Return to Baseball Leftovers

Konerko: One minor complaint for those picking him up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Konerko: One minor complaint for those picking him up

Postby kcs261 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:06 am

I picked him up a week and 1/2 a go. I really couldn't be happier. But here's one complaint: Why in the world do they keep giving him a day or two off each week to play Daubach? I mean, really, when the guy has hit 7 hrs in the last 21 days, with an average around .380, why do you take the guy out of the lineup? Frustrating...
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:07 am

Just trying to keep the bench fresh. A lot of managers do that.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:13 am

Are other people getting days off in the same quantity as Konerko? Or was my impression true that this is unique to him? I certainly can't remember Carlos Lee getting any time off lately (and he is on my team as well). Still, I don't think you take the wood from a guy when he's this hot & when he was so cold before. Let the dude play.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:16 am

Basically they're playing musical chairs with Konerko, Thomas, and Daubach, trying to get them all playing time in two slots (1B and DH). They've been doing this since the first game of the season with Konerko, so I wouldn't read anything into it. There are a ton of guys out there with 1B eligibility, so if you want to make sure the 1B spot is filled, put your backup in for a day game after a night game (which is usually when they put Daubach in)
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kcs261 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:23 am

Daubach isn't even in the same class as Thomas and Konerko. Boy, I wouldn't take the wood from Konerko now for that guy. The bad thing about my league is that I set my lineup on Monday for Monday-Thursday games. I then set it for Friday for Friday-Sunday games. So, I'm going to have to put up with the day or two off a week. The way he is playing now, I'm cool with it. But if Konerko cools off, these days off could become a problem.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:34 am

Keeping the bench fresh is a good idea, indeed, but I have trouble understanding Manuel sitting the hot hand of Konerko. Granted, maybe he wants the rest to keep himself fresh, but I'd still try to play him as much as possible before putting in Daubach. Then again, all of the Sox seem to be hitting much better, so perhaps it's not as vital to keep the hot hand in when everybody is pulling their weight.

I think on the days that Konerko does rest he should get a few base stealing tips from Alomar. If he goes 30/10 I'll forgive him for his wretched first half.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby thehat » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:17 pm

Konerko still struggles against tough righties. He did this even when he was full time last year. Daubach is a nice option on those days.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:21 pm

well at least hes playing tonight, and i predict a big game for paul ;-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby crazybob60 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:48 pm

We have all seen what Manual does, he is the next manager that I believe should go. Why would he not start Konerko every game right now when it appears that he has possibly found his stroke???
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers