A question about draft strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A question about draft strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrimeDog » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:29 pm

I agree with being flexible, I was the guy who drafted SP with my first 2 picks in that mock. That being said I doubt I would take SP with my first 2 picks in a non mock draft as pitchers are way to volatile. If you are picking at the end of the first round and RJ or Santana is there, its not a bad idea to grab one of them as they are really the best value left, but its much safer to take offensive guys with your first couple of picks and grab a # 1 starter with your 3-5 pick, then looking for a stud closer somewhere after that. Really your best bet is to have your own rankings ready, be prepared with some kind of strategy (which you seem to getting from the cafe here), and most importantly have fun with it. ;-D
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBV » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:52 pm

awesome guys, thanks! im soaking it all up like a sponge. i agree that most of these crazy what if scenarious will make a lot more sense once the draft actually starts. to try and think what 15 other guys will do gives me a headache. i thank you all for your input, it has given me a lot more options and a different approach for my draft. i am alot more confident now for wednesday! i will post back with my results ;-)
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Postby Arlo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 am

Welcome to the Cafe, CBV!

Agreed with the consensus (some great advice in this thread): never ever tie your hands by predetermining what position to draft in a certain round. Be flexible, analyze the dropoffs in value at each position, and do what the other owners aren't doing. There's nothing wrong with sketching out scenarios ahead of time, of course, but be prepared to change plans frequently when opportunities present themselves.

And incidentally, I like dog's double-SP opening, too. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CBV » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:09 pm

if i could *bump* this thread for one more question. what does it mean exactly to analyze the drop off in value during the draft.

i understand the concept, that at a certain point in drafts, all of tier 1 and 2 are gone of lets say 2B. so, if i were to look at this from a value standpoint....there are still loads of tier 3 2B left (reyes,roberts,loretta, hudson etc). hence, i would have value left for the 2B pick in the next few rounds even if 2 or 3 of the previously mentioned are taken. is that what it means?

i think i grasp it, but if someone could clarify this and add some examples it would help me out ;-D
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Postby Arlo » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:39 pm

CBV wrote:i understand the concept, that at a certain point in drafts, all of tier 1 and 2 are gone of lets say 2B. so, if i were to look at this from a value standpoint....there are still loads of tier 3 2B left (reyes,roberts,loretta, hudson etc). hence, i would have value left for the 2B pick in the next few rounds even if 2 or 3 of the previously mentioned are taken. is that what it means?

Exactly.

As an example, last year there was a drop-off at catcher once you got past Varitek/Kendall/Martinez/Posada. If the last of those four had gone off the board just before your turn to pick (and you were using accurate projections, just for the sake of the example), it probably would have made more sense to turn your attention to another position rather than reach for Johnny Estrada.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers