Interesting Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting Draft Strategy

Postby Bobblehead » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 am

I just had my first live draft this year last night. After the draft I was looking over the draft results by team and found something a little unusual. One of the owners took pitchers witht he first 8 picks of his draft. He has a great staff but can his team hold up with the hitters he has?

This is a standard 5x5 H2H 12 team league. It was a snake draft and this team had the 10th overall pick. Take a look at his roster and let me know what you think. I put the round selected to the right of each player's name.

1B Sean Casey 14
2B Brian Roberts 15
SS B. Crosby 17
3B Ryan Freel 18
C J. Estrada 13
OF Magglio Ordonez 9
OF Tori Hunter 11
OF Preston Wilson 12
DH Austin Kearns 16
BN Frank Thomas 19
BN D. Jimenez 20
BN P. Polanco 21

SP Johann Santana 1
SP Randy Johnson 2
RP Mariano Rivera 4
RP Izzy 6
P Roy Oswalt 3
P Jake Peavy 5
P Rich Harden 7
BN Matt Clement 10
BN Danny Graves 8
Bobblehead
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foulballstrike3 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:11 am

Well, the guy is going to go 5-5 every week, unless Freel can get him enough SBs to go 6-4. His bats are brutal, even though his pitching staff is unreal. Some of those pitchers, such as Peavy went too late. He is going to need to trade one of those pitchers to get some help in the IF.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chris8 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:13 am

Looks like he hopes to win every pitching cat and sneak a win in one of the hitting cats (probably SBs), so he's aiming to win each match-up 6-4.

If that's how he wants to go, fine, but I don't think it will work. Pitching is notoriously unreliable...he'd have been better off drafting all hitters and trying to win one pitching cat a week IMO.

But I prefer a balanced team anyway!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:16 am

I'd say that what's probably the weakest link in that is the RP. While Rivera is amazing, Izzy has question marks/ durability issues and Graves and the Reds don't necessarily guarantee saves on a weekly basis. W/O that category, the strategy falls apart.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TB13 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

If going with such a stragegy (appears to be pitching and speed), then a mid-round pick needed to be used on a Pods or Dave Roberts.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lbcnjk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:40 am

I do a couple yahoo public league drafts every year, mainly just to practice drafting for my pay leagues, but there are always a couple teams that load up on pitching. Pretty soon your going to get bombarded with trade offers. They draft pitching, and hope some team that doesn't have much pitching will over pay for one of their pitchers. In a points league it's one thing, in H2H they'll get creamed. If all owners refuse to trade with that team, they finish nicely settled in last place.
lbcnjk Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:51 am

that offense isnt as bad as i thought it would be but obviously depends on maggs and preston being healthy and productive. its not going to be enough though. i was in a league last year where a team went with pitchers in five out of the first six picks and that team finished middle of the pack.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:19 am

I was picking 7/10 last PM and ended up w/ Santana and also grabbed Zambrano, Beckett, Bonderman and Kevin Brown which seems like decent pitching.

The bats are a bit weak, but I still got Beltre and Edmonds as the 'big guns' along w/ Marcus Giles, Nomar and Konerko...all my 1B guys kept getting picked and I could've had lee but didn't want to 'over Cub' and it worked out ok. I really was not intending to go for SP that early but they stayed on the board and I couldn't help myself.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:28 am

Yep, as was mentioned before pitching is very unpredictable. In one league I tried drafting all closers/RP to try and win Saves, Holds, ERA, and WHIP, while hoping to win most hitting categories. That failed miserably, since pitchers can have bad (or very bad) nights that skew the results. This guy is in for it.

An interesting strategy, though. If everybody remains healthy and returns (or arrives) at peak form, he'll look like a genius. But the odds are against him...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Arlo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:47 pm

Interesting strategy, and not a bad lineup of hitters, considering. However, as TB13 said, another speedster wouldn't have been a bad idea. Plus, if the league uses daily changes, I'd feel a bit safer going into the season with at least one more closer, probably two.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers