The Posturing of Curt Schilling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Posturing of Curt Schilling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:12 pm

Pacman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
sick of his need to find every possible TV camera. I have never seen every step of someone's rehab documented like his has. I can blame Fox and SportsCenter but Curt could also decline the coverage.

That's fair, but you'd have to admit that Curt Schilling is not unique in being a pro-athlete who milks any and all media attention he has a chance to get. He went through the whole ankle ordeal (which after you peel away all the media overkill WAS a pretty remarkable thing) and suddenly had people like Barbara Walters interviewing him as one of America's Most Amazing People, or some other silly Network ratings stunt title, and yes... he played along.

I am totally not interested in getting anyone mad, nor do I want to start a debate over which team has more media whores on its roster, but I'll simply ask, in realtion to the author's take on Schilling, aren't some of A-Rod's comments, about having finished his morning workouts before any other MLB players have even gotten out of bed... just as self-glorifying as Curt's statements/actions?

I feel like that's a fair question to ask.

peace

I have said since it happened that what Curt was able to accomplish was remarkable. I also wanted to leave it at that. I find it humorous that Schilling was a warrior for what he did and we are still talking about it while T.O. was selfish and no one mentions it anymore.

I don't want to hear about A-Rod's workouts nor do I want to hear comments from Arroyo or Trot Nixon, the latter of which played as much for the Sox last season as Doug Mientkiewicz.

I guess that they all need things to get them through the day but I am just sick of hearing it. I yearn for the day when it can just be about baseball again.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:20 pm

Amazinz wrote:Didn't those comments come through Trot Nixon? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they did. Obviously Nixon is biased so I don't think you can judge Arod's comment based on Nixon's remarks because Nixon was setting the tone and the context, not Arod.

Here's your correction:

ESPN.com article by Bob Klapisch, Jan. 31 :

It's a massive, if not masochistic regimen. But Rodriguez is proud of the fact that while he's out of his house by 7 a.m, "there are 650 or 700 other players who are sleeping, or taking their kids to school. But there's no way they're going to be running the stairs or doing what I'm doing."

Again, I'd argue that those comments are at least as self-glorifying as Curt's comments/action.

And, Lof... I agree.... I want it to be about baseball again too.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:20 pm

The irony is that you are helping him get what he wants. :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:53 pm

If you hadn’t heard that Schilling donated the bloody sock from last year’s World Series to the Hall of Fame

Um.....he was aked to donate it. What was we supposed to do?...refuse to give it?

Schilling is a guy who has a little fun with the media hype around him, and uses it to his advantage. Is that wrong? Is it wrong for him to provide the best he can for his family? You can't deny that him being the way he is with the media hasn't helped him make money.

After 9/11, Curt Schilling took out an ad in major newspapers to support the firemen who had died and the troops who were about to go into harm’s way. At best, a curious but endearing move; at worst, an opportunistic attempt to align himself with everyday heroes, the folks who risk their lives for the rest of us. Which begs this question: if heroism is about risk-taking, why does Curt Schilling’s brand of heroism come without risk?

.....wow....just wow.

You can call him anything you want, but what you can't call him is a guy who doesn't care about his teammates and about the fans. He had one goal when he came to Boston.....win a championship. Why? B/c if he did, his name would live on in baseball history forever, and it will. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:29 am

You sound like a bitter Yankee fan whose upset his team went through the greatest collapse in sports playoff history, and to the Red Sox at that, who go and win the World Series. How can you criticize a guy for taking out a full page ad to honor 9/11 victims? Just because hes a Red Sox now? There was no reason to even include that.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:24 pm

It's like the fellas on ESPN radio always say: "He's a great pitcher, but there's no one more impressed with Curt Schilling than Curt Schilling." So he's arrogant, a Red Sox star and a Republican. Talk about the embodiment of Satan, eh?

But seriously, A-Rod is just as cocksure as Schilling. They both get on my nerves, like when A-Rod talks about how he's a "natural born leader" and has to set the example for everybody else. Like his teammates are chopped liver.

I'll never forget when Schilling was caught on ESPN camera making fun of Sosa's accent during the Home Run Derby a few years back. Chris Berman was all sitting next to him making the "Shush" sign and pointing at the camera, like he didn't know it was on. I don't know if that says anything about Schilling or not, but it sure makes me laugh. ;-D
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to General Talk