Down on Helton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Down on Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Down on Helton

Postby swyswy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:12 pm

I am in three leagues so far, and I have Helton in all three. In one of them, I took him with the second pick in the second round (14th). Are you guys down on Helton this year?
swyswy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:15 pm

I like Helton just fine, very consistent, low risk, good yield guy.

Not very exciting for some reason though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:25 pm

He is being undervalued. Possibly because of his supporting cast.

I've had to pick 12th in 2 leagues already this year and have grabbed Helton both times in that spot. I'm more than happy to get him that late.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:28 pm

He should always go anywhere from 5-8 every year...The model of consistently, just like an Abreu but slighty better. ( Coors always helps ;-D )
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:31 pm

He's fallen from his elite days. He used to be a mi first round pick with a 45-125-125 probability. Now he'll likely be around 30-100-100. His BA is what makes him so valuable, but his R, RBI, and HR have fallen a ton form where he used to be at. At #12 he isn't a bad pick but I'd be disappointed if he was my first rounder.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:43 pm

i am somewhat down on him. homers have been somewhat pedestrian the last few years although i heard he added a few pounds in the offseason. supporting cast is somewhat of a concern. he didnt even reach 100 rbi last year. i hope the guys in front of him are better and preston wilson is back in form so he has some protection (although strange to say it will probably be less than what he had last year in vinny castilla and jeremy burnitz). he has a great batting average but his mediocre power numbers relative to the other top flight 1b's has dropped helton to the bottom of the first round.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 pm

He's simply just not getting pitched to as he once was.

Sure, 30 HR's and 100 RBI's may be all he gets but he'll be closer to 120 Runs than 100. And yes his great value is his average. By having him on your roster for 550-600 AB's with an almost guaranteed average of .350, it allows you the luxury of having a few power guys that don't hit for a great average. They usually come pretty cheap.

Helton is definitely still a first rounder.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kage812004 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:53 pm

ive done 2 live drafts so far and got him on both of my teams. i had pick 11 and pick 10 in those drafts and i wanted him as my 1st rounder but passed because i honeslty thought he would get back to me and he did. i grabbed C.Crawford with my 1st round pick in both of those drafts, i know he is a 2nd rounder but like i said, i thought helton would get back to me before crawford and it worked out.

helton is solid as hell and is a 1st round pick but if u can get him in the 2nd like me thats even better.
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby This is the year » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:58 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:although i heard he added a few pounds in the offseason. .

Actually he trimmed down a lot. He took off weight he put on last offseason thinking they would help his power numbers, but when they had no effect he decided to trim the fat.

He's one of my favorite players, the model of consistency, and in an OBP or BB league, watch out! definitely a first rounder
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:10 pm

I'm in a league that uses OBP so Helton is still a stud...but the linup that he is in is just terrible. Worst in the NL by far. He may not even match his pedestrian homer and rbi numbers from last year in that suck-@ss lineup. He should walk a ton and hit for a nice average. No longer worthy of a first round pick in my opinion. There are easily 15 other guys I'd rather have than Helton (in a mixed league....in NL only, he is probably a first round pick).
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers