Pedro
Wood
Clemens
Mulder
Halladay

Harden
Beckett
Burnett

What do u guys think? I'm not as high on pedro as others, as a Red Sox fan i've watched him decline over the past few years and believe that he is getting bumped up by name recognition and the fact that hes going to the NL.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:28 am

gtabaplayr1 wrote:Heres my top 19 using tiers (as of right now):

Santana
RJ

Schmidt
Sheets
Prior

Schilling
Oswalt
Peavy
Zambrano
Ollie

Hudson
Pedro
Wood
Clemens
Mulder
Halladay

Harden
Beckett
Burnett

What do u guys think? I'm not as high on pedro as others, as a Red Sox fan i've watched him decline over the past few years and believe that he is getting bumped up by name recognition and the fact that hes going to the NL.

Solid list - there are some nitpicky things like I like Prior over Sheets and Schmidt, but on the whole your tier system is spot on.
Id argue Pedro should be in that 3rd tier, but I can completely see where you are coming from since youve watched him regularly.
Id also have the last tier Burnett, Beckett, Harden, and add Mussina to it. Again - all small details but you are seeing the big picture with the tier system you have. After this the bottom basically drops out of the SPs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rjforlife » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:19 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
gtabaplayr1 wrote:Heres my top 19 using tiers (as of right now):

Santana
RJ

Schmidt
Sheets
Prior

Schilling
Oswalt
Peavy
Zambrano
Ollie

Hudson
Pedro
Wood
Clemens
Mulder
Halladay

Harden
Beckett
Burnett

Solid list - there are some nitpicky things like I like Prior over Sheets and Schmidt, but on the whole your tier system is spot on.
Id argue Pedro should be in that 3rd tier, but I can completely see where you are coming from since youve watched him regularly.
Id also have the last tier Burnett, Beckett, Harden, and add Mussina to it. Again - all small details but you are seeing the big picture with the tier system you have. After this the bottom basically drops out of the SPs.

i too love this tier. i think you have done very well with this list, only 2 minor changes from me as well, with prior over sheets and halladay up 2 spots ( at least over mulder as they both had down years and halladay is superior to mulder if they both bounce back).

again, very nice on the whole.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

Postby TB13 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 am

[quote="gtabaplayr1"]What do u guys think? I'm not as high on pedro as others, as a Red Sox fan i've watched him decline over the past few years and believe that he is getting bumped up by name recognition and the fact that hes going to the NL.[/quote]
Pretty good list.
My only nitpicks would be to have Prior over Sheets. I believe that Prior will actually end the season as best fantasy pitcher. I also would have Hudson right after Oswalt I drop Becket behind Burnett. But that's just me. Good list overall. I'd be curious for someone to come up with the next 25 pitchers.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:24 am

That's it, I can't take the Mussina bashing anymore. I was actually trying to keep this as one of my few remaining sleepers, due to fellow leaguemates being members here....but I can't take it anymore.

Check out Mussina's split stats from last season:

Code: Select all
                     G    GS    W    L    SV    CG    SHO    IP    H    R    ER    HR    BB    K    ERA    WHIP    BAA 
Pre All Star         18    18    9   6    0     1     0     107.1 131   69   62    15    23    75   5.20   1.43   .302    
Post All-Star         9     9    3   3    0     0     0      57.1  47   22   22     7    17    57   3.45   1.12   .222    

Now, look at his September stats alone:

Code: Select all
September             6     6    3   1    0    0     0       42.0  33  10  10    4     10     42   2.14   1.02   .216    

He pitched 42 innings with 42 Ks, 2.14 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, .216 BAA, and you guys are all ready to write him off? I agree completely that he very well deserves to be on that list. In fact, I agree that he deserves to be at least number 11 on that list. That doesn't mean that's where I'll draft him, because he's flying completely under the radar, but I fully expect him to pitch (at least) like the 11th best pitcher this year.

I can't believe that after one bad year, everyone's willing to write him off. Show the man some respect, I don't even like the Yankees and I'm saying all of this.

This reminds me exactly of Randy Johnson doubters after 2003. So what, we all got burned by his season last year....but it's time to get over it and realize he should rebound this year. I'm not saying he'll put up numbers like RJ did in '04, that's crazy...what I am saying is that there is no reason to think he won't be able to regress back to his career norm.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:43 am

I agree, I like Mussina for this year - he was very unlucky last year in terms of his ERA, and the fact that he pitched better as the year went on shows that he's not exactly declining.

As for your list...I might move Radke out of the top 25...I'm expecting a season with a 4+ ERA and a 1.2+ WHIP. I might replace him with someone like Colon, who should get a similar ERA and WHIP with a lot more K's and wins, or Brad Penny, who should get similar K's and wins with a lower ERA and WHIP.

I also might move Wood up a bit - if he stays healthy, he'll get 200+ K's - and Pavano down a bit, since I think it would be hard for him to replicate last season if he pitched for the same team, let alone switching to a new league and facing tougher offenses.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers