Matt Clement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Clement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Conner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

NL Central = 4.64 or 752 per team
AL East = 5.09 or 824 per team

Even if the AL East didn't get better....those numbers just don't lie. He's moving to a tougher place, in regards to the batters he'll be facing.

I think that pretty much settles it. I'm not even sure why it's being discussed, really.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:24 pm

mcmahojl wrote:
Im gonna have to disagree though. TOR didnt get better. Neither did TB. I dont think adding Sosa to the Oriols is that much of a boost for that team at all. Boston got better offensively, but not pitching wise. NY is the same team but with Tony Womack, RoidBoy and Tino - not really an improvement. Dont forget who was in the NL Central last yr player wise.


Did NY really need to get better?Yes Womack is not that big of an offensive increase, but who cares? The other 8 are studs. Red Sox will scare you almost top to bottom, the O's have a monster 3-4-5-6 lineup with a total of 115 HR and the lowest OPS of the four was .793. TB is no joke either. They can hit better than Mil and Pit.


ok fair enough - but go back and compare that to last yrs NL Central teams: STL had as good if not better a lineup than NY. HOU matched BOS stud for stud, then you compare the Cubs to the Orioles - again very very comparable if not giving the edge to CHC. It comes down to TOR and that AAA team compared to CIN, MIL, and PIT - CIN alone was better than either TOR or TB.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:27 pm

Conner wrote:NL Central = 4.64 or 752 per team
AL East = 5.09 or 824 per team

Even if the AL East didn't get better....those numbers just don't lie. He's moving to a tougher place, in regards to the batters he'll be facing.

I think that pretty much settles it. I'm not even sure why it's being discussed, really.


ok I let it slide the first time, but Runs are a pretty weak argument to say which team was better offensively. Park effect, strength of pitching, and strength of defenses have a greater impact on runs than actual talent.

This isnt a straight fantasy issue - its a stupid argument, definitely, but to quote total runs scored as the ipso facto conclusion that the ALEast was a better offensive division than the NL Central is short sighted.
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Conner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: It comes down to TOR and that AAA team compared to CIN, MIL, and PIT - CIN alone was better than either TOR or TB.


Actually, what it really comes down to is the DH.

Simple as that...
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Cornbread...I see your point. Plus, if we consider that Clement won't have to pitch against his own RedSox, the NL East of this year is probably not substatally better than the NL Cent of last year.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 454
Joined: 7 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Nebuchadnezzar

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:30 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:Cornbread...I see your point. Plus, if we consider that Clement won't have to pitch against his own RedSox, the NL East of this year is probably not substatally better than the NL Cent of last year.


thank you.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:30 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
mcmahojl wrote:
Im gonna have to disagree though. TOR didnt get better. Neither did TB. I dont think adding Sosa to the Oriols is that much of a boost for that team at all. Boston got better offensively, but not pitching wise. NY is the same team but with Tony Womack, RoidBoy and Tino - not really an improvement. Dont forget who was in the NL Central last yr player wise.


Did NY really need to get better?Yes Womack is not that big of an offensive increase, but who cares? The other 8 are studs. Red Sox will scare you almost top to bottom, the O's have a monster 3-4-5-6 lineup with a total of 115 HR and the lowest OPS of the four was .793. TB is no joke either. They can hit better than Mil and Pit.


ok fair enough - but go back and compare that to last yrs NL Central teams: STL had as good if not better a lineup than NY. HOU matched BOS stud for stud, then you compare the Cubs to the Orioles - again very very comparable if not giving the edge to CHC. It comes down to TOR and that AAA team compared to CIN, MIL, and PIT - CIN alone was better than either TOR or TB.


Last year:

Toronto 719 Runs
TB 714 Runs

Pitt 680 Runs
Brewers 634 Runs

Last year the AL East averaged 824.2 runs/team
The NL Centra averaged 751.83 runs/team
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:33 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Conner wrote:NL Central = 4.64 or 752 per team
AL East = 5.09 or 824 per team

Even if the AL East didn't get better....those numbers just don't lie. He's moving to a tougher place, in regards to the batters he'll be facing.

I think that pretty much settles it. I'm not even sure why it's being discussed, really.


ok I let it slide the first time, but Runs are a pretty weak argument to say which team was better offensively. Park effect, strength of pitching, and strength of defenses have a greater impact on runs than actual talent.

This isnt a straight fantasy issue - its a stupid argument, definitely, but to quote total runs scored as the ipso facto conclusion that the ALEast was a better offensive division than the NL Central is short sighted.


But I thought that we were discussing whether Clement will have a tougher time in the NL Central or AL East. The park effects, batters that he will be facing etc. are all relevant. The best indicator of that is runs scored.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 257)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:43 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Conner wrote:NL Central = 4.64 or 752 per team
AL East = 5.09 or 824 per team

Even if the AL East didn't get better....those numbers just don't lie. He's moving to a tougher place, in regards to the batters he'll be facing.

I think that pretty much settles it. I'm not even sure why it's being discussed, really.


ok I let it slide the first time, but Runs are a pretty weak argument to say which team was better offensively. Park effect, strength of pitching, and strength of defenses have a greater impact on runs than actual talent.

This isnt a straight fantasy issue - its a stupid argument, definitely, but to quote total runs scored as the ipso facto conclusion that the ALEast was a better offensive division than the NL Central is short sighted.


But I thought that we were discussing whether Clement will have a tougher time in the NL Central or AL East. The park effects, batters that he will be facing etc. are all relevant. The best indicator of that is runs scored.


Damn you Mookie for bring the argument back around to Clement. I was having fun arguing the merits of the two divisions.

It still boils down to the extra batter, and I adjusted my totals accordingly. His ERA will still be under 4, his WHIP under 1.3, good Ks, and decent wins. I still havent heard who you rank higher than him.

BTW - did Kent PM you his pick, Im itching to take my player. ;-D
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Conner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Conner wrote:NL Central = 4.64 or 752 per team
AL East = 5.09 or 824 per team

Even if the AL East didn't get better....those numbers just don't lie. He's moving to a tougher place, in regards to the batters he'll be facing.

I think that pretty much settles it. I'm not even sure why it's being discussed, really.


ok I let it slide the first time, but Runs are a pretty weak argument to say which team was better offensively. Park effect, strength of pitching, and strength of defenses have a greater impact on runs than actual talent.

This isnt a straight fantasy issue - its a stupid argument, definitely, but to quote total runs scored as the ipso facto conclusion that the ALEast was a better offensive division than the NL Central is short sighted.


But I thought that we were discussing whether Clement will have a tougher time in the NL Central or AL East. The park effects, batters that he will be facing etc. are all relevant. The best indicator of that is runs scored.


Exactly. :-b
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 760
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:59 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact