Loretta, Maggs, Halladay? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loretta, Maggs, Halladay?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Loretta, Maggs, Halladay?

Postby sisyphus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 pm

Which player has the most value for the coming season? At this point, roster needs are not important. Who would you want and why?
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sisyphus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:50 pm

No opinions? Bump.
sisyphus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jazzfunk2 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:44 pm

Loretta's attributes (.300 + avg, around 20 homers) place him far above the average 2nd baseman (.275, 11 hr). Add to that, at age 33, his consistency is well established, so you know what you are getting.

Halladay is coming off injury, plays for a 2nd division club and will most likely offer you 15-17 wins, 160-175 K's, 3.75-3.80 ERA. These are good numbers, he will not suffer a Hideo Nomo meltdown, but the injury risk is real and lower ranked pitchers can offer comparable numbers (Burnett, Carpenter, Escobar).

Mags was one of my favorites prior to the injury. If healthy, he can produce 35 Hrs, 110 RBI's, decent average. Still, the injury risk is great and there are many across-the-board outfield performers who will still be available.

Loretta provides you with a substantial advantage over other owners saddled with D'Angelo Jimenez-type players who spit out 0 for 5 game after game. Second and third tiered pitchers/outfielders can be had later and more cheaply. Loretta is the best value.
jazzfunk2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:58 pm

5x5 dollar value, I have them ranked

Halladay
Loretta
Magglio
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Rubidium » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:42 pm

I would go with Halladay. Though I don't expect him to rebound to his 2002-2003 form, he should put up very solid numbers, especially for where he's going in drafts. Loretta will hit for a good average and get a bunch of runs, but I don't see him hitting Halladay's numbers. Maggs would probably be the best if healthy, but I'm too afraid of his knee to put him over these two.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rlee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:52 pm

I have them ranked:
Halladay (#72)
Loretta (#87)

Ordonez (#114)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:18 pm

Halladay
Loretta
Ordonez
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:26 pm

Halladay
Loretta
Maggs

But IMO it really depends on rosters. Cuzz if I don't have a 2B in the 7th round and both of those guys are available, then I'm gonna take Loretta. The dropoff from Loretta to the rest of the pack of 2B's is pretty huge IMO.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:28 pm

Well If maggs is healthy he is top 15 outfielder and halladay is a good pitcher and will bounce back from his shaky year in 2004 and loretta is always consistent so it really depends on the roster space but in general I would rank like this

Maggs(if healthy)
Halladay
Loretta
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm

Halladay
Maggs
Loretta

I'm not touching Loretta this year. I think last year was his career year...he's 33...he may still hit 15 homers and bat .300, but I think his value is too high.

Halladay could be an AL Cy Young contender this year especially after the defection of Pedro. I like him a lot to give you 2nd-3rd round value in the early/mid rounds of a draft.

Maggs can be a top outfielder if he's healthy. And that's the million dollar question. Really nobody knows of his health situation at this point. I like him this year, but I would not be taking many more risky players if I drafted him.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers