What strategy makes you win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What strategy makes you win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby loophole21 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:18 pm

There are two mains points to winning a league.

1. The draft
Draft conservative in the first 4-5 rounds. Why take a chance on prior when ultra consistent guys such as schilling are available? Also dont worry about positions during these rounds. Drafting three OF and two SP in the first five rounds is not a bad thing.
In rounds 5-8 keep avoiding high risk/reward picks. Drafts are won in rounds 8-12. This is where you choose your breakout guys. Any left over middle tier closers are taken here also. In rounds 13-18 i like to draft utility guys, people that play multiple positions and are fairly solid (figgins, uribe...).

2. Free agency
I have never seen a team win without key aquisitions during the season. It is very hard to significantly improve your team through trading, leaving FA as the alternative. Guys like rollins, perez, VMart just off the top of my head were stars last year, and they were all available at some time through FA.

So to sum up. You need a solid, consistent base to build your team around (rounds 1-8). Then a nice group of breakout players that pan out (rounds 8-13 or so). And to finish it off you need FA aquisitions.

And remember you cant win your league with your draft, but you certainly can lose it if you take too many risks.
loophole21
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:24 pm

I cant stress this enough, BE PREPARED for the draft. Nothing beats practice and preparation, and will get your team off to a good start. Go hitting early. Pitchers have too much turnover, and solid starters always appear out of nowhere, while hitters not so much so. Don't waste picks on early closers. One of the top tier closers, preferably a guy like Gagne, Lidge, Nathan, or maybe Dotel, because their Ks will help you. The first three are stone cold studs though. If you look a little shady in the pitching cats, dont be afraid to draft a dominant setup man late like Otsuka, Rincon, or Gordon in a slightly deeper league. Their ratios and Ks numbers, plus various vultured wins and saves, are valuable to a team. In the season, watch the wire like a hawk, especially for pitching. There is always a guy who comes out of nowhere, or a guy someone gave up too early on (cough cough Santana). And, most of important, have fun! Fantasy baseball isn't supposed to be a burden, it is supposed to be entertainment. Dont stress out too much.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:15 am

This is my 4th year playing fantasy baseball. Out of the five competitive leagues I've been in i've finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th. I'd say coming into the draft have a general strategy you want to follow, but don't stick to it so much that you make bad picks, don't be afraid to bend the rules a little. In the season, keep up to date on waivers or the free agent pool, it can make a difference. And don't be like this own player I play with, and don't burn out in july or august.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby xeifrank » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:19 am

moose wrote:I'll look at in-season strategy.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard was "You NEVER want to finish first in any category because it means you own wasted value"

That's only true if you are blowing away everyone in a category. If you win the HR category by one dinger, that's pretty efficient. So I would modify that statement a little bit. :) But we get your point.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Halo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:33 am

This is a great thread.

I would really just stress balance more than anything. Don't load up on mashers and forget about speed and average. And for pitching, remember that Wins is a function of run support, defense, etc., so keep an eye on pitcher ratios instead, things like ERA, WHIP, K/9; K/BB, etc.

I'm also a big believer in the sophomore phenom. Guys that come out their first year with a ton of hype (for this year, it might be McPherson, Closser, Kazmir) sometimes don't put up great numbers (Blalock in '02) or don't get as much playing time as expected (VMart in '03). Most people forget about these guys the following year and are looking at the newest crop of rookies recruits. If that's the case, you can pick up these sophomores in the late rounds and more often than not they become solid contributors or even stars. There was a reason they had so much hype coming up, it just took a year or two for them to adjust.
10/27/02 - Answered Prayers
Halo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NZF » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:40 am

My best piece of advice is very simple, yet so often ignored by even experienced fantasy baseball players.

Maximise (maximize for you North Americans) your roster.

In leagues where there is no maximum number of games played, maximise your roster (relevant particularly on a Monday when a lot of teams don't play). In Yahoo type leagues where you have a maximum number of games, ensure you utilise (utilize for you North Americans) every possible game played.

If at seasons end you have positions (catcher excepted) that have not played a full compliment of games. You don't deserve to win your league.

By playing hitting scrubs on a Monday to maximise your roster, you help 4 categories and can possibly only hinder one.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantFan666 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:41 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:My best piece of advice is very simple, yet so often ignored by even experienced fantasy baseball players.

Maximise (maximize for you North Americans) your roster.

In leagues where there is no maximum number of games played, maximise your roster (relevant particularly on a Monday when a lot of teams don't play). In Yahoo type leagues where you have a maximum number of games, ensure you utilise (utilize for you North Americans) every possible game played.

If at seasons end you have positions (catcher excepted) that have not played a full compliment of games. You don't deserve to win your league.

By playing hitting scrubs on a Monday to maximise your roster, you help 4 categories and can possibly only hinder one.

I've agreed w/ you before on this point NZF and I'll do it again here... I think this is one of the most important areas for late season managing... especially in Sept. when there are lots of double-headers going... why have a guy on his travel day when you can pick some one up that is going to play 2 games ? the only cat you can hurt is your BA in 5x5 and by that time of the season you have a pretty good idea where you will end up as far as that cat goes... for the rest of the season, I always like to draft a couple of multi-positional guys that I can throw in to several spots to cover somebody on an off day, or if you know they will be out that day...
There is nothing worse in my opinion than ending the season with lots of unused games of eligibility
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:47 am

Draft for value
Make educated guesses on youth
Pick up the hot player of the wavier wire & trade 'em
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter