Interesting Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:17 pm

I have heard of a similar strategy where an owner punts the HR and RBI catagories. It has worked in the past, but I have never heard of it working in a head to head league.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mordraken » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:24 pm

IMO the guy went over-board on pitching. It was a good strategy, but here's where I think he made his mistake: After the 4th round, he had a great staff already. That was when he should have added a few bats, then moved back to pitching. Having Satana, Johnson, Oswalt, Rivera would already give him (probably) the best staff in the league. Adding 2-3 batters with picks 5, 6, 7 would have dramatically improved his batting, then go back and take people like Graves & Clement and a few others (middle relievers and/or closers) to finish off the pitching categories.

His batting could be good - especially if he gets 100/100 production out of Wilson, Hunter, Kearns, Thomas and Ordonez. He can also win with Average... lots of decent average players there.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:29 pm

I agree, w/ Santana and Unit, there's not really a need to have an elite closer like Rivera as he probably led off or was near the start of that particular closer run whereas other guys available quite a bit cheaper would have gotten as many saves. The SP will give you a fairly huge lead in K so getting K out of the RP is not as much of an issue but you would miss out on quite a few very productive hitters in the same tier who would have made the team more competitive.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:19 pm

The strategy can work, his implementation probably won't. He went heavy pitchers and then mostly hitters with question marks and unless they all stay healthy he is not going to have a good year. The key to using a strat like this is to go all pitchers and then heavy into one or two hitting stats. Get all high AVG guys at top of order who will get decent R's and some SB and hope to win 2 hitting cats a week out of AVG, R, SB is probably the best way to go. People generally overrate the HR/RBI guys and slightly underrate the R/AVG guys.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:28 pm

I predict this guy gets worked! He better hope he gets full value out of his pitching, which never happens.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mtarail » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:59 pm

This guy is gonna get worked. You know you have trouble when Sean Casey is your most reliable offensive player. 1/2 the other guys will probably be on the IL or the waiver wire within a few months.

He better start trying to make some trades for offense, and quick!
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GameOver » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:05 pm

Preston Wilson (If healthy) is going to pretty good, but that is pretty weak batters..
GameOver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ChewbaccasBalls » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:17 pm

I tried this strategy 2 or 3 years ago (I might have had little stonger SB team team though).

His thinking is that he'll sweep the 5 pitching categories each week and is hoping to catch an Hitting category to get the 6-4 W.

It worked out okay for me, finished the regular season about 5th (which is where I expected going ~6-4 each week). What kills you is
1) One bad outing from one of your starters can really blow your week.
2) If your going against a smart GM he will either go with:
- Minimum Inning Strat - Roll the dice and go with his best matchup and hope he catches a gem from his starter (stealling the whip and era categories)
- Closer Strat - Loads up on closers and hopes to get his 1 pitching category there

After trying it I rather have a better all round team and only concede a few categories than 5.
ChewbaccasBalls
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:22 pm

ChewbaccasBalls wrote:I tried this strategy 2 or 3 years ago (I might have had little stonger SB team team though).

His thinking is that he'll sweep the 5 pitching categories each week and is hoping to catch an Hitting category to get the 6-4 W.

It worked out okay for me, finished the regular season about 5th (which is where I expected going ~6-4 each week). What kills you is
1) One bad outing from one of your starters can really blow your week.
2) If your going against a smart GM he will either go with:
- Minimum Inning Strat - Roll the dice and go with his best matchup and hope he catches a gem from his starter (stealling the whip and era categories)
- Closer Strat - Loads up on closers and hopes to get his 1 pitching category there

After trying it I rather have a better all round team and only concede a few categories than 5.

Yeah see thats the bad part...say one of your top 2 pitchers gets hurt...there goes your 6-4 strategy...what if 2 of your better pitchers both have bad outings....well your offense isn't gonna handle it...if your going all offense or all pitching always choose offense in H2H...one guy goes througha slump well it doesn't matter as much...You have 9 other guys to pick up the slack ( If you use a ultility ) or you can put a hot bench player in.....But you should always just try to be balanced and be in the running every week for every cat except maybe saves in H2H. ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers