Mock Draft Commentary

What goes on in your mind the first 5 rounds? Watch these mockers go 5 and explain the thought process behind each and every pick.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Grounded Polo
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No

Re: Mock Draft Commentary

Post by Grounded Polo »

GiantsFan14 wrote:This is an interesting point. I didn't realize there was such a shift against him and he did have a very low BABIP with the bases empty last year. Could definitely be the cause of him so drastically underperforming his xBABIP.

I only started watching Yankee games at the new stadium regularly last summer when I moved back to NY but he gets the shift treatment every time no one is on base pretty much, doubt it was like that back in his Texas days.
Pogotheostrich
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Pogotheostrich »

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Seeing the SP I could have snagged right there, I'm now also regretting the Halladay pick... This is why I don't draft them early. At least I got some reinforcement.

I think Halladay was fine where you got him, he's as reliable as any player. Kinsler and Tex carry more risks (Kinsler playing 155 games again and Tex's ever decreasing batting average) and then the tier drops off after that.

Code: Select all

Year     BABIP xBABIP
2009     .302   .309
2010     .268   .288
2011     .239   .292
Career   .296   .315

He has declined a bit and won't be hitting .300 again any time soon, but his batting average the last couple years has been pretty fluky. I think there's a pretty good chance he gets back into the mid-.270s this year and that could lead to a pretty big year in that line-up.

He needs to stop trying to hit HR and just hit. The last 3 years his LD% and GB% dropped while his FB% increased.
Urban Cohorts
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Urban Cohorts »

Too early for Zimmerman? Didn't want to lose out of the 3B market and felt he had higher upside than the next 3-4 good ones.

I really wanted a SP, but with only 4 picks until my next, I figured I stand a good chance of getting 1 of the 4 top tier SP left on my chart.
Grounded Polo
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Grounded Polo »

Urban Cohorts wrote:Too early for Zimmerman? Didn't want to lose out of the 3B market and felt he had higher upside than the next 3-4 good ones.

I really wanted a SP, but with only 4 picks until my next, I figured I stand a good chance of getting 1 of the 4 top tier SP left on my chart.

Personally, yeah, Zimmerman would need to have another 2009 season to be worth that pick. I think he's more of a mid 4th/early 5th round type to me but that's not realistic. Panda in the 3rd seems high but think he has better odds to be worth that pick.
Pogotheostrich
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Pogotheostrich »

Urban Cohorts wrote:Too early for Zimmerman? Didn't want to lose out of the 3B market and felt he had higher upside than the next 3-4 good ones.

I thought it was a little early but I thought it was early for Sandoval too
Urban Cohorts
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Urban Cohorts »

While I agree with you guys about the Zimmerman comments,

daullaz wrote:3.12 Alex Rodriguez, 3B, NYY

So Arod went 2 picks later. I have Sandoval and Zimmerman ranked roughly the same, but with Pablo having more upside. A Rod was my next choice, but I'd rather have Zimmerman.

And so far, Sabathia was taken, so I like my chances of getting that SP I wanted.
Urban Cohorts
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Urban Cohorts »

Urban Cohorts wrote:And so far, Sabathia was taken, so I like my chances of getting that SP I wanted.

And that worked out nicely. CC was my #1 guy left, followed by Lince and Grienke about even with each other and the unnamed top SP who is still not drafted.

Very happy with Greinke here. He had crazy peripherals in 2011, especially his K/9, his BB/9 was great. His luck stats were very unlucky up until the second half, where he gave up a few more walks, a few less Ks, but raised his GB% tremendously and lived up to his underlying stats. This kid can pitch..
Pogotheostrich
T-Ball Trainer

Post by Pogotheostrich »

I'm hoping Greinke lasts a little longer in some of my leagues this year. A lot of owners look at the high ERA forget he missed some starts at the beginning of the year.
GiantsFan14
College Coach
College Coach

Post by GiantsFan14 »

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm hoping Greinke lasts a little longer in some of my leagues this year. A lot of owners look at the high ERA forget he missed some starts at the beginning of the year.

samesies, he's my 6th ranked pitcher, i'd love to get him pretty much any point in the 4th round. later than that would be super sweet.

Return to “The Top 60”