To those in dynasty leagues.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

To those in dynasty leagues..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To those in dynasty leagues..

Postby Elijah » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:00 pm

Have you ever had to have a rebuilding season(s)? I just took over a team in an established dynasty leage (you keep your entire roster from year to year), and my god is it awful. The team came in 10th of 12 last year and I've got it projected to come in 11th in 2005 based on the current rosters.

My question is this; should I have my fire sale now, or closer to the trade deadline? At what point could I get more value for my aging veterans? Right now more teams think they're 'in it', but obviously at the deadline some teams will be making a huge push for the home stretch. If anyone's curious here's my roster below:

Players I'm excited to have for the long term:
Crawford, Greinke, BJ Ryan, Valverde

Players who I'm indifferent to but they might be nice to have if my team was competitive:
Delgado, Sexson,J Lopez, Edmonds, Pavano, Lilly, Piazza, Kent, Podsednik

Complete roster filler:
Uribe, K Matsui, J Guillen, Glavine, Chacon, Eaton, Wakefield, N Robertson, Graves, Di Young, J Jones, R Sanders

Fairly standard point league, pitchers and hitting are worth roughly the same.

Thanks,

Elijah
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:04 pm

This isn't really an answer to your question, mostly because I don't really have a viable response. I do have a question myself though. Why is your team so bad? I think you have signifcant talent on your team, and if you traded for some SP you could contend. Am I that far off here?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby OuzoTower » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:34 pm

I agree with da 'playa.

This team does not seem that bad to me Sexson will be better this year and Pavano is due for carrer year if the Big Apple does get too wormy. I'd probably trade Glavine because he can't have too many years left and maybe see if I can get sucker ........ oops I mean manager to take Kent.

If I was going to have a fire sale I'd probably start right away but stretch out trade talks hoping to ceate an auction type scenario or if I was unhappy with early offers then do your last minute option.
OuzoTower
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cmchampa2 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:39 pm

That's a very good team. Find a 3B on waivers, and there should be several, and let the new guy and Uribe battle for that spot. Dump Chacon and look for another sleeper-type young pitcher like Greinke. You have the top 2 SB guys in the league for trade bait and Crawford could get you any SP you wanted, save for maybe Santana.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby red » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:40 pm

I agree with the other two posters: your roster ain't so bad. However, in response to your question-- I have had to rebuild in dynasty leagues and I loved doing it. Especially if there are minor league options (are there?) trading Piazza now for Cole Hamels and Brian Dopriak or something is what makes creating a team so much fun. It takes a little while for it to come about, but I'm in my third year of rebuilding now and have a young team that will probably make the playoffs and contend for a title. It's fun to do. Have to be patient, however, and don't let this league be your only fantasy team if you choose to do it. Competitive spirit will want to win somewhere...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Elijah » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. I agree the team didn't look that bad the first time I looked at it either. I think maybe I should have said at the top of my original post that it was a points league, and not at the bottom. So my high SB guys are good (about 550, and 450 respectively) but nowhere near as good as in roto.
Once I plugged in my projections for the upcoming year I discovered that the average team will score 8400 points in the league. I've got my team projected to score 7800. Basically I need to turn 6 decent unexciting players (400 points around), into 6 semi-all-star types (500 points +). It's a pretty daunting task :-o Throw in the fact that I've got a large portion of the team declining from last year (albeit with some significant gains from the two first basemen), and there's my reasoning that this team isn't so hot.

Unfortunately there's no minor league roster in this league, I'd love to play in a league that had one, but I've been unable to find a good one. And no, this isn't my only league, heh. That would make for a depressing summer.
Elijah
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers