Biggest Comback - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest Comback

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Biggest Comback

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:13 pm

Whats your biggest come back in Fantasy Baseball from the All-Star break on? Roto or Head-to-Head League? If you have any other details like how you did it, how far behind you were (points/games), who carried your team, any crucial midseason pickups/trades, etc.

Or how about your biggest comeback with a month left?

The leagues I have won I've always been within a few spots of first place in a Roto league probably within 15 total points 6X6 10 man league. Nothing Spectacular.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:27 am

I've got too many stories, good and bad ..

Last season I was in 8th place at the break and finished in 2nd. It was NL Only for money too, so it made it even sweeter. I basically punted Hr's and RBi's in the 2nd half and focused soley on Pitching Ratios, BA, SB, and Runs. I calculated where I needed to trade my power players to, in order to lower somebody else in the over all standings. Picked up the key players that would move me up the ladder and walla ... everything worked like a charm as I slipped into 2nd place on the final week.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Arlo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:07 pm

I think my biggest comeback was last season, when I turned a 20-point 5x5 deficit into a lead of 10-15 points in the final month (against Dan S., no less :-D ). It was a just-for-fun league, and I had saved up a huge chunk of my IP cap in the early going while relying heavily on hitters ... you can guess the rest. Spot starters can go a long way. :-)

Anyway, it was just an experiment, but an interesting one.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:27 pm

In '02 I was running 14th in a 16-team H2H ($) league the third week of June (so actually a couple weeks before the break).
I moved up to 6th to grab the final playoff spot -- then won the first-round matchup before getting dumped in the semis. Got my investment back and a little beer money :-°.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:38 pm

I've been playing with the same guys since Jr. High. I win every other year or so, maybe a little more often than that. But my closest friend in the league has never, never been able to beat me. He's never finished above me in 12 years.

One summer a few years ago, though, I was away from my computer for a few months. I couldn't check from May until late August. All I had was my draft and that was it. When I had the opportunity to check, I found out that I was way down in the standings, 4th or 5th place.

So I got serious. I checked obsessively. And on the last day of the season, I took first place, beating my friend by .00something in Whip. Good times.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:46 pm

I was 11 out of 13 (roto) at the beginning of May and 9 or 13 at the end of May last year thanks to guys named Riske, Herges and Contreras. But I stormed back to snag 2nd place on the last weekend thanks to the second halfs of Teixera, Mench, Lee and Santana, a trade for Tejada and making up tons of points in saves.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:32 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:In '02 I was running 14th in a 16-team H2H ($) league the third week of June (so actually a couple weeks before the break).
I moved up to 6th to grab the final playoff spot -- then won the first-round matchup before getting dumped in the semis. Got my investment back and a little beer money :-°.

I have a similar story. In 04, I was in dead last in our 10 team, H2H $ League at the end of June. I turned it around at that point and won a lot of games to finish only 5 games behind the division winner and wound up winning the entire thing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtarail » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:28 pm

I went from middle of the pack in early June to running away with the league by getting Oliver Perez and Jeff Weaver (don't laugh), and by Santana and Ichiro's incredible performances.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers