Please tell me the benefit of playing a AL or NL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Please tell me the benefit of playing a AL or NL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please tell me the benefit of playing a AL or NL

Postby kev921 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:22 pm

league over a Mixed league (Roto 5x5 league).

I've never played an individual league and am tempted to try. For those who have played both, Please give me some feedback.
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBombers » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:29 pm

We alternate yearly between AL and NL, and to me it is the best way to play. It created a more complex draft and waiver wire situation. To me, it's more scraping the bottom of the free agent pool for the next rookie or young player who may explode. In order to play in one of these leagues, you have to know more then just the top 100 players, you have to know almost all of them. On top of that, we make it even harder by having to start, say 2 RP's or 2 CA. It's not for everyone, but it's certainly more fun for the "expert" fan or fantasy player.
BlueBombers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:42 pm

I like it for leagues with fewer than 12 teams. Otherwise, small leagues are just a collection of various all-star teams. Going AL- or NL-only forces the owner to research more for the draft, work the wire and wheel and deal.

Bottom line, I guess I'm saying that by thinning the pool of player talent, you reward fantasy managerial talent.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BlueBombers » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:47 pm

I agree 100%. I commish a 10 team money league, and there's no way a mixed 12 team league is as much fun to me. I like to say any one can print out a mock draft and with some luck place in a mixed league. There's no way someone can walk through a NL/AL only league draft without crazy preperation though. It's so much more rewarding.
BlueBombers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fantasyfiend » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:54 pm

its creates incentive to spend even more time browsing throw meaningless statistics. (some people cant get enough of this--im one of them)

In the process, you learn much more thoroughly the teams and their talent (even deep into their farm clubs) to get that edge on your opponent.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby crapshooter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:35 pm

It's sure nice to see that some other folks agree with me. I thought I was about the only one here that plays straight leagues. I play in a straight AL 12 team league and a staright NL 13 teams. You really have to do a lot more work but its so much more satisfying to win.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers