2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Only the best of the best Cafe threads make it into the Cafe Hall of Fame. Have a look at some of the most popular threads over the years and show some love.
Roger LaFrancois
T-Ball Trainer

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Post by Roger LaFrancois »

Dunno if this is the right forum to ask, but I am thinking about dropping Mike Gonzales and adding Ramon Troncoso and going into the chasing saves mode. Would you guys do this? On my other team I thought about dropping Nunez for Troncoso, but I don't think I will.
BitterDodgerFan
T-Ball Trainer

Post by BitterDodgerFan »

no, gonzo has been out of the mix due to being hurt. he's got tendonitis or something so i'd wait.
NZ Eff
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No

Post by NZ Eff »

BitterDodgerFan wrote:no, gonzo has been out of the mix due to being hurt. he's got tendonitis or something so i'd wait.

Not entirely true. Gonzo has also been out of the mix for saves since late June, even when he was pitching and healthy. I think it is very evident that Soriano is the only closing option in Atlanta right now and this latest set back for Gonzo makes that even more obvious going forward. Unless you have plenty of roster space, I would drop Gonzalez and look for other options for saves.
Roger LaFrancois
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Roger LaFrancois »

For the record I have decided not to waive Gonzales and pick up Troncoso. Reasons:
* I am not that desperate for saves. I am now 10 saves behind and 6 saves ahead of my adjacent competitors.
* Even as is, Gonzales has value for vulture wins, Ks, and the ratios
* I am not impressed with Troncoso's K rate.
* The trade deadline might change things here. Better to keep as is at least till July 31.

But you are correct , Soriano started to close regularly before any injury to Gonzles was reported.
Area51's
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Area51's »

Any thoughts on the WAS closer situation w/ the managerial switch?

Riggleman is looking at the same cast in the bullpen as ACTA was. MacDoug has been "ok" in save situations, and disastrous in non-save situations since the middle of June. His peripherals are beyond terrible!!! Thing is, just about everybody on the staff hasn't pitched that well in the last 30 days.Beimel has a 2.53 era in the last 30 but only a 9-6 k-bb rate. Newly acquired Sean Burnett's last 30 is 2.38/0.71 w/ a 9-1 K-bb rate, and thats the only thing that looks halfway decent.

If MacDoug has the job, he's easily the scariest option w/ that control rate, and I've watched him pitch a lot and he's even scarier than it shows. No clue where the dish is.

I just don't see any good options. Mock got recalled, but....???

Any other insight. For those that really need saves, AND can afford the whip/era risk, it could help. If nothing else, grabbing the guy and benching him so the others can't get the saves is at least something in some leagues.
Kodiak
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No

Post by Kodiak »

Broxton in for the save. Guess picking up Troncoso was a wasted move. !+)
kimchi_chigae
Bouncer
Bouncer
Beginner: Yes

Post by kimchi_chigae »

Mid Season Closers Thread is up. Link

Return to “Cafe Hall of Fame”