Vetoable? Young for Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vetoable? Young for Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:40 am

rich101682 wrote:The same 2 teams have done LoDuca for Mauer with the guy getting M. Young getting Mauer. 2 trades in one day. Any more reason to suspect?

Yes, be suspicious. Don't accuse them, but watch them like a hawk. LoDuca for Mauer can't be vetoed, but it does give you a reason to watch them even closer. I would still veto the Young/Wells deal (unless he posted reasoning), but that's just me.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:42 am

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be Young for V. Wells and I was ready with a David Wells joke. 8-o

I don't really like vetoing, but that trade is not right.
Unless the dude picked up Young in the 8th round or something (I doubt it) he should know Young's value.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:10 am

Absolutely. More often than not you can find out if it is collusion or just plain idiocy by talking to the owners involved.

No good cheater ever admits to collusion.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 am

I guess I'll chime in since this has become a serious discussion.

You can't legislate against stupidity. If this trade is strictly legit and the guy thinks this is a good deal, then he made his own bed. Never veto a stupid trade.

On the other hand...

If this has any other evidence to support collusion, veto in a heartbeat.

That's a terrible deal.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:14 am

I am not sure that it totally justifies collusion as it's not clear that Mike Young is a spare SS or not. If a guy ended up w/ extras, I'd give them some more latitude-- one guy in our league has 5 3B(!!). If, OTOH, he DOESN'T have a quality SS backup, and is going to grab Berroa (who may improve, of course...one never knows..) or some other marginal guy off the WW, that would be a bit fishy.

Also, I think that it is TOTALLY wrong to exploit your insider's angle as the commisioner to try and poach Young for yourself. If you DO veto the trade, you should adopt a hands off approach to him, at least for now. The loaded pitcher owner would undoubtedly be furious if you did that to him and made off with Young for somebody splitting the difference in value (> Wells but still < Young...) and would be somewhat likely to say &^%$ it and abandon the league.

I can't believe though, that if he'd been offered Wells, he'd not be able to shop Young around for a bit more pitching.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby crapshooter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:17 am

Why would you veto a trade made before the season even starts? If its end of season and could make a difference in standings maybe, but at this time of the year all the players are just risk as to what they will do.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:20 pm

Wait...some people think I am commish. It's a public league and we did an auto-draft. So I can't veto by myself.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, the team that traded Wells for Young also just traded the same guy LoDuca for Mauer. So the trade is basically this:

Team A gets:
Mauer
Michael Young

Team B gets:
David Wells
Paul LoDuca

I put up a post the other day that said this:

I just wanted to make sure there was no colusion or anything going on with this trade. I'm not accusing anyone, but I've been in a ton of these leagues and it's happened so much that any kind of uneven trade makes me worry.

But if both aprties are satisfied with the trade, then that's a steal.

Yesterday, this was posted by someone else in our league:

This trade makes no sense. Young is a rising star who is still getting better every year and Wells is a 42 year-old has been with very little, if anything left. The purpose of every team receiving an email announcing a proposed trade is so each team can vote for or reject the trade based on their opinion of whether or not the trade is fair for both teams involved. A trade like this should be voted against. Redbirds should receive a much better player than Wells for Young.

Then the team that got the Young/Mauer end of the deals put this up today:

I'm not trying to rip anyone off or anything i thought i put up a trade with one of my other players but i accidently put up david wells and redbirds accepted.

I was beginning to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone, but when he made such a sorry-assed excuse, now I'm double suspicious. How can you ACCIDENTALLY choose the wrong player? You have to go through seeing that person's name 2 TIMES before you can submit the trade.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has voiced an opinion. We're on page 3 and everyone has made nothing but good points.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:33 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Absolutely. More often than not you can find out if it is collusion or just plain idiocy by talking to the owners involved.

No good cheater ever admits to collusion.

I wouldn't expect them to admit to it, but the response (or lack thereof) can be a very good clue on what it going on.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:09 am

rich101682 wrote: Then the team that got the Young/Mauer end of the deals put this up today:

I'm not trying to rip anyone off or anything i thought i put up a trade with one of my other players but i accidently put up david wells and redbirds accepted.

Ugh. This sounds bad. I was with the no veto crowd until I read this. That's a lousy excuse.
I would see if you can get a few words of explanation from the manager receiving Wells. In an autopick draft, I could see I guy getting shafted on starting pitchers and being desperate. That, combined with a little stupidity, would be enough to make a guy do a dumb trade.

If the other manager's explanation doesn't seem right to you (maybe he "accidentally" hit accept or "accidentally" thought it's 1999 right now?), I would officially raise a stink and vote to veto.

Oh, and I too thought that you were talking about Vernon Wells and wondered what the big deal was.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers