auction question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

auction question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 pm

The key is to learn from your mistake. Next year you will plan better and not have money left over. You always want to spend ALL your money
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:42 pm

Leaving a couple dollars on the table isn't that big a deal If you got the players you wanted, a couple dollars in reserve to cover if the bidding had escalated is fine. If you can swing a deal for a player you would rather have (probably to an owner who needs to clear some cap space) then jump on it. Don't sweat it too much though,
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby crapshooter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:23 am

I agree that having a couple of dollars left isn't that big a deal as long as you got the players you wanted. It's much better than having players at the end of the draft you want but come up a dollar short to bid.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deadfish65 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:55 pm

I admire your confidence that you can predict that a player should go for exactly $2.
deadfish65
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm

Yeah don't worry about the extra money. Nothing wrong with getting the players you wanted for less....especially if it's a keeper, because that means it would cost you less next year as well.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Better to have extra at the end than having $8 to fill 8 spots with.

I always have $3 or more at the end. If someone brings up a player you really want near the end at $1-$2, you can up them (and in most cases, they can't up your bid).

And what better feeling than making your opponent feel helpless because they don't have the cash to bid on someone they really wanted ;-D
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mordraken » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:36 pm

I agree - if you got players that you wanted, then it's no big deal if you had a FEW dollars left... and on a $200 cap, I'd say having $10 left is about the most that I would say is acceptable.

However, calling out players for $1 that you expect others to out-bid you on is dangerous. It's relatively safe for blue-chip players (e.g. "I don't want Barry Bonds, so I'll call him out for $1 and let someone else drop a bunch of their cap on one player"). But for cheaper players (like Gavin Floyd who is probably only worth $1 if he's worth a roster spot at all), you have to be prepared to take the player if nobody outbids you. A good example of that might be Jason Giambi who could be a big lump of fatty-flesh without the JUICE... call him out for $1, and raise to $4, and you might be stuck with him.

Also, while it's perfectly fine to end up with a $1 player that you had valued at $4 on your roster, having too many of those may really hurt your team. It's like loading up with prospects insead of signing blue-chip players. As long as you used the $3 you "saved" on that player to edge out the bidding on a Todd Helton, then you'll be fine.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers