » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 pm

how did your offense turn out?

Im in a keeper league and have Chris Sale also...so I would wait until maybe round 11 before I pick another starter
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

I would pair Kershaw with an ace in either Round 2 or 3 and then one of Cole, Shields, Cain as my #3 in Round 6-7. IMO, there's no point in taking Kershaw without building a top-tier fantasy rotation.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby bouncepass » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Well I already have Chris Sale, so I can probably just get another pitcher in round 7or 8 and be solid
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:40 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I would pair Kershaw with an ace in either Round 2 or 3 and then one of Cole, Shields, Cain as my #3 in Round 6-7. IMO, there's no point in taking Kershaw without building a top-tier fantasy rotation.

This doesn't make much sense to me. Kershaw is going to anchor your staff, and there is plenty of room in the middle of the standings to gain without dominating or punting the pitching categories. I wouldn't take a pitcher early, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't double down in the early rounds. I'd shoot for a Teheran/Latos/Bailey type in the 8th/9th, then wait for the Liriano/Cashner/Ryu/Corbin tier then take some upside/fliers late.

You could still win the pitching cats with say:
Kershaw (1)
Teheran (8/9)
Gray (11)
Cashner/Ryu/Corbin (13/14)
Tillman/Paxton/Smyly/Ross/Kluber etc... (endgame)

And have plenty of room for offense and closers left over.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:28 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I would pair Kershaw with an ace in either Round 2 or 3 and then one of Cole, Shields, Cain as my #3 in Round 6-7. IMO, there's no point in taking Kershaw without building a top-tier fantasy rotation.

Pretty much this. Although I won't be taking pitchers early, I think this is the way to go if you do. Something like Kershaw/Yu/Shields :-L

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:32 pm

smoovethug wrote:

Pretty much this. Although I won't be taking pitchers early, I think this is the way to go if you do. Something like Kershaw/Yu/Shields :-L

Yup, agreed as well. I won't take a pitcher in the first 3 rounds but if you do this is the way I'd go as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 pm

West wrote:

This doesn't make much sense to me. Kershaw is going to anchor your staff, and there is plenty of room in the middle of the standings to gain without dominating or punting the pitching categories. I wouldn't take a pitcher early, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't double down in the early rounds. I'd shoot for a Teheran/Latos/Bailey type in the 8th/9th, then wait for the Liriano/Cashner/Ryu/Corbin tier then take some upside/fliers late.

You could still win the pitching cats with say:
Kershaw (1)
Teheran (8/9)
Gray (11)
Cashner/Ryu/Corbin (13/14)
Tillman/Paxton/Smyly/Ross/Kluber etc... (endgame)

And have plenty of room for offense and closers left over.

I'm not necessarily endorsing to punt away categories. The rationale is if I take Kershaw in Round 1, I might as well draft 2-3 innings eating workhorses to dominate ERA and WHIP. Then, I can draft the likes of Gray, Cashner, and Kluber as my #4 and #5.

I touched upon this in another thread recently and some others did as well. I would base my drafting strategy on taking SP and OF early, especially in 5 OF leagues. Quality thins out in OF early and IMO, investing in elite starting pitching is safer than elite hitting. You can probably find good replacement value quality at C, 1B, and 3B while getting an adequate MI combo.

Anecdotally, last year, I took Kershaw in the early 2nd round and Felix in Round 3 of a Cafeholics league. I was able to snag Scherzer in Round 7 while I also got Bailey in the middle rounds. The strategy isn't all too different this year. Grab two top-tier aces, get an emergent third-tier pitcher a few rounds later, and another pitcher with the upside of a #2 as my #4. Meanwhile, I'll be content in scooping up undervalued hitters in between.

(Disclaimer: In said league, I still had CarGo in Round 1 and Chris Davis in the middle rounds, among other bargains such as Rios and Soriano... and won by some 20 odd points.)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 pm

I guess I disagree with most of the above. If you take Kershaw then there is no need to double down. Why do you need to have a team sub 3 ERA when second place is 3.40ish. Same goes for K's and WHIP.... You don't get extra points for completely blowing the rest of the league out in a couple of categories. Doubling down and overspending on pitching will lead to wasted stats and weaker hitting and will force you to make a trade down the stretch. Does anybody care to say why if you take Kershaw it only makes sense to grab another elite arm as well as a Gerrit Cole? So far I haven't seen anyone elaborate on this.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers