General Discussion

Will these owners build for the future, or will they play to win it all this season?
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No
Roster Information: [quote]12 Teams - 6x6 (Normal plus OPS & Losses) - Rotisserie - 4 to 8 keepers per year

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

B- Nick Markakis, Kendrys Morales, Denard Span, Neil Walker, Evan Gattis

DL- Ian Kinsler*

SP- Felix Hernandez*, Yu Darvish*, Yovani Gallardo*, Jonathon Niese, Marco Estrada

RP- Addison Reed, Casey Janssen, Edward Mujica, David Robertson, Luke Gregerson

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

General Discussion

Post by BronXBombers51 »

In addition to getting the league rules ironed out, there are some additional things that need to be taken care of.

First, assistant commissioner(s) would be helpful. I've got winter break until February, so I should be able to get this thing organized and set up, but I'll definitely need some help both during the February auction and mid-season. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

Second, we're going to need a way to track people's bidding during the February auction. The Hot Stove League used an excel program. Basically there was a tab for each position and all the players up for auction were listed under each tab. There were also 'team', 'years', 'dollars', and 'time remaining' columns. You could manually change these each time you bid and it would show you how many roster spots, years and dollars you had left, as well as show how much time you had until a particular free agent was going to be won in auction.

I've got a little excel skill, but not enough to pull something like that off. If anyone is an excel wizard and can give that a go, that'd be great. If not, we're going to need to devise another system of tracking each player and tracking the TIME REMAINING. I think that's the biggest thing. We need to see how many days/hours/minutes are remaining on certain players before they're expired, otherwise a lot of stuff will slip through people's fingers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Third, I just want to clarify that I plan to start this auction on or around February 1st, 12:00 AM. The auction will last until (or nearly until) MLB Opening Day. I'll determine the exact start and end times a little later. It takes a full week without any bids for a player to be won in auction. Every single player will be up for auction at the SAME TIME. That means this auction is going to take a long time. It's going to take a couple months to build your roster instead of a couple hours. I think this is a great concept (developed by wrveres) because it's much more realistic and you don't need to be on here 24/7. You can miss a few days and still have nearly all the same players up for bidding.

There will be NO minor league draft THIS YEAR. The initial draft will be held at some point in early 2009 (probably in January before the auction.)

That said, we can use this thread to discuss those things above, or just general discussion about the league.
thomasps3
T-Ball Trainer

Re: General Discussion

Post by thomasps3 »

Hey guys, I will put on the old thinking cap and come up with a few ideas on this. Off the bat, however, I suck at excel and spreadhsheets in general, so I can't offer help there.

We're going to need a way to track people's bidding during the February auction. Can we have a "panel" of three teams within the league who in addition to observing Teams A,B,C,D can manage to put together their own teams? As an incentoive, possibly award them an extra 3rd round pick next year in the minor's draft or something like that, I don't know.

Third, I just want to clarify that I plan to start this auction on or around February 1st, 12:00 AM. The auction will last until (or nearly until) MLB Opening Day. I'll determine the exact start and end times a little later. It takes a full week without any bids for a player to be won in auction. Why 1 week? Why not 10 days, or 5 days? What happens when it comes down to less than 1 week before the season starts and a player is still actively being bid on? Does the auction simpy close at an assigned time?

With everything that this league is, I am psyched to start it up..dynasty baseball is truly awesome! And +1 when you are the original owner of the dynasty!
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: [quote]12 Teams - 6x6 (Normal plus OPS & Losses) - Rotisserie - 4 to 8 keepers per year

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

SP- Felix Hernandez*, Yu Darvish*, Yovani Gallardo*, Jonathon Niese, Marco Estrada

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

I might be able to get my hands on that excel program. Jury is still out, though.

I picked a seven day period because that's what the Hot Stove used. It's also a good benchmark and easy to measure. If I make my bid on Tuesday at 4:05 PM, the bidding expires for that player next Tuesday at 4:05 PM, unless a higher bid is made.
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

One other order of business is determining who gets what team. I think the fairest way to do it would be to pick in the order of who expressed interest in the league first. In that case, the current order would be...

1. BronXBombers51
2. Snakes Gould (He notified me that he is still determining if he'll be able to participate in the league)
3. thedude
4. teddyballgame
5. mweir145
6. TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
7. thomasps3
8. Broncmet724
9. JohnnyBenchBestEver (expressed initial interest but haven't heard back from him yet since this forum has been up)
10. The Artful Dodger

Those are the people who have at least initially expressed interest in the league so far (still have some outstanding invites.) We will be choosing real MLB team names to compete under. I will be the Yankees. :-) Since Snakes Gould is number 2, we'll wait to see what he decides. Once I hear from him, we can move right down the line and select teams.
The Artful Dodger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Post by The Artful Dodger »

You invited me and I accepted right away. That means first dibs on the Dodgers. Duh. :-b
Diving in the Box on Roto Database

"Shut up, Anti-sec." -Jose Mourinho
Broncmet724
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: Yes

Post by Broncmet724 »

Well we all know who I'd like to be.

And unlike most auctions it said all players will become available at the same time. No one proposing names as we go. So that will be a bit different I think. So I don't think the 7 day waiting period will be that bad.
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

Broncmet724 wrote:Well we all know who I'd like to be.

And unlike most auctions it said all players will become available at the same time. No one proposing names as we go. So that will be a bit different I think. So I don't think the 7 day waiting period will be that bad.

Yeah, I mean, it's going to be big. Every single player will be released for auction at once. The initial frenzy will be crazy...until people realize that it's going to take a week for each bid to end....then it will cool down some.

Then, of course, there will be the riots when a player reaches 6 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes and someone decides to make a better offer. :-) :-b That's how rivalries will get started. B-)
thomasps3
T-Ball Trainer

Post by thomasps3 »

One other order of business is determining who gets what team

Is there any significance to this? When we draft minor leaguers, are we only eligible to choose from our own "teams" system? In my other dynasty league, there are huge implications, i.e you get the draft picks the GM chooses, and so on.

Thanks.

And I know sitting in the 7 hole, I am highly unlikely to get my beloved Boston Red Sox, but I am cool with it if there is no other significance....
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

thomasps3 wrote:One other order of business is determining who gets what team

Is there any significance to this? When we draft minor leaguers, are we only eligible to choose from our own "teams" system? In my other dynasty league, there are huge implications, i.e you get the draft picks the GM chooses, and so on.

Thanks.

And I know sitting in the 7 hole, I am highly unlikely to get my beloved Boston Red Sox, but I am cool with it if there is no other significance....

No, no other significance. Just a name.

And unfortunately it looks like the Sox fans are the only ones who might miss out, since I count 3 of you guys in here. But no, it's only a label and there's no correlation to the actual team.
thomasps3
T-Ball Trainer

Post by thomasps3 »

Ok, well in that case, I will take the Kansas City Royals. I am sure they will not be amongst the teams in high demand.

Return to “Hardball Dynasty League”