Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Matzek or Martinez(Matias)? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matzek or Martinez(Matias)? WHIR

Postby milkshake » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm looking to add a quality young arm to my prospects. I'm torn on if I should go with Tyler Matzek or Carlos Martinez. I could possibly get both but I think I would need to move on Matzek first because he's a more known name at this point. With all the hype I can see myself falling in love with Martinez. But Matzek is nothing to cough at either. Do you guys think Martinez has the bigger upside while Matzek has a better shot of reaching his. Do you think both could be top 15 pitching prospects in 2012?
milkshake
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matzek or Martinez(Matias)? WHIR

Postby yoda87 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:39 pm

If I gotta pick one straight up, I take Matzek... I follow the Rockies farm system and scouts like him, I think he's up there on Baseball America's top prospects too.
I guess there was no curse... Boston just sucked for 86 years...
yoda87
College Coach
College Coach

Postby milkshake » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Yeah he ranges in the 20's-30's on a lot of the lists. I could also nab Manny Machado if I don't go the pitcher route.
milkshake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:39 pm

I would take Machado easily over Matzek.

I have picked up CM in all of my dynasty minor league systems this year and always later in the draft. I am not sure there is much buzz on him at the moment. I could be wrong but it seems like there are a few people who have heard of him and plenty who haven't.

Long term, I think I like CM more than Matzek. Not sold on Matzek myself and see CM as a Jesus Montero type player. Very little buzz and then jumps into the top of the rankings the next season.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -31)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions