League Rules Discussion

Will these owners build for the future, or will they play to win it all this season?
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: No
Roster Information: [quote]12 Teams - 6x6 (Normal plus OPS & Losses) - Rotisserie - 4 to 8 keepers per year

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

B- Nick Markakis, Kendrys Morales, Denard Span, Neil Walker, Evan Gattis

DL- Ian Kinsler*

SP- Felix Hernandez*, Yu Darvish*, Yovani Gallardo*, Jonathon Niese, Marco Estrada

RP- Addison Reed, Casey Janssen, Edward Mujica, David Robertson, Luke Gregerson

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

League Rules Discussion

Post by BronXBombers51 »

Ok, I've got a pretty in-depth set of rules. Some (most) of it is taken (blatantly plagiarized) from the Hot Stove League. A few minor changes have been made, but the credit for this system belongs to wrveres and the members of that league for developing such a terrific guideline. Please read over the rules very carefully.

I have marked questionable things, or things I've changed, in RED. Feedback/questions/comments/concerns are very welcome. This isn't a finished product; I need to get some opinions from you guys.

UPDATED Wednesday December 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Changes listed in blue.

General Specifications:

1.) 12-Team Dynasty Auction (I would be willing to possibly bump this to 14 teams, but I'd rather not go higher than that.)
2.) Real MLB Team Names
3.) 5x5 Rotisserie (R, HR, RBI, SB, BA - W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP)
4.) $260.00 Salary Cap
5.) No In-Season Salary Cap
6.) All players are signed to contracts using years and dollars
7.) 25 Players per Roster - 20 Starters - 5 Bench - 5 Disabled Spots
8.) Up to 10-Player Minor League System (enforced by a soft-cap)
9.) Game played at free Yahoo! Fantasy Sports
10.) Position Eligibility determined by free Yahoo! Fantasy Sports

Rosters:

1.) Starting Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, CI, MI, Utl, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P
2.) 5 Bench Spots
3.) 5 Disabled Spots
4.) Cap of 10 Minor Leaguers enforced on Dec. 1 and Opening Day, tracked by our forum at Fantasy Baseball Cafe

The Auction

1.) All MLB players with one professional game, including Japanese, Korean or any of the Hispanic professional leagues, but not a USA minor league game, are available for the draft.
2.) An auction is final once 7 full days pass without receiving a higher bid.
3.) At this time, players are marked sold and the winning team will be responsible for that player's contract.
4.) All teams must have 25 players on their roster at the conclusion of the auction.
5.) All teams must have one player for each roster position on opening day.
6.) To bid on a player, there will be one thread for each position, and the first page will have the entire player pool for players up for bid in that thread.
7.) All bidding will take place in these positional threads.

Salaries

1.) A $260.00 salary cap will be enforced on December 1st and MLB Opening Day.
2.) You must have enough available salary to roster 25 players at all times (you must carry a bench).
3.) Salaries are rounded up to the nearest dollar. When bidding, bid whole dollars (no cents!).
4.) Each team must cut their roster back down under the $260 salary cap on December 1st.
5.) You may exceed the salary cap at any point during the season through trade or free agent pick up.
6.) Debt is included in team salary.

Contracts

1.) Each team has a cap of 60 total contract years to cover all 25 players on their roster.
2.) Contract years conclude on December 1st of each year, and all players will have their contracts reduced by one year at that time.
3.) Any player with an expiring contract will be considered a 'Restricted Free Agent' (see RFA below)
4.) Contract bids are given out in terms of years, followed by annual dollars offered. Example: 3/$10 would be $10 per year times 3 years. The next logical bid would be either 4/$10 or 3/$11 with the highest 'annual' salary as the trump (1/$11 trumps $3/10).
5.) The longest contract allowed per player is 4 years, except as noted below.
6.) Each team is allowed three "Franchise Contracts" per season. He is allowed 1 six-year contract and 2 five-year contracts.
7.) You are not required to sign any player to a "Franchise Contract."
8.) On December 1st, any six-year contract will be reduced to a five-year contract and you may then offer a new six-year contract to a player if you wish. The same goes for five-year contracts being reduced to four.
9.) Any team that has more than three "Franchise Contracts" entering the auction will not be allowed to re-issue any more "Franchise Contracts" for that season.
10.) If you pick up a player via free agency who is currently under contract from a different owner, you instantly assume that players contract, including any remaining contract years. This relieves the previous owner of any financial responsibility (see debt).
11.) The last team to have had the contracted player on his roster as of December 1st will be assigned the debt.

Free Agency

1.) A free agent (FA) is defined as any player no issued a contract during the initial auction. (I think we should basically use the Yahoo! player database to determine who is a free agent...that is to say...you cannot add a prospect to your roster mid-season if he is not in the Yahoo! database...the only way a player like that can be obtained is through the Minor League draft....let me know if that made any sense.)
2.) Free agents that are picked up during the season (waiver wire) can be kept on the December 1st deadline at $10 salary for the following season.
3.) There is no debt assigned to FA.
4.) You may also offer your in season free agent pickups a longer contract. Those contracts are assigned at the following rates:

2/$12
3/$14
4/$16
5/$18
6/$20

Restricted Free Agents

See the RFA poll thread. Potential scenarios are listed there. Once one is agreed upon, it will be added to the rulebook.

Minor League System
1.) There is a soft-cap of 10 Minor League players, to be enforced on December 1st and Opening Day.
2.) You may exceed the 10 player limit during the season via trade, but you must pare your roster back down to 10 players by December 1st by releasing minor league players.
3.) There will be no minimum requirement for players in your Minor League System.
4.) For the purposes of this league, only players drafted during our minor league draft will be considered Minor League Players.
5.) Any minor league player, not on our minor league rosters, is considered a free agent and their salary structure will follow the free agent guidelines. (Again, I think you should only be allowed to add a minor-leaguer mid-season if he is in the Yahoo! Database. That is to say, you can't fill your roster during the auction and then on opening day drop someone and pick up some hot prospect in the minors UNLESS that hot prospect is in Yahoo! already. The only way to obtain this prospect is through the minor league draft in Spring 2009.)
6.) Players on your minor league roster that received 130 MLB at-bats or 50 MLB innings pitched during his career are no longer considered Minor Leaguers and must be offered contracts on December 1st or released to free agency.
7.) Minor league players do not count towards salary cap until you place them on your 25-man roster. Once you activate them, they are immediately assigned a $1 price tag for that season.
8.) Minor league players on your minor league team can be called up and placed on your 25-man roster any time you choose, even if they have no MLB experience. They do not have to be activated by their MLB counterpart.
9.) On the other hand, you are not required to activate a player on your minor league roster if he is activated by his MLB counterpart. You may leave him on your minor league roster. If the player reaches the 130 MLB at-bat limit or 50 MLB innings pitched limit, he must be offered a contract or released by December 1st. If he does not reach these plateaus, you may keep him in your minor league system.
10.) Once activated, they cannot go back down to your minor league roster. They must be under contract as defined below, or released to free agency.
11.) Minor league players can be named "Franchise Players" on December 1st, provided you have the contract years available.
12.) Minor League Players Salary Structure:

1/$1
2/$2
3/$3
4/$4
5/$5
6/$6

Minor League Draft

1.) There will be a 10 round initial minor league draft held during the spring of 2009, before the auction begins. There will be subsequent drafts each following year.
2.) The initial minor league draft order will be randomized and it will be a snake draft.
3.) Each following minor league draft order will be decided by the reverse order of the standings finish: last team picks first, NON-snake draft.
4.) You may only participate in the draft as long as it takes you to reach 10 minor league players in your system. For example, if you enter the draft with 8 minor league players, you may participate in the draft for 2 rounds.
5.) If you already have a full minor league system (10), you will not participate in the minor league draft.
6.) You may release any players from your minor league roster by December 1st, either because you are over the 10-player cap or because you want to make room so that you may participate in the Minor League Draft.
7.) Any newly drafted players in real-life (meaning any new-draftees selected in the MLB's amateur draft the previous July) or any other real-life minor league players not currently under contract in our league (as long as they are under the 150 AB/50 IP requirements) are eligible for draft during the Minor League Draft.

Trades
1.) August 31st (or 12:00AM September 1st) is the trading deadline.
2.) Trades can be made at any time during the season or offseason except from September 1st to the end of the regular season.
3.) All trades must include one player from each team.
4.) Contract years are not a trade-able commodity! You can't trade years or add extra years into a deal.
5.) Salary cap cash is not a trade-able commodity! You can't trade cash for players or add extra cash into a deal.
6.) Minor league draft position is a trade-able commodity.
7.) Minor league players are a trade-able commodity.
8.) Trades are deemed pending for up to 72 hours.
9.) The only reason for trade vetoing is collusion. If 3 owners formally request a veto vote to the commissioner through PM (confidentially), the trade will be put up to vote. In order for the trade to be vetoed, the vote must consist of at least 7 owners voting to veto it.
10.) Any trade protest must be submitted privately within the 72-hour window to the commissioner. (Copied this from Hot Stove...does this mean that all trades take 72 hours to be allowed? Is that too long? What should it be?)
11.) All written protests are extremely confidential and will be handled that way.
12.) Trades involving the commissioner will be decided upon by the assistant commissioner(s) and written protests should be sent to him. (Two assistant commissioners would probably be a good idea, first for the extra help and second just in case the commish and assistant commish trade with eachother.)
13.) If there are more than 3 written protests to any trade, the trade will then be subjected to a confidential league wide vote.

Debt

1.) All salary is guaranteed at 50% of its face value.
2.) You will be assessed 50% of the annual salary per season for the life of the contract. Example: If you signed a player for 2 years at $10 and then release him before his contract expire, you would be responsible for $5 each season until his contract expires. This is "Debt."
3.) Total player debt is calculated on December 2nd and will be enforced until opening day, regardless if he is resigned by another team.
4.) Total player debt is always totaled by adding up all player debt, THEN rounding up to the nearest whole dollar.
5.) If another owner picks up a contracted player in which you are being assessed debt, that owner immediately becomes responsible for that player's contractual dollars and years, relieving the previous owner of any outstanding debt.
6.) If a team loses an owner, the players on that roster will be kept intact, but the organization will be wiped free of any outstanding contractual debt.
thedude
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: "This year I'm told that the team did well because one pitcher had a fine curve ball. I understand that a curve ball is thrown with a deliberate attempt to deceive. Surely that is not an ability we should want to foster at Harvard."Charles Eliot
"Professional athletes should not be role models. Hell, I know drug dealers who can dunk. Can drug dealers be role models?"-Charles Barkley

"Heroes and cowards feel exactly the same fear. Heroes just react to it differently."

"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.

Re: League Rules Discussion

Post by thedude »

I personally don't like the idea of seperate RF, LF, CF spots. If we wanted to have more starters we could make it more traditional and have C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, 1B/3B, 2B,SS Utl, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P. That would make it a little tougher.
teddy ballgame
T-Ball Trainer

Post by teddy ballgame »

I wouldn't mind turning the three Utils into IF, OF, and Util, but I'd rather not have LF, RF, and CF.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
T-Ball Trainer

Post by TheA'sFatLeadoffMan »

Is there a cut off time to which we can offer an extension on an intial FA contract?

In other words can I offer to extent FA#1's contract 3 years on the last day of the season? You said contracts expire Dec. 1 so I would assume so, just making sure.
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer
Roster Information: [quote]12 Teams - 6x6 (Normal plus OPS & Losses) - Rotisserie - 4 to 8 keepers per year

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

SP- Felix Hernandez*, Yu Darvish*, Yovani Gallardo*, Jonathon Niese, Marco Estrada

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Is there a cut off time to which we can offer an extension on an intial FA contract?

In other words can I offer to extent FA#1's contract 3 years on the last day of the season? You said contracts expire Dec. 1 so I would assume so, just making sure.

At this point, there are no extensions.

If FA#1 is going to be a free agent, then he falls in the restricted free agent (RFA) category. At this point, that means that the player will be thrown into the auction at the beginning of the next season. If someone else gets the winning bid (meaning nobody offers a higher bid after 7 days) you then have the option to MATCH that bid within 24-hours. If you want to match the offer, you get the player back at that price for those years.

The rules state right now that once you match one of your RFA's offers, you can't match any of the others. We can scrap that idea altogether and allow people to match ANY/ALL of their RFA's bids...

-OR-

...we can have people decide which 1 or 2 free-agents-to-be of theirs they want to label as RFA. For example, if I've got 4 players about to become free agents....George Brett, Don Mattingly, Rickey Henderson and Goose Gossage. Let's also say that we determine the limit for RFAs per season is 2. By December 1st, I must indicate which 2 of those 4 players I want to label as RFAs. I then declare George Brett and Don Mattingly my RFAs.

Now I have the option of matching the contract offers for those two and ONLY those two players.

....So, what is everyone in favor of? Quick breakdown:

Option #1: All FA-to-be are considered free agents and you can match any/all of their offers if you so choose.

Option #2: You must declare 1 or 2 FA-to-be as your RFA by December 1st. You may then match their offers if you so choose.

Option #3: A mixture of options #1 and #2....you don't have to declare specific free agents on December 1st, but there is a limit as to how many you can 'match' in the auction.

I hope that made sense.
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Is there a cut off time to which we can offer an extension on an intial FA contract?

I will also say....

If FA#1 is not UNDER CONTRACT....meaning he was not sold during the auction and that you picked him up off of free agency mid-season....then YES, you have the option of offering him a contract by December 1st at the following rates...

1/$10
2/$12
3/$14
4/$16
5/$18
6/$20

But if FA#1 has a contract, he will automatically be in the next spring's auction....and that's where the whole RFA thing comes into play.
thomasps3
T-Ball Trainer

Post by thomasps3 »

Restricted Free Agents
1.) Restricted free agents (RFA) are defined as any player no longer under contract (meaning his contract has expired while on a roster).
2.) If an RFA is sold during the auction, the team with RFA ties to that player has a 24-hour window in which he can "match" the final offer.
3.) The owner must have the valid dollars and years available for the "match" to be valid.
4.) If the owner chooses to "match" he will then immediately win that players contract, and assume the dollars and years.
5.) An owner is only allowed one RFA signing per offseason. That is to say, once an owner "matches" and wins one of his RFA's, he is no longer allowed to do so for any of his remaining RFA's. (My alternative suggestion to this is that an owner can name 1 or 2 --we must decide how many -- of his free agents-to-be as his RFA on December 1st, and then can "match" the final offers for only those 1 or 2 players if he wishes to do so....let me know what you think.)

I always work better with a "For Instance". Can you give me an example of this:
Restricted free agents (RFA) are defined as any player no longer under contract (meaning his contract has expired while on a roster).

My for instance on this is Mike Lowell. His contract expired for the Red Sox this year, and if he was on my roster, I could've matched his best offer received in the auction during hte next year?

And if that is correct, could I have also traded him during that time to a team that didn't have any RFA's? Thanks for letting the stupid kid learn!
BronXBombers51
T-Ball Trainer

*denotes keeper

C- Brian McCann
1B- Billy Butler
2B- Omar Infante
3B- Miguel Cabrera*
SS- Troy Tulowitzki*
OF- Andrew McCutchen*
OF- Nelson Cruz
OF- Carl Crawford
Utl- Pablo Sandoval*
Utl- Norichika Aoki

DL- Ian Kinsler*

DL- Alexi Ogando
[/quote]

Post by BronXBombers51 »

thomasps3 wrote:Restricted Free Agents
1.) Restricted free agents (RFA) are defined as any player no longer under contract (meaning his contract has expired while on a roster).
2.) If an RFA is sold during the auction, the team with RFA ties to that player has a 24-hour window in which he can "match" the final offer.
3.) The owner must have the valid dollars and years available for the "match" to be valid.
4.) If the owner chooses to "match" he will then immediately win that players contract, and assume the dollars and years.
5.) An owner is only allowed one RFA signing per offseason. That is to say, once an owner "matches" and wins one of his RFA's, he is no longer allowed to do so for any of his remaining RFA's. (My alternative suggestion to this is that an owner can name 1 or 2 --we must decide how many -- of his free agents-to-be as his RFA on December 1st, and then can "match" the final offers for only those 1 or 2 players if he wishes to do so....let me know what you think.)

I always work better with a "For Instance". Can you give me an example of this:
Restricted free agents (RFA) are defined as any player no longer under contract (meaning his contract has expired while on a roster).

My for instance on this is Mike Lowell. His contract expired for the Red Sox this year, and if he was on my roster, I could've matched his best offer received in the auction during hte next year?

And if that is correct, could I have also traded him during that time to a team that didn't have any RFA's? Thanks for letting the stupid kid learn!

No, his contract in the MLB has no significance, only his contract in our league.

Let's say you signed Mike Lowell to a 1 year $15 dollar contract this year. At the conclusion of this year, Mike Lowell would be eligible to be one of your RFA since his 1-year deal would expire and he'd be back in the auction next spring. Let's say you declare Mike Lowell as one of your RFAs.

Lowell enters the auction and I place a 4-year $25 dollar contract bid. Seven days pass and I'm still the leading bidder. I would normally win his rights, but since you have ties to him as a RFA, you get a 24-hour window to match my offer. If you choose to match the 4-year, $25 dollar offer, you automatically get him at that price. If you decide that you either don't want him, or that the price is too steep, I get him at that offer. In order to match my bid, though, you must have enough dollars and contract years available under the cap.

Players' actual MLB contracts expiring don't matter. All players in this league will be operating on contracts that we offer them, not on their actual MLB contracts.
The Artful Dodger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Post by The Artful Dodger »

thedude wrote:I personally don't like the idea of seperate RF, LF, CF spots. If we wanted to have more starters we could make it more traditional and have C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, 1B/3B, 2B,SS Utl, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P. That would make it a little tougher.

Yeah, I don't like the LF/CF/RF idea much.

BronXBombers51 wrote:Option #1: All FA-to-be are considered free agents and you can match any/all of their offers if you so choose.

Option #2: You must declare 1 or 2 FA-to-be as your RFA by December 1st. You may then match their offers if you so choose.

Option #3: A mixture of options #1 and #2....you don't have to declare specific free agents on December 1st, but there is a limit as to how many you can 'match' in the auction.

I like Option 3. I don't have to declare a RFA automatically, but there's a limit to matching offers (I propose 2 RFA's). So, if I was mulling over designating 2 of my 4 FA's as RFA's during the auction, this would give me flexibility to know who I'd like to match and if I can feasibly do so.

As for minor leaguers:

-I don't think we should have a 5 prospect minimum at all times. This could inhibit some flexibility I have in pushing forward on a deal. So, if I traded 2 out of my 5 minor leaguers for a major leaguer and had the means to do so, then this deal would be null and void, really.

-If a minor leaguer reaches his AB/IP limit, can you wait until Dec. 1 to make a decision to sign or release to FA? I think the owner has the right to release a prospect or sign to a contract. If it's the latter, someone on the MLB roster will have to be dropped.
Diving in the Box on Roto Database

"Shut up, Anti-sec." -Jose Mourinho
Broncmet724
T-Ball Trainer
Beginner: Yes

Post by Broncmet724 »

[quote="BronXBombers51"]
General Specifications:

1.) 12-Team Dynasty Auction (I would be willing to possibly bump this to 14 teams, but I'd rather not go higher than that.)

I'd rather stay 12 teams

Rosters:

1.) Starting Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Utl, Utl, Utl, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P (Another idea is to change the three OF spots to CF, LF, RF and then change 2 of the 3 Utl spots to IF and OF....might make it more like an actual MLB team and put greater value on those players who play CF.)

I'd rather keep the 3 OF. As far as changing 2 of the UTIL slots, what about a 1B/3B, 2B/SS?

3.) Any player with an expiring contract will be considered a 'Restricted Free Agent' (see RFA below)
4.) Contract bids are given out in terms of years, followed by annual dollars offered. Example: 3/$10 would be $10 per year times 3 years. The next logical bid would be either 4/$10 or 3/$11 with the highest 'annual' salary as the trump (1/$11 trumps $3/10).

Question here. Would an actual player take a 3/$10 or a 1/$11 contract?

I don't think we should designate who our RFA's might be, and I don't think you should have a limit set on how many you can keep. You'll be limited enough by years and dollars in my opinion.

2.) You must have at least 5 Minor League players in your system at all times. (What are the feelings on this? Should there be a minimum and what should it be?)

I don't think there should be a minimum.

4.) Any minor league player, not on our minor league rosters, is considered a free agent and their salary structure will follow the free agent guidelines. (Again, I think you should only be allowed to add a minor-leaguer mid-season if he is in the Yahoo! Database. That is to say, you can't fill your roster during the auction and then on opening day drop someone and pick up some hot prospect in the minors UNLESS that hot prospect is in Yahoo! already. The only way to obtain this prospect is through the minor league draft in Spring 2009.)

I think we should set a date, probably before the minor league draft, that you can release what ever minor leaguers you want to.

5.) Players on your minor league roster that received 130 MLB at-bats or 50 MLB innings pitched during his career are no longer considered Minor Leaguers and must be offered contracts on December 1st. (Or released? Say you have a guy on your minor league roster who is receives 150 AB or 50 IP...he can no longer be a part of your Minor League System, so are you forced to sign him to a contract or can you simply release him as a FA? Let me know what you think.)

You should be able to release him with out any penalties.

8.) Once activated, they cannot go back down to your minor league roster. They must be under contract as defined below. (Again, or released?)

If you've activated him, unless for injury purposes, you should have to offer him a contract in my opinion.

6.) You may 'release' up to 2 of the Minor League players on December 1st in order to make room for the Minor League Draft if you wish, but you are not obligated. Any minor league player that you 'release' enters the draft pool and is eligible to be drafted. (I added this but I'm unsure of it. It kind of goes hand-in-hand with the previous questions on releasing a minor leaguer...can you release them from your Minor League System at all, either because you don't want them or to make room for the draft?)

I think if you want before the draft you should be able to release any minor leaguer. I don't think we should allow it during the year.

7.) Minor league players are a trade-able commodity provided the teams do not exceed the 10 player max or fall below the 5 player minimum. (Again, not sure about the 5 player minimum.)

No minimum

10.) Any trade protest must be submitted privately within the 72-hour window to the commissioner. (Copied this from Hot Stove...does this mean that all trades take 72 hours to be allowed? Is that too long? What should it be?)

I don't know, I'd want at least 48 hours. I don't think 72 hours is excessive.

12.) Trades involving the commissioner will be decided upon by the assistant commissioner(s) and written protests should be sent to him. (Two assistant commissioners would probably be a good idea, first for the extra help and second just in case the commish and assistant commish trade with eachother.)

Or have a committee of the team owners in that case.

Return to “Hardball Dynasty League”