Help! Arguments for and against different keeper systems? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help! Arguments for and against different keeper systems?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help! Arguments for and against different keeper systems?

Postby mikemcj55 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:50 pm

Hey guys,
I am trying to argue to my league that one keeper system is better than the other. I could use some help, because I think I'm gonna lose.

#1) The most basic way, we keep three players, and then at the beginning of next year, everybody's players get taken out of the draft pool, and we draft based on the remaining player pool
While this is simple, it is also boring, and devalues veteran players in the early rounds of the draft.

#2) We keep three players, but we keep them in the round that they were originally drafted. So a simple example would be I draft Mora in the 3rd round and Wright in the 8th. In deciding who to keep, I need to weigh the fact that I would be giving up my third round pick in keeping Mora, vs. only losing my 8th round pick if I keep Wright.

I am in favor of Option #2. It's more exciting, and encourages smarter value drafting of young players. However, I recognize that it has its plusses and minuses, like any keeper system. I was wondering what you guys thought, and if you have any good arguments in favor of Option #2. Thanks in advance
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help! Arguments for and against different keeper system

Postby xeifrank » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:56 pm

mikemcj55 wrote:Hey guys,
I am trying to argue to my league that one keeper system is better than the other. I could use some help, because I think I'm gonna lose.

#1) The most basic way, we keep three players, and then at the beginning of next year, everybody's players get taken out of the draft pool, and we draft based on the remaining player pool
While this is simple, it is also boring, and devalues veteran players in the early rounds of the draft.

#2) We keep three players, but we keep them in the round that they were originally drafted. So a simple example would be I draft Mora in the 3rd round and Wright in the 8th. In deciding who to keep, I need to weigh the fact that I would be giving up my third round pick in keeping Mora, vs. only losing my 8th round pick if I keep Wright.

I am in favor of Option #2. It's more exciting, and encourages smarter value drafting of young players. However, I recognize that it has its plusses and minuses, like any keeper system. I was wondering what you guys thought, and if you have any good arguments in favor of Option #2. Thanks in advance

I am always interested in the methods people use to run a keeper league through the Yahoo system (non auction, no salaries and no complete control). I am interested, because we are in the midst of transitioning our 5x5 Roto league to a keeper league (this will be the first year). In the pre-Yahoo days, when we did a live in person auction draft it was very simple. You could keep up to something like 8(?) players (not sure our old exact amount of keepers), but for every year you wanted to sign a player to long term contract for, you had to increase his salary by $5 ($260 sal cap). But without salaries and the long-term contract salary increases to deal with, how can you best implement a keeper in a Yahoo based league. One of the other members and I have taken the lead in coming up with a unique and interesting (as possible) system to use. Some things we have settled on, others we have yet to spell out all the details of. Here are the basics of what we've decided to do. Our first year will be a regular Yahoo live draft. Subsequent years, we will do an offline draft starting March 1st, in most likely a Yahoo group. The commish (myself) will keep track of rosters and keepers and make sure the offline draft flows smoothly. The way we will do our keepers is, each team can keep up to 8 keepers. You can extend any player for up to 3 more years from his original draft/waiver wire pick up year (total of 4 at most on any 1 team). The catch is, for every year you keep a player you accumulate what we call a keeper point. If I drafted Beltran and before to the next season, I extended him for 3 more years, I would get 3 keeper points. Then we limit each owner to a certain number of keeper points, which we haven't determined yet. Then in the re-draft, if you kept n number of keepers, you'd get to join the draft in the n+1 round. Basically, it would be similiar to your #2 option, in which you'd only keep players if you thought you could draft them in the same round or later round than what you originally got them for, and on top of that, you'd have to manage your keeper points. Your option #2 would basically do the same thing as ours, except without the managing of keeper points, and only being able to keep 3 players isn't enough... atleast to our likings. Our system is not set in stone yet, and if I see something that I like better, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. So if anyone has any good ideas for doing a keeper within Yahoo feel free to post what your method is.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby redsox34 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:13 pm

the only fair way is to keep top 3 as the 1st 3 rounds and start at round 4.
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lbcnjk » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:50 pm

I my keeper league, David Wright, K-Rod, and Sheets all went undrafted, and are being kept, how would you handle that situation?

Personally, I like just starting the draft in round 4. In a keeper league veterans are always devalued somewhat.

I've never seen this done, and just made it up, but maybe you could use the final rankings from the previous year, and where the player finishes determines what pick he holds. 12 team league, the top 12 players require you giving up your first round pick, 13-24 reguire you giving up a second round selection and so on.
lbcnjk Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:55 pm

This is why you need to switch to an auction league tomorrow!

On a more serious note I prefer option #2. I have used this in the past. How we settled the keepers of undrafted FA is that if you want to keep a FA signed you MUST use a #1 pick, 2 undrafted you keep #2 pick etc....

This puts more value in drafting the right players. More people if they knew this would probably draft KROD instead of that backup 2b that will never start.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby xeifrank » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:02 am

under the system that I posted, it would handle free agents and players drafted all the same. You can sign the player to a long term contract, but you have to manage your keeper points.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers