2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Only the best of the best Cafe threads make it into the Cafe Hall of Fame. Have a look at some of the most popular threads over the years and show some love.
rich101682
T-Ball Trainer

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Post by rich101682 »

SpecialFNK wrote:Bell with another save tonight. 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 0 R. back to back days with good outings. looks like he's back on track. (Cishek owner, damn!)

I watched Bell tonight and he looked like the Bell of old. Throwing smoke and just being intimidating on the mound.
NZ Eff
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No

Post by NZ Eff »

CBMGreatOne wrote:Tomorrow we might see Dolis in the 8th and Marmol in the 9th.

You might see Dolis in the 8th but it would be in AAA as he is no longer in the bigs.

Assuming we have a situation similar to the Angels. Lefties due up they go with Russell, righties then Coleman / Camp.

Coleman was a terrible starter but so to was Eric Gagne so who knows. Camp has been a very ordinary MR guy all of his career. I vulture any closer I can at anytime but I would never pick up Camp. Never, ever.
sfjb
T-Ball Trainer

Post by sfjb »

Fuentes just shat himself and gave a walk-off up to Willingham. Cook next? Balfour time?
bayside
T-Ball Trainer

Post by bayside »

SpecialFNK wrote:Bell with another save tonight. 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 0 R. back to back days with good outings. looks like he's back on track. (Cishek owner, damn!)

Bell had a few good appearances in a row earleir this year, and then he turned right back into the ratio killer he is.
Dont be fooled again. Bell sucks.
Last edited by bayside on Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
juliown1028
T-Ball Trainer

Post by juliown1028 »

sfjb wrote:Fuentes just shat himself and gave a walk-off up to Willingham. Cook next? Balfour time?

They most likely won't go back to Balfour. Cook will be the A's closer at the end of the season, considering they will have nothing to play for soon and with how well Cook has been doing (other than his previous outing). He's the A's long term solution, their next Huston Street/Andrew Bailey, and Balfour and Fuentes have just been the closers to buy him time to prepare for it. I guess thats only my opinion though.
Nerveclinic
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Nerveclinic »

[quote="SpecialFNK"]IMO this was STUPID use of the bullpen by the Cubs. both Camp and Russell were used yesterday, and now they were both used today. which means it would be better if both of them were not used tomorrow which would be 3 days in a row. Camp could have just as easily finished the 9th. he already got 1 out in the 9th and due up were Jeff Baker and Everth Cabrera. not exactly offensive threats.
for what it's worth Coleman would have been used yesterday if it was a save situation.
[quote]

Let me guess, you own Camp? Because I own Russell and thought it was a brilliant move. ;-D
AussieDodger
T-Ball Trainer

Post by AussieDodger »

juliown1028 wrote:Cook will be the A's closer at the end of the season, considering they will have nothing to play for soon and with how well Cook has been doing (other than his previous outing). He's the A's long term solution, their next Huston Street/Andrew Bailey, and Balfour and Fuentes have just been the closers to buy him time to prepare for it. I guess thats only my opinion though.

Your opinion is correct.
They put Cook straight into the 8th inning job with only 7.2 IP in the bigs under his belt. He just needs to cut the walks back slightly, and the closer chair is his long-term.
ThumperHawk
T-Ball Trainer

Post by ThumperHawk »

Angels update:

Downs (L) brought in with one on, no outs, up 4-1 in the 8th. He was set to face Cano (L), Teixeira (S), and Ibanez(L). Teixeira reached on a single. Ibanez lifted for Andruw Jones (R). Swisher (S) came to the plate and flied out to end the inning.

Angels scored in the bottom of the 8th to make it a 4 run game. Downs is sent back the mound to start the 9th against Eric Chavez (L). Yankees replace Chavez with Jayson Nix (R). Scoscia brings in Frieri (R) in a non-save opportunity. Frieri was due to face: Nix (R), Russell Martin (R), and Jeter (R). Nix strikes out. Martin and Jeter both walk. Granderson (L) flies out. ARod (R) hit by pitch to load the bases. Cano (L) fans to end the threat.

Again it looks like Scoscia is content to mix-and-match the 8th and 9th to get the match-ups he wants. Looks like either Downs or Frieri will have to melt-down before the situation changes.
rich101682
T-Ball Trainer

Post by rich101682 »

Anyone know why Casey Janssen was in yesterday with a 4 run lead?
slomo007
T-Ball Trainer

Post by slomo007 »

ThumperHawk wrote:Angels update:

Downs (L) brought in with one on, no outs, up 4-1 in the 8th. He was set to face Cano (L), Teixeira (S), and Ibanez(L). Teixeira reached on a single. Ibanez lifted for Andruw Jones (R). Swisher (S) came to the plate and flied out to end the inning.

Angels scored in the bottom of the 8th to make it a 4 run game. Downs is sent back the mound to start the 9th against Eric Chavez (L). Yankees replace Chavez with Jayson Nix (R). Scoscia brings in Frieri (R) in a non-save opportunity. Frieri was due to face: Nix (R), Russell Martin (R), and Jeter (R). Nix strikes out. Martin and Jeter both walk. Granderson (L) flies out. ARod (R) hit by pitch to load the bases. Cano (L) fans to end the threat.

Again it looks like Scoscia is content to mix-and-match the 8th and 9th to get the match-ups he wants. Looks like either Downs or Frieri will have to melt-down before the situation changes.

Thanks for the update! As a Downs owner I like seeing all of those walks by Frieri. ;-D

Return to “Cafe Hall of Fame”