Matt Clement - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Clement

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:54 pm

If you could trade for Clement after the break, Boston's second half looks a lot easier than its first half. A lot of Detroit, Tampa, WSox, and Twins games after the break.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:03 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:If you could trade for Clement after the break, Boston's second half looks a lot easier than its first half. A lot of Detroit, Tampa, WSox, and Twins games after the break.

By that time Clement will be into his yearly dead-arm dive.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:04 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:If you could trade for Clement after the break, Boston's second half looks a lot easier than its first half. A lot of Detroit, Tampa, WSox, and Twins games after the break.

Yeah - that Detroit team sure sucks - probably one of the worst offenses around - White Sox too - especially at home. ;-7
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:05 pm

Im completely serious. Do you guys remember the NL Central last yr? Id much rather my pitchers faced the Yankmees, Orals, BJs and that AAA team than last yrs Cards, Astros, Reds, etc...

You can spit out all the childish innuendos you want...this yrs. AL East will crush last yrs. NL Central.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:07 pm

No way Clement finishes the year with a sub 4.00 ERA...
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I have to agree with mcmahojl on this point. THis year's NL central isn't as good as last years. Houston lost Beltran and didn't replace him with anybody. Stlouis lost Renteria and Cubs lost Alou and Sosa. Mil and Pitt will be mediocre as always (although they won't be horrible)...The AL East appears to be much stronger offensively this year.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:10 pm

mcmahojl wrote:
Im completely serious. Do you guys remember the NL Central last yr? Id much rather my pitchers faced the Yankmees, Orals, BJs and that AAA team than last yrs Cards, Astros, Reds, etc...

You can spit out all the childish innuendos you want...this yrs. AL East will crush last yrs. NL Central.

d'oh - I forgot we have some AAA fans around here. My bad. :-b

Im gonna have to disagree though. TOR didnt get better. Neither did TB. I dont think adding Sosa to the Oriols is that much of a boost for that team at all. Boston got better offensively, but not pitching wise. NY is the same team but with Tony Womack, RoidBoy and Tino - not really an improvement. Dont forget who was in the NL Central last yr player wise.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:13 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:I have to agree with mcmahojl on this point. THis year's NL central isn't as good as last years. Houston lost Beltran and didn't replace him with anybody. Stlouis lost Renteria and Cubs lost Alou and Sosa. Mil and Pitt will be mediocre as always (although they won't be horrible)...The AL East appears to be much stronger offensively this year.

thats not the argument though. Its This yrs AL East vs. Last yrs NL Central, so Beltran, Edgar, Alou, Sosa etc... were playing in the NL Central for the comparison. Obviously Sosa and Renteria would be in both leagues to compare them (only a yr older).
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Im gonna have to disagree though. TOR didnt get better. Neither did TB. I dont think adding Sosa to the Oriols is that much of a boost for that team at all. Boston got better offensively, but not pitching wise. NY is the same team but with Tony Womack, RoidBoy and Tino - not really an improvement. Dont forget who was in the NL Central last yr player wise.

Did NY really need to get better?Yes Womack is not that big of an offensive increase, but who cares? The other 8 are studs. Red Sox will scare you almost top to bottom, the O's have a monster 3-4-5-6 lineup with a total of 115 HR and the lowest OPS of the four was .793. TB is no joke either. They can hit better than Mil and Pit.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:21 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

By that time Clement will be into his yearly dead-arm dive.

I've always thought of Clement as being a second half performer (last year being the exception)...so I checked some numbers:

PreAllstar Break PostAllstar Break
'04 2.91era/1.18whip/.217BAA 5.09era/1.46whip/.250BAA

'03 4.39era/1.26whip/.240BAA 3.74era/1.19whip/.209BAA

'02 3.85era/1.18whip/.223BAA 3.32era/1.23whip/.207BAA

'01 5.47era/1.59whip/.272BAA 4.46era/1.42whip/.261BAA

These numbers seem to imply that last year was more likely an aberration...at least I hope so.

I have him projected at 16-10/200IP/3.83era/1.29whip/192K's.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers