Closer quandry: gimme a hand! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer quandry: gimme a hand!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer quandry: gimme a hand!

Postby jnr98 » Thu May 01, 2003 1:51 pm

All of my closers are on the DL: Kaz, Izzy and Trevor. Not good. So I have made a patchwork of fill-ins to bridge the gap. First Acevedo, then Borowski, etc. You get the point. Now I have Nelson.

Lance Carter is a FA in my league and someone just waived Looper. Also, but less attractive, Escobar and Matt Anderson are available.

Is Carter the one to go with? Or to I place a claim on Looper? Or are both mediocre enough that Carter will suffice until my main guys return?

Thanks
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Thu May 01, 2003 2:01 pm

Well, if you currently have Acevedo, Nelson and Borowski all on your roster, I would drop some of them to get the permanent closers off the wire. Acevedo won't be closing now that Rivera is back from the DL so probably has little value. Alfonseca is back early next week probably, and will likely get the closer's job back, giving Borowski little value. It's unclear when Sasaki will be back, but the closer job in Seattle is currently a platoon with Nelson and Rhodes, meaning that Nelson even right now likely isn't much more useful than a permanent closer.

Looper and Carter have both looked solid so far. Looper does have the advantage that he plays for a team likely to win more games than Tampa. Also, because of the way Florida plays, relying on speed and "small ball", they are likely to have more save opportunities than many teams. I don't think Anderson is that bad of an option either, because Detroit has to win 40 games and they won't be blowing people out, meaning Anderson is likely to get 25-30 saves. I wouldn't touch Escobar with a 10 foot pole right now; he is getting shelled in save and non-save situations and the Jays are likely to trade him to a contender to be a setup man as soon as he gets it together. In the meantime, he will be nothing more than an ERA and WHIP drain.

If you currently have Acevedo, Borowski and Nelson on your roster, I would dump all three of them for Looper, Carter, and Anderson.

If you can only pick up one or two of them, I would do so in this order of preference:

1. Looper
2. Carter
3. Anderson
4. Escobar
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jnr98 » Thu May 01, 2003 2:10 pm

I only have one open spot; I had been using the others on a rotating basis as each had value for a finite period of time. But since there are two semi-solid, defined closers available, it seemed like the right move. Nelson was just the most recent move for me (as Alfonseca is due back).

I took Carter now and will consider Looper once he clears waivers. I am not wasting my WW position on him.
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Clevelander » Thu May 01, 2003 2:52 pm

look at herges...as well
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dzcondor » Thu May 01, 2003 3:01 pm

I would use the waiver pick on Looper. He has been very good and looks to be finally ready to fulfill all that potential everyone thought he had. The fact that he was dropped is actually pretty amazing 8-o
dzcondor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jnr98 » Thu May 01, 2003 3:27 pm

dzcondor, what is amazing is that the guy who had Looper and waived him also has/had Biddle, MacDougal, Worrell, etc. He was collecting low-end closers.

I had been trying to strike a deal with him but failed. now he tosses Looper back into the pool. If I can find someone worth waiving for Looper, I will grab him too, along with Carter.

Thanks!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby tjhksig » Fri May 02, 2003 12:19 am

I'd definitely grab Looper now, he just notched his 5th save and is locked in as closer. He has been very good this year and is better than Carter. Use that waiver claim.

Oh, and check out my closers:

Mike MacDougal
Billy Wagner
Scott Williamson
Billy Koch
Braden Looper

I've got some serious trade fodder once guys in my league realize how imporant closer are in a 5X5 league.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crazybob60 » Fri May 02, 2003 12:30 am

In my opinion I would go with Looper. And as much as I hate to say this because I am a huge Billy Koch fan, you might also look at Marte if he is a free agent. As stated in other posts, Manuel has no patience with relievers. Just a hunch.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

politte

Postby Peja and Bibby » Fri May 02, 2003 1:31 am

go get politte he will grab them in the bunched i think..except when they play those damn yankees.
Peja and Bibby
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jebatzel » Fri May 02, 2003 1:54 am

stay the heck away from Escobar

I would rank looper higher than Carter.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic