Jeff Allison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jeff Allison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff Allison

Postby oakiedragon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:42 am

Anyone know what the deal is with Jeff Allison. Last I heard in Nov. he claimed that he kicked his habit and was going to be ready to go by spring. I havent heard anything good or bad since so I was wondering if anyone had any info on him out there
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:32 pm

I wouldn't be holding my breath, it looks like he is following Josh Hamtilton's career ... except Josh played some games before the problems came out.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:27 am

I heard he's expected to be in camp, but I've also heard from some other people in the area (I live 15 miles from Allison's hometown) that he hasn't kicked his habit. It's unfortunate.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:09 pm

a definite waste of talent so far to begin his career...i would not expect it to change for a while if ever
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:31 pm

here is some new news, not much but....

from rotoworld:

Jeff Allison - S - Marlins

Former first-round draft pick Jeff Allison may not get another chance to pitch for the Marlins organization.
The highly touted prospect has battled addiction problems since being drafted in June of 2003. Allison remains on the team's ''restricted'' list and the team refuses to say if Allison will be allowed to report to minor-league training camp. Mar. 7 - 9:25 am et
Source: Miami Herald
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:07 pm

I really hope he gets his life back on track again...it would be a shame seeing all of that talent go to waste.
joshyboy72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JRM4833 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:07 am

From what I hear around the North Shore in Massachusetts (where Allison is from) he is done. He can't kick the habit but he continues to tell people he has/will. A recent report:

PalmBeachPost

Status of ex-No. 1 pick still uncertain

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

JUPITER — The Marlins will open their minor-league spring-training camp today without former No. 1 draft pick Jeff Allison.

Last year Allison reported to camp in April, five weeks late, then left in May without permission, prompting the team to place him on its restricted list without pay.

Allison blamed the absences on an addiction to OxyContin, which was detailed in a December 2004 Sports Illustrated story. He was fined $200,000 by the Marlins for failing a drug test for marijuana that spring.

This year, the Marlins hope he will join minor-league camp, perhaps as early as April, said a source with knowledge of Allison's situation. "He's got to get clean first, but we hope to see him here," the source said.

Allison signed with the Marlins for a $1.85 million bonus after he was drafted with the 16th overall pick in the first round of the June 2003 amateur draft. The Marlins have withheld about two-thirds of that bonus because of his drug problems.

He was Baseball America's High School Player of the Year after going 9-0 without allowing an earned run in 64 innings for Peabody (Mass.) High School.

But after pitching nine innings for the Marlins' Gulf Coast League team that summer, he was sidelined with what was described as shoulder tendinitis.

In November, the 20-year-old pitcher told his hometown newspaper, The Salem (Mass.) News, that he planned to return to the Marlins.

"I talked with the club... and they said I'm welcomed (back)," he said. "I definitely intend to be there."

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:43 pm

A few months back there was an article in Sports Illustrated on him. It doesn't talk about how he is doing very much, but is a very interesting story. The kid was poor and still dished out $80 for one pill of OxyContin. Well anyways, I hope he gets his life back on track.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ensanimal » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:37 pm

change of tone now it seems from the last couple of updates....

from rotoworld:
Jeff Allison - S - Marlins

Jeff Allison, the team's first-round pick in 2003, will not join the organization in any capacity during spring training.
The saga of the former Baseball America High School Player of the Year continues. He has been in and out of substance abuse treament centers over the last year, and it looks like the Marlins are trying to wash their hands of him. Mar. 9 - 10:29 am et
Source: Miami Herald
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:40 pm

from rotoworld:
Jeff Allison - Starting Pitcher - Marlins Apr. 9, 2005 - 7:36 pm et

2003 first-round pick Jeff Allison has been removed from Florida's restricted list and been placed on the temporary active list at Single-A Greensboro.
Allison, who says he has recovered from an additition to the painkiller OxyContin, will probably join the active roster soon. It's good news for a pitcher whose Marlins career seemed to be over last year. He looked like an excellent prospect before missing 2004.
Source: marlins.mlb.com
ensanimal

Return to Minor League & College Baseball