Down on Helton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Down on Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby swyswy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks all. I guess getting Tejada and Helton is a good thing.
swyswy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:42 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote: By having him on your roster for 550-600 AB's with an almost guaranteed average of .350, it allows you the luxury of having a few power guys that don't hit for a great average. They usually come pretty cheap.

That's the key for me. It lets you get guys like Wilkerson in late rounds with 30+ home run and 15-20+ sb potential without worrying about their dreadful batting average.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby colt4523 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:45 pm

I got him with the 12th pick in a 15 team league. It was between him or Santana and since I already had Santana in my other league, I snatched up helton. He is still one of the elite hitters in the game and should put up incredible numbers once again.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:59 pm

2000 - 1.162 OPS
2001 - 1.116 OPS
2002 - 1.006 OPS
2003 - 1.088 OPS
2004 - 1.088 OPS

The man is the model for consistency. He is the safe pick of safe picks. If you are in a less competitive league, Helton is a great first round pick. In more competitive leagues, you might want a more high risk/high reward type player like RJ.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:04 am

bleach168 wrote:2000 - 1.162 OPS
2001 - 1.116 OPS
2002 - 1.006 OPS
2003 - 1.088 OPS
2004 - 1.088 OPS

The man is the model for consistency. He is the safe pick of safe picks. If you are in a less competitive league, Helton is a great first round pick. In more competitive leagues, you might want a more high risk/high reward type player like RJ.

I have said it before, what you have pretty much summed up. Helton having a nice year is basically one of the only definites in fantasy baseball.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Biohazard » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:07 am

Helton is one of, if not the most consistent player in baseball. You got a steal in round two. ;-D
Biohazard Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby roadrunner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:34 am

have to say i like teixeira over helton. i think he will have a better year than helton. without larry walker and vinny castilla, helton will be overrated due to the coors effect.
i'm not disputing that he is consistent, but only saying teixeira will hit closer to 40 hr's and 120 rbi's and could hit close to .290- .295. and texas' line-up is a little more stacked then colorado which could mean teix. will score more runs, and the enemic rockies offense will play 81 games on the road this season too.
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:47 am

Helton's biggest problem these days is the AAAA lineup he's stuck in the middle of. And if Preston doesn't make it back, opponents won't have to pitch to him at all.

Hey, I'm not a hater ... the dude can rake, and he'll definitely give you BA or OBP, whichever you use. But the overall power numbers will continue to shrink, and he never did steal. I might take him at the very bottom of the first round, but his days as a 4-7 overall pick are over.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rjforlife » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:49 am

roadrunner wrote:have to say i like teixeira over helton. i think he will have a better year than helton. without larry walker and vinny castilla, helton will be overrated due to the coors effect.
i'm not disputing that he is consistent, but only saying teixeira will hit closer to 40 hr's and 120 rbi's and could hit close to .290- .295. and texas' line-up is a little more stacked then colorado which could mean teix. will score more runs, and the enemic rockies offense will play 81 games on the road this season too.

you cannot take tex over helton for one reason...avg. helton WILL hit 330 while tex AT BEST would hit 295, and thats a stretch. with no reason to think the other numbers will be greatly different between the 2 i would say helton is clear cut no. 2 1B. you have to remember he should have a healthy preston wilson hitting behind him, which should help out a lot.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby kev921 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:04 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:He is being undervalued. Possibly because of his supporting cast.

I've had to pick 12th in 2 leagues already this year and have grabbed Helton both times in that spot. I'm more than happy to get him that late.

Heloton is a steal for the 12th pick. Helton's stats are not flashy or Sportscenter worthy, but they are SOLID. ;-D
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers