The Artful Dodger wrote:thedude wrote:I personally don't like the idea of seperate RF, LF, CF spots. If we wanted to have more starters we could make it more traditional and have C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, OF, 1B/3B, 2B,SS Utl, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P. That would make it a little tougher.
Yeah, I don't like the LF/CF/RF idea much.
Yeah, I'm getting the impression that this isn't too popular. The CI/MI/Utl instead of 3 Utl seems to be a common idea though. I'll probably put a lot of these items up for poll. I personally like the OF/OF/OF/CI/MI/Utl plan, though.
BronXBombers51 wrote:Option #1: All FA-to-be are considered free agents and you can match any/all of their offers if you so choose.
Option #2: You must declare 1 or 2 FA-to-be as your RFA by December 1st. You may then match their offers if you so choose.
Option #3: A mixture of options #1 and #2....you don't have to declare specific free agents on December 1st, but there is a limit as to how many you can 'match' in the auction.
I like Option 3. I don't have to declare a RFA automatically, but there's a limit to matching offers (I propose 2 RFA's). So, if I was mulling over designating 2 of my 4 FA's as RFA's during the auction, this would give me flexibility to know who I'd like to match and if I can feasibly do so.
Another thing that will likely be put to a vote, but I like this idea as well.
The only other thing I'd like to mention....you can still bid on your RFA as if he were any other free agent. That is to say...if YOU win the bid on your own RFA after 7 days...he's yours and that doesn't count as a 'match.' Basically what RFA allows you to do is see what the going rate on that player is based on the other teams in the league without involving yourself in the bidding war....then you can decide if the contract is fair enough for you and match it after the final bid has been made. But nothing prevents you from going out and bidding on all of your RFA if you so choose.
Just wanted to point that out, because I don't think I ever clarified that.
As for minor leaguers:
-I don't think we should have a 5 prospect minimum at all times. This could inhibit some flexibility I have in pushing forward on a deal. So, if I traded 2 out of my 5 minor leaguers for a major leaguer and had the means to do so, then this deal would be null and void, really.
-If a minor leaguer reaches his AB/IP limit, can you wait until Dec. 1 to make a decision to sign or release to FA? I think the owner has the right to release a prospect or sign to a contract. If it's the latter, someone on the MLB roster will have to be dropped.
Excellent point about the minimum. I'm leaning towards scrapping that idea as well. In addition, what if you're carrying 7 minor leaguers and 3 of them reach the AB/IP limits during the season...you'd then be forced to either offer them a contract or release them and put yourself below the minimum. I don't like the minimum...getting rid of it.
If your minor leaguer reaches his AB/IP limit you CAN wait until Dec. 1st to make a decision. You do NOT have to activate him if he is activated in real life. You can leave him on your minor league roster all season if you so choose. But if he does surpass those AB/IP limits, you must decide by Dec. 1st whether to offer him a contract (or release him....which seems to be another popular thought so far.)
As far as dropping someone on the MLB roster to make room....I guess yeah. I mean, you can't go over the 25 player roster limit. So if you already have 25 contracted players, you either have to drop one and assume their debt, or just release your minor league player to the FA pool.