Soriano over Santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano over Santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:17 pm

I think Soriano is way overrated. Maybe you guys can change my mind, but as of right now there is very little about him that I like. I cetainly dont expect him to return to the fluke yrs he had in NY anytime soon. His power numbers might climb a little from last yr, but no way do his SBs return.
Honestly , I think Marcus Giles will be more valuable than Soriano this yr - similar Rs, RBIs, slightly fewer HRs, with the SB edge going to Giles. We'll see I guess.
Either way, Soriano simply doesnt justify a 1st rd pick.

Santana on the other hand is the man - between him and Prior I cant think of any SPs Id rather have in a keeper league, and since elite SPs are clearly 1st rd picks in almost any format, Id say Santana is the easy choice.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Woolly » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:35 pm

I am not so sure that Giles will catch up to Soriano. I am a Braves fan and I hope Giles surpasses Soriano, but I have a couple of concerns about Giles.

1) He is reported to have shrunk since last season. Could be roids?
2) He gets hurt very often. Could be roids?

I know those aren't a lot to go on, and I wouldn't avoid drafting Giles all together, but I wouldn't be upset if I couldn't get my hands on him. I think Soriano has less risk and should rebound from last season's numbers. I would be extremely surprised if any 2nd baseman was able to surpass Soriano this season.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tal1286 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:43 pm

I also don't particularly like Soriano's decline. I would probably go with Santana.

well, let me rephrase that. Soriano is still a very good player. But...I don't think that he is worth as much as Santana in a keeper.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Soriano over Santana?

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:03 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:From the CBS site:

Ques: I can keep Johan Santana or Alfonso Soriano -- wish I could keep both. Which one would you hold on to?

B.B.: Ouch. That is rough. But it's an enviable spot to be in because both players qualify as the best at their positions. It seems this season the second-base pool is much more thin than those in the high-end of the starting pitcher's pool. So, in short, keep Soriano.

Soriano over Santana? I do not think so. Wonder if this guy also likes O. Cabrera in the 4th round?

your hatred for Soriano is amazing ... :-t
and aparently blinding too ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:18 pm

I don't totally buy that Soriano is 'done' and into a decline...he had an off year and is only 28.

At the same time, projectionwise, Santana appears more likely to be more productive so I would take him (and, in fact, did take him 7/10 last night...). Not necessarily a 'plan' but I was going 'best player' and snapped at Johan. I had him last year and, even if he doesn't repeat his 2nd half, he was still a very handy guy to have on a team. Maybe 1st round, maybe not, but there are quite a few marginal steals guys and I am not sold on Crawford being > Soriano or Santana and Santana actually seemed more conservative.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby rlee » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:19 pm

A week ago, I probably would have said Santana. But since then, I have read where Soriano will be moved back to the leadoff spot this year because Showalter wants him to run more(as has already been pointed out).

I think with that bit of added info, I would swing back to Soriano since it could be the return of 30+ SBs.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:35 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I don't totally buy that Soriano is 'done' and into a decline...he had an off year and is only 28.

28 by Dominican Republic standards. ;-7

I know I say that jokingly - but not really.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:39 pm

rlee wrote:A week ago, I probably would have said Santana. But since then, I have read where Soriano will be moved back to the leadoff spot this year because Showalter wants him to run more(as has already been pointed out).

I think with that bit of added info, I would swing back to Soriano since it could be the return of 30+ SBs.

Maybe someone can help me here, but when was the last time Buck had anyone steal more than, say, 25 SBs? Kapler stole 23 in 2001, but prior to that?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rlee » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
rlee wrote:A week ago, I probably would have said Santana. But since then, I have read where Soriano will be moved back to the leadoff spot this year because Showalter wants him to run more(as has already been pointed out).

Maybe someone can help me here, but when was the last time Buck had anyone steal more than, say, 25 SBs? Kapler stole 23 in 2001, but prior to that?

If Showalter was not going to let him run more, why would he put Soriano back at leadoff? Perhaps you're right. But it just seems to me that if he were not dedicated to this he would leave Soriano in the 3 hole :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:50 pm

rlee wrote:If Showalter was not going to let him run more, why would he put Soriano back at leadoff? Perhaps you're right. But it just seems to me that if he were not dedicated to this he would leave Soriano in the 3 hole :-?

Again, I say this only half jokingly:

Who's to say Buck is making any decisions at all when it comes to Soriano? Apparantly the guy has a blank check to play when and where he wants. The fact that he is one of the worst defensive 2B in the league and that he simply refuses to play OF says a lot about who's running the show. Maybe Soriano will run more if he wants to, maybe he "suggested" he bat leadoff. Who knows?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers