Talk Podsy's average with me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Talk Podsy's average with me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Talk Podsy's average with me

Postby ascohen11180 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:51 pm

Hey guys, big time lurker here.

How much does his .250 average butcher a teams chances? Are the potential 80 steals worth his baggage?

My keepers right now are Texeira, Delgado, Nomar, Magglio and C. Zambrano.

With those guys can I afford the hit in average of Podsy and grab him with my first pick (equal to 6th round in a 14 team league) so I don't have to worry about speed the rest of the draft? Is there another direction I should go?
ascohen11180
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:09 pm

I think that his average will be > .250 and that he is not a bad pick. Are there any other speed guys out there though? I am leery of putting all my eggs in Podsednik's basket but his average, as it's not likely to be the same, will be either higher or lower and, I really don't see how it could get too much lower w/o him being kicked to the minor leagues. So it's going up and the only question is how much? I'd suspect he can hit in the .270 range and will steal TONS of bases.

And, if he DOES keep hitting fly balls which killed him last year, maybe at least a few more of them will flow out of USCellular field for him?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:23 pm

his average will definitely hurt you some but where would you be without those 75 or so steals? i would think 75 steals would move you up more places in steals than the .250 would bring you down.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:27 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:his average will definitely hurt you some but where would you be without those 75 or so steals? i would think 75 steals would move you up more places in steals than the .250 would bring you down.

Great analysis!
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rico The Retard » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:36 pm

i absolutely hate him but if you have those guys that can bring up your average when you have pods .220 average then i think pods sb's are definitely worth it
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrigleyivy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:39 pm

though no one would agree i see his average doing better this year. i would take the chance on him.
;-D ;-D
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. Rogers Hornsby
wrigleyivy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Melo255 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:54 pm

His minor league career shows that last years average was what to expect not the previous. I'd expect no better than .260 average and it's even possible as low as .240 without many walks. He is still semi valuable just for the steals but late rounds. He's the same as a Dave Roberts to me with a little more power.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:31 pm

He'll definately hit above .250, but he won't steal nearly as many bags. Playing in Cellular will hurt his value, I think. Why risk a stolen base when the next guy up could bunt the ball out of the park?

.270, 10 homers, 90 runs, 50 rbis, and 40-45 stolen bases.

He won't hurt you at all, but don't count on 70 steals, either.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ascohen11180 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.

So coming back full circle what should I think about for a plan B if I pass on Podsy there. With Nomar being my biggest steal threat of my mentioned keepers I obviously am hurting for speed.

Am I better of waiting another few rounds and reaching for someone like Brian Roberts or Figgins? After those two and Dave Roberts it seems like speed will be non-existant.

(All the big name speed guys, pierre, crawford, beltran, etc. are kept in this 14 team 5 keeper league.)
ascohen11180
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:22 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:He'll definately hit above .250, but he won't steal nearly as many bags. Playing in Cellular will hurt his value, I think. Why risk a stolen base when the next guy up could bunt the ball out of the park?

.270, 10 homers, 90 runs, 50 rbis, and 40-45 stolen bases.

He won't hurt you at all, but don't count on 70 steals, either.

I fail to see how he'll "definitely" hit above .250. Nothing he did in the minors ever suggested he'd be capable of it. He spent 8 years in the minors hacking away with mediocre seasons at best. I think it would be fair to call his rookie year anomalous and just move on expecting for him to hit for low average. It's the hit you take for wanting a guy capable of 70 SB. I don't think playing in US Cell will hurt his SB total, as I believe the Sox are moving to a running philosophy rather than a power one with El Caballo and Mags out the door.

That said, I hope he does do better. As a Brewer fan, I'll always like him for the rookie year he gave us, the excitment he brought to the basepaths, and for being the guy we flipped for Carlos Lee.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers