Funny things about working IT - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Funny things about working IT

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Funny things about working IT

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Just thought I'd post funny things that people say when they call me for IT support...I really like my job and thought I'd share some of the funny things that happen and my common frustrations..i do love the job though..

1. I heard that our buildings network is totally down. Does that effect me?

2. Me. "Please press the start button." Other person "Whats the start button." Me "The one that says start." Other person, "I don't see that. Oh wait there it is."

3. Them, "My computer is really slow," Me, "Have you rebooted the machine." Them "Yes" When was the last time, "Um I guess like 3 weeks ago."

4. Me, "Can you get to Yahoo.com" Them "no" Me "Ok so you have no internet connection." Them, "Oh I have internet its Verizon." ME, "Ok but can you get to yahoo.com." THem , "No." Me "Alright so the internet isn't working." Them, "No it works." Me. "But you can't get to Yahoo.com." Them, "No" Me, "Can you type in http://www.yahoo.com for me." Them "Yea it comes up with yahoo." I proceed to rip my hair out!

5. My Toaster isn't working (Texans apparently refer to their computers as toaster)

6. "I saw this file in my email from someone I don't know and it said virus.zip." Me, "ok did you open it." Them "Yes, I thought it was important but now my computer keeps shutting off. Do you think it was a virus?"

7. Me, "ok can you open up your browser please," Them, "Whats that?" Me, "Internet explorer," Them "I don't understand." Me, "Its what you use to get on the internet. The blue E sir."

8. "No ones sent me my W-2 yet can you help me with that?"

9. "I can't send mail and its giving me an error saying I'm over my size limit for my mailbox. But I can't be because I only have 10 emails in there." Me, "Sir one of those emails has a 100mb attachment." Them, "Oh."

10. Me, "Ok sir please set your new password to 6 charecters."
Them, " Ok, 12345 Enter!" No sir that was only 5 charecters it needs to be at least 6. Them , "Ok 12346 Enter!" Me, "sir you just skipped 5 its still not 6 charecters." Them angrily, "Yes it is!"

Anyways its funny sometimes
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:00 pm

My Toaster isn't working (Texans apparently refer to their computers as toaster)

Haha....that sounds like something my grandfather would do.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:05 pm

I work in IT as well, and I actually had someone come up to me with their laptop saying their sound wasn't working......the problem?

I turned up the volume. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:20 pm

I used to work at a helpdesk. My all-time favorite call was a customer saying that everytime he ran his microwave his internet connection would drop off. I told him to take his modem off of the microwave. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:25 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I used to work at a helpdesk. My all-time favorite call was a customer saying that everytime he ran his microwave his internet connection would drop off. I told him to take his modem off of the microwave. :-D

hahah thats freakin hilarious!!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kentx12 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 pm

6. "I saw this file in my email from someone I don't know and it said virus.zip." Me, "ok did you open it." Them "Yes, I thought it was important but now my computer keeps shutting off. Do you think it was a virus?"

That is hillarious. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Funny things about working IT

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:01 pm

acsguitar wrote:4. Me, "Can you get to Yahoo.com" Them "no" Me "Ok so you have no internet connection." Them, "Oh I have internet its Verizon." ME, "Ok but can you get to yahoo.com." THem , "No." Me "Alright so the internet isn't working." Them, "No it works." Me. "But you can't get to Yahoo.com." Them, "No" Me, "Can you type in http://www.yahoo.com for me." Them "Yea it comes up with yahoo." I proceed to rip my hair out!

Sounds just like what my wife used to rant about when she worked the helpdesk. Lmao! :-b

Nice list! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:59 pm

1. I heard that our buildings network is totally down. Does that effect me?

Not if you jump off it.... :-b

Nice list acs.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:07 pm

nice ones ;-D

the yahoo one was hilarious
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:46 pm

I worked Help Desk when I first got out of college. For me it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I hated it. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk