2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Only the best of the best Cafe threads make it into the Cafe Hall of Fame. Have a look at some of the most popular threads over the years and show some love.
Crippler
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: League and Roster info:
Roto 5x5

---Roster---
C- Russell Martin
1B- Justin Morneau
2B- Chase Utley
3B- Julio Lugo
SS- Derek Jeter
IF- Prince Fielder
LF- Alfonso Soriano
CF- Mike Cameron
RF- Bobby Abreu
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Gary Matthews Jr.
Util- Richie Sexson
BN- Alex Gonzalez
BN- Ty Wiggington

SP- Brandon Webb
SP- Ben Sheets
SP- Kevin Gregg
SP- Roy Halladay
RP- J.J. Putz
RP- Eric Gagne
P- Jose Valverde
BN- Scott Kazmir
BN- Armando Benitez
BN- Houston Street
DL- Jason Schmidt

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Post by Crippler »

cardsfan wrote:I agree. Robertson needs to be owned in every league until Mariano strings together a couple good outings

You guys are completely ridiculous.

One of the all-time great closers has a 2.08 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 35 saves.

He blows two saves, one of which was because he gave up 2 hits (1 ER) over 2 innings, and you guys are calling for the handcuff.

If you're serious, you really need something better to do with your time than micro-managing and over-thinking situations like this. Come down off the ledge, he'll be fine.
cardsfan
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No
Roster Information: Sportsline/12 team/points league/keeper 4 contract 1 franchise player/weekly lineup change

Scoring: H(1) HR(2) RBI(1) SB(1)...Cg(5) So(5) W(5) SV(4) K(1)

C Towles
1B Pena C
2B Phillips (contract)
3B Braun (franchise)
SS Reyes (contract)
MI Theriot
CI Garko
OF Hawpe
OF Lee C
OF C. Patterson
OF Victorino
OF Rios
SP Billingsley(contract), Lincecum(contract), Cueto, Carmona, King Felix, C Young, Greinke, Westbrook, Volquez
RP Lidge, Soriano

Post by cardsfan »

Easy for you to say. So you should know then that Mariano is 100% healthy? You have no idea if he may be experiencing an injury. Robertson should be universally owned due to the numbers he himself puts up. ;-D
cardsfan
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: Sportsline/12 team/points league/keeper 4 contract 1 franchise player/weekly lineup change

C Towles
1B Pena C
2B Phillips (contract)
3B Braun (franchise)
SS Reyes (contract)
MI Theriot
CI Garko
OF Hawpe
OF Lee C
OF C. Patterson
OF Victorino
OF Rios
SP Billingsley(contract), Lincecum(contract), Cueto, Carmona, King Felix, C Young, Greinke, Westbrook, Volquez
RP Lidge, Soriano

Post by cardsfan »

An weren't you the one saying Farquhar shouldn't be owned or didn't have "closer" type stuff.
Millhouse
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Millhouse »

Crippler wrote:
cardsfan wrote:I agree. Robertson needs to be owned in every league until Mariano strings together a couple good outings

One of the all-time great closers has a 2.08 ERA, 1.18 WHIP and 35 saves.

He blows two saves, one of which was because he gave up 2 hits (1 ER) over 2 innings, and you guys are calling for the handcuff.

If you're serious, you really need something better to do with your time than micro-managing and over-thinking situations like this. Come down off the ledge, he'll be fine.

Whoa, relax there, sparky. Yanks fan, are ya? Mariano has looked very mortal last 3-4 outings, and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a 43-year old, great as he is, might be slowing down and/or hurt. SO, our point is, if you own Mariano and can spare the spot, it might be wise to pick up Robertson (who's been pretty much lights out until getting touched up a bit himself today) as insurance. Basic team management. Don't take it so personally.
Skin Blues
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Skin Blues »

It's two bad games, really. The first blown save he had 2 Ks, and allowed a single and a double, over 2 innings. And he didn't allow a single baserunner in any of the three games before that. David Robertson should be owned simply because of his excellent ratios and his K/9, but I really don't think we'll be seeing him take over for Mariano during his swan song.
cardsfan
T-Ball Trainer

C Towles
1B Pena C
2B Phillips (contract)
3B Braun (franchise)
SS Reyes (contract)
MI Theriot
CI Garko
OF Hawpe
OF Lee C
OF C. Patterson
OF Victorino
OF Rios
RP Lidge, Soriano

Post by cardsfan »

I agree he won't take over unless Mariano is injured. It was more speculation on my part but I do think Robertson should be universally owned
cardsfan
T-Ball Trainer

C Towles
1B Pena C
2B Phillips (contract)
3B Braun (franchise)
SS Reyes (contract)
MI Theriot
CI Garko
OF Hawpe
OF Lee C
OF C. Patterson
OF Victorino
OF Rios
RP Lidge, Soriano

Post by cardsfan »

Robertson with the save. Not clean, but got the job done. I'm sure it's just to clear Mariano's head but ill say it again, Robertson needs to be universally owned. That includes the league(s) you're in Crippler. ;-D
chargerss24
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: 12-team, 6x6 Keeper League

C - Jeff Clement
C - Dioner Navarro
1B - Derek Lee
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - J.J. Hardy
3B - Aramis Ramirez
MI - Howie Kendrick
CI - Evan Longoria
OF - Nick Markakis
OF - Alex Rios
OF - Carlos Lee
U - Eric Hinske
U - Willie Taveras
U - Brad Hawpe
SP - Tim Lincecum
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Josh Beckett
SP - Dustin McGowan
SP - Jeremy Sowers
RP - Francisco Rodriguez
RP - Todd Jones
RP - Jonathan Broxton
RP - Sean Marshall
Bench
Jeff Francoeur
Felix Pie
David Murphy
Fernando Rodney
Rich Hill
David Price
Colby Rasmus

Post by chargerss24 »

Crippler wrote:

Are we now? Robertson needs to be owned in every league if said league uses holds as a stat or it's a keeper league.
kaiser
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: C Brian McCann, NYY C
1B Eric Hosmer, KC 1B
2B Robinson Cano, Sea 2B
3B Miguel Cabrera, Det 3B, 1B
SS Jose Reyes, Tor SS
IF Todd Frazier, Cin 3BR
OF Jason Heyward, Atl OF
OF Brett Gardner, NYY OF
OF Alex Rios, OF, TOR
OF Starling Marte, OF, PIT
UTIL Victor Martinez, Det DH
P Madison Bumgarner, SF SP
P Glen Perkins, Min RP
P Steve Cishek, Mia RP
P Matt Lindstrom, CWS RP
P Ernesto Frieri, LAA RP
P Jenry Mejia, NYM RP
P Ronald Belisario, RP, CWS
Bench Homer Bailey, Cin SP
Bench Sonny Gray, Oak SP
Bench Chris Archer, TB SP
Bench R.A. Dickey, Tor SP

Post by kaiser »

chargerss24 wrote:
Crippler wrote:

Are we now? Robertson needs to be owned in every league if said league uses holds as a stat or it's a keeper league.

Ah, a caveat to the original question.
Millhouse
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Millhouse »

Mariano had thrown 80-something pitches in previous 3 outings, so Robertson probably would have gotten the opp anyway...but I say again, if you own Rivera and have the bench space, I'd stash Robertson. Especially in keeper leagues, as he looks to have a hammer lock on the gig next year, and you know the Yanks will re-tool and stay competitive.

And call me petty, but I hope the dude who got all riled up a couple posts back loses his league by that one, single, heartbreaking Robertson save. ;-)

Return to “Cafe Hall of Fame”