Taking advantage of an owner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Taking advantage of an owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Taking advantage of an owner

Postby giants8307 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:50 am

An owner in a random league I joined is obsessed with the Indians. In a strange turn of events, he picked coco crisp with his first-round choice. Yikes. He then proceeded to make reasonable picks, but with special emphasis placed on indians. Tonight, he dumped mora for Juan Gonzalez 8-o (Unfortunately, I only have 5th priority).

My dillema is this: I currenty have casey blake, and was wondering if I should send an outragious deal to him in expectation that he will accept it. I was thinking of something along the lines of blake/kevin brown for pedro. I'm thinking this may upset the balance of the league, if I can pull this off. Will the fantasy gods frown upon this sort of thing?
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby asumikey222 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:01 am

With someone that stupid (fantasy baseball-wise, at least) and obviously disinterested in competing in your league, the league is probably screwed regardless and can only be really treated as a total goof-off league in which case anything goes, unless someone seriously puts the clamps down on the guy, which would be difficult to do. So my answer is it doesn't really matter. This isn't a money league right?
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spartans Rule » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:10 am

From the title of this thread I thought it would be about preying on the less intelligent owners, which I'm all for.

But this guy just doesn't care, and he's bound to make a mess of things. So I agree that it really doesn't matter. I'd probably make the offer, just because it will be amusing to see if he accepts.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants8307 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:22 am

DEFINITELY a non-money league.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:24 am

That same exact thing happened to me last year in a mid-season league!!! I noticed a guy had a lot of Indians on his team so I scooped up remaining Cleveland starters from the WW to trade him
I didn't get first in the league, but I managed to play spoiler and siphoned enough points off of the guy in first to push the guy in 2nd
ahead..
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby echrisl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:23 am

I had a guy in a league last year that did the same thing with the Cubs. I held onto Matt Clement all year just to piss him off. B-)
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:35 am

Yeah, this league is lost now because hes making stupid moves that benefit other teams greatly. Is this a public?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:49 am

asumikey222 wrote:With someone that stupid (fantasy baseball-wise, at least) and obviously disinterested in competing in your league, the league is probably screwed regardless and can only be really treated as a total goof-off league in which case anything goes, unless someone seriously puts the clamps down on the guy, which would be difficult to do. So my answer is it doesn't really matter. This isn't a money league right?

I agree with the new guy. :-b

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pochucker » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:44 am

I guess in public league(wont play) anything goes but , in money league I"d be screaming bloody murder!
Unlike most I dont believe in taking advantage of other owners unless they think they are smart. I prefer to win on my baseball knowledge not my ability to con someone else who truly doesnt know. Just my opinion I know most dont agree.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby quicksilver8 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:58 pm

In a public league where nobody knows each other, if you don't take advantage of this guy, somebody else will...and already did with the Juan Gonzalez trade. The guy signed up just like everyone else and has a right to play his team however he wants....so, make the offer.

In a private league with people I know, I would never advocate doing something like this.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers