"Pitcher Perfect" gameplan - does it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Pitcher Perfect" gameplan - does it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Pitcher Perfect" gameplan - does it work?

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:10 pm

I was just thinking about how my league's draft may go, which is this week. I tried playing out part of the first round in my head (I have the 14th and final pick) and I discovered some of the players I want may be drafted ahead of me. Looking at this, I came upon an interesting strategy, but I don't know if it's all that great a plan.

In a dynasty league such as the one I'm in, how would a rock-solid core of a young, star pitching staff work compared to a blanced lineup or a hitter-heavy lineup? I know hitters are safer, but I project almost every pick before mine will be used on a hitter. So if I went against the flow and started my dynasty squad with mostly pitching, how would that probably work? Keep in mind, my second round pick will most likely be released after the season due to contract rules in our league. Also, the average hitter and the average pitcher get the same amount of pts. I have those back-to-back picks every two rounds, so this should be interesting. ALSO, this plan means I may not be selecting too many hitters with my first few picks.

I know this is risky because hitters are usually more consistent than pitchers. There are also more solid hitters than there are pitchers. What do you think of this, especially in a keeper/dynasty league? Have you heard or seen of anyone using a strategy like this and how they did that year? Thanks.

P.S. I know my league mates are reading this, but this is just an idea I'm thinking about...I have a few strategies I may try to use for this interesting draft so my league mates should not assume this to be my game plan... :-?

P.P.S - It's a H2H pts league - we play one team a week with only one player substitution per week (starting lineup/bench).
Last edited by DaQ on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:51 pm

Anything??

Any help is appreciated.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:24 pm

I really need the help!! It's been over an hour and no one's responded. :~( :~(

Again, I really need your takes on this strategy - my draft is in just a few days.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:52 pm

Like you mentioned, this is very risky. You're sure to nail a couple picks though and you should be able to trade at high value with those for other needs that crop up. You could also set off a run at sp and leave some good position players for when you pick again, so be flexible.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Is there any advice of any sort you can give me???
(EDIT: I didn't see KolbSaves' advice until after I posted this)

I'll try to make it easier for you to understand:
-H2H Points Dynasty League
-Average hitter = Average pitcher, but SP>RP
-I have the last pick (14th)
-I get 2 picks in a row when it's my turn to pick[/color[color=indigo]]--My 2nd round pick is likely a freee agent after 2005 because of league contract rules
-I figure mostly hitters will be taken with the picks before me

Due to this, should I look top build a stacked SP staff rather than a balanced lineup or a juggernaut hitting lineup? To get the real effect of what I'm trying to say, read the first post on this thread - it's the much more in-depth one and it expresses what I'm trying to say better.
Last edited by DaQ on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:55 pm

I would stick with hitters...because it's a dynasty league. It's nearly impossible to predict which young arms are going to develop nicely and which ones will require TJ surgery. Even the can't miss studs of recent history (Prior, Beckett) turned out to be out for significant amounts of time.

I would stick with hitters early in a dynasty league. Just my opinion though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby lssc2004 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:57 pm

I tried this method in one of my leagues last year and failed. My 1st 4 picks are Schilling, Nomar, Vazquez, and Oswalt. My hitters are weak as a result, with the like of Millar as 1B and Klesko as my startong OF. I think the poblem is it's much harder to find high-production hitters in later rds compared to pitchers. In this league, I end up 1st in W and K, 3-4 in ERA and WHIP, mid-of-pack in SV; but 2nd to last in HR and RBI.

In another league, I drafted only 1 pitcher in the 1st 7 rd (Mulder), then went Zambi, Dotel, Harden, Maddux, Nathan ... picked up westbrook and Livan from FA during the season and a bunch of MRs. I ended up winning the league, and finished in top 3 in each of the pitching cats.
LSSC
lssc2004
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:05 pm

I can see your points on hitting being more consistent, less risky, etc. than pitchers. But consider this: by the time my pick comes around at 14, 11-12 hitters will probably be gone while only one or two SP's will be gone. So most of the top stud hitters will be gone, but most of the top pitchers remain.

That's the conflict: I could go hitters and be safe, but the top players available at the time will probably be starting pitchers. There would be no chance for me to draft the top offensive team in the league with all the big boppers gone. With pitching though, I could snag one or two aces with my first two picks, then split hitters/pitchers through round 6 (so I'd have 4 pitchers and 2 hitters). It would be easier to control pitching when I have my 1-2 punch with some added depth compared to having a solid lineup, but facing a team with Pujols and some other stud (or two).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobblehead » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:06 pm

You have to grab at least a few good hitters at the beginining of the draft. If you go with your pitching strategy you should split your first 4 selections with one hitter and one pitcher before going for more pitchers.
Bobblehead
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:13 pm

I wouldn't draft starters at all in a league that size until the middle rounds. Starters are too volatile even when you consider someone like RJ (see 2003).

If anything, I would try to grab a top 10 player from each position your league is required to start. Mix in a starting pitcher or two along the way then get more towards the end.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers