Talk Podsy's average with me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Talk Podsy's average with me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:58 pm

I just read some blurb somewhere that a much higher %age of his outs than most lead off guys were from fly balls, from which whoever wrote it (perhaps somebody here?) suggested that if he shortens his swing and stops popping out so much, he would be likely to improve.

I still think that if he goes below .240, the Sox will send him down to the minors, whether they traded him for Carlos Lee or not. They have a fairly 'full' bench w/ plenty of guys who would be likely to at least eke out .270 or so.

That being said, I'd try to go for him if he's still there a couple of rounds after the first round of your draft.

Another guy I'm thinking who may be likely to play and steal and be a very cheap draft pick might be Endy Chavez. There's some threads on him floating around, including one where it was at least suggested that, instead of being the 'backup' as he's listed in Yahoo's depth chart, it is going to be Sledge and Johnson competing for the playing time (w/ Wilkerson, Guillen and Chavez playing somewhere...) and that Chavez should be the starter unless he totally screws up in spring training. Looking at his #s, he could perhaps grab at least 30 SB if he's full time, maybe a bit more if the Nationals are a bit more competitive this year, w/o the frequent flyer miles. Which is OK from the last round or so...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:57 am

A) Minor league stats are iffy at best for predicting major league success.

B) He was injured constantly in the minors.

C) The entire brewers lineup slumped the second half of the year last year. When that happens I tend to forgive any single players slump.

D) He's in a better hitting park now and he's in the AL so his RBI will be up.

I expect his value to go up a bit from last year. He'll hit a little higher avg, drive in more runs, get more runs and probably hit a few more HR's. I however think his SB will go down some.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I still think that if he goes below .240, the Sox will send him down to the minors, whether they traded him for Carlos Lee or not. They have a fairly 'full' bench w/ plenty of guys who would be likely to at least eke out .270 or so.

This is the same team that had Jose "I wish my BA was as good as Pods" Valentin as the starter for 5 seasons. As long as Pods isn't hitting a buck-twenty he will be in the lineup somewhere.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers