The Posturing of Curt Schilling - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Posturing of Curt Schilling

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby potfry » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:52 am

Alex Rodriguez’s decision to endorse the Red Sox’ castigation of his character this week had the desired effect of quieting a Boston team that apparently thought the Yankee third basemen was susceptible to high school baiting tactics. Baseball, for now, appears to be the focus in the New York and Boston camps. The important business of spring training is proceeding, as both teams try to turn question marks into exclamation points before the season opener.

Quiet time never lasts, though, when Curt Schilling is around. Like a gnat to a porch light on a humid summer night, the Red Sox pitcher and self-appointed spokesperson for, well, most everything, has moved center stage with his award-winning theatrics. Grab some popcorn and pull up a chair, folks. It’s time for The Ego and The Ankle, Part II.

If you hadn’t heard that Schilling donated the bloody sock from last year’s World Series to the Hall of Fame, yesterday’s bullpen session was further reminder that Superman has a bad wheel. Grimacing and frowning, changing baseball cleats, acting grumpy toward the press, Schilling was in his element. With an opening day showdown with Randy Johnson hanging in the balance, he would not commit to making the start. The greater Boston area is left to worry, pray, and take online polls about whether or not Schilling will rise to the ocassion. It creates a wonderful win-win-win situation for The Curtster: 1) He’s the center of attention for the next three weeks; 2) he can take the mound and beat Johnson, and Boston will overnight his nomination for sainthood to the Vatican 3) Lose? Run his hands through his hair, shrug at God, and limp gingerly from the field to a tearful standing ovation.

Pitch? You bet he will.

It’s all carefully calculated by a man who understands his consumers with razor-like focus. He sells a brand image of dogged perseverence, one that most people desperately want to see in themselves. He's been focus-grouped and packaged perfectly.

After 9/11, Curt Schilling took out an ad in major newspapers to support the firemen who had died and the troops who were about to go into harm’s way. At best, a curious but endearing move; at worst, an opportunistic attempt to align himself with everyday heroes, the folks who risk their lives for the rest of us. Which begs this question: if heroism is about risk-taking, why does Curt Schilling’s brand of heroism come without risk?

http://www.potfry.blogspot.com
potfry
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:13 am

Well you're a very good writer and I enjoy your style. I will check out your blog from time to time. But that's a fairly caustic piece you have there. As someone who has no part in BOS/NY rivalry bias, Curt Schilling gets on my nerves too. But this editorial seeps of Yankees' fan bitterness. The last paragraph is especially unfair.

But you got me to read the whole thing so good work. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby potfry » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:16 am

I can certainly understand that you might find it irrelevant. I don't agree that the final paragraph is unfair-- I think it's precisely the problem with Schilling.

That said, for me to refuse to admit to some amount of bitterness would be silly.

Appreciate your comments and interest...I need to broaden out a bit into more universal issues.
potfry
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:23 am

I didn't mean to imply it's irrelevant. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:04 am

I think it is well stated. Curt has done of good job of positioning himself as a "hero" no matter the outcome. Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on the person.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:41 am

Great new aticle.... :-)

But again Sox/Yanks....broaded the scope of what you write about....yor writing style is very interesting....keep up the good work... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:01 pm

Nice writing.

But think about this. All that effort... to expound upon what kind of a guy you think Curt Schilling is. I've got to ask, so what?

He pitched great in beating the Yankees in Game Six in Yankee Stadium. That obviously bothers you and motivated to write a piece on what you perceive are his personal flaws.

Now.. Fox (as they are wont to do) rammed the bloody sock thing down the viewers' throats during the entire post-season. Blame Fox not Curt.

Curt likes to thank God when he's interviewed. So do hundreds of other professional athletes. Condem all the born-again athletes if you're gonna hit Curt for that.

Call him a bible-thumper, a big-mouth, or an opportunist... call him whatever you want. I call him the ace of the World Champs. If you don't personally happen to like him... that's your right.

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:42 pm

Pacman wrote:Nice writing.

But think about this. All that effort... to expound upon what kind of a guy you think Curt Schilling is. I've got to ask, so what?

He pitched great in beating the Yankees in Game Six in Yankee Stadium. That obviously bothers you and motivated to write a piece on what you perceive are his personal flaws.

Now.. Fox (as they are wont to do) rammed the bloody sock thing down the viewers' throats during the entire post-season. Blame Fox not Curt.

Curt likes to thank God when he's interviewed. So do hundreds of other professional athletes. Condem all the born-again athletes if you're gonna hit Curt for that.

Call him a bible-thumper, a big-mouth, or an opportunist... call him whatever you want. I call him the ace of the World Champs. If you don't personally happen to like him... that's your right.

peace

I do blame Fox for their coverage last postseason. I also put some heat on Curt. I respect the hell out of his on-field accomplishements but am sick of his need to find every possible TV camera. I have never seen every step of someone's rehab documented like his has. I can blame Fox and SportsCenter but Curt could also decline the coverage.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Pacman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
sick of his need to find every possible TV camera. I have never seen every step of someone's rehab documented like his has. I can blame Fox and SportsCenter but Curt could also decline the coverage.

That's fair, but you'd have to admit that Curt Schilling is not unique in being a pro-athlete who milks any and all media attention he has a chance to get. He went through the whole ankle ordeal (which after you peel away all the media overkill WAS a pretty remarkable thing) and suddenly had people like Barbara Walters interviewing him as one of America's Most Amazing People, or some other silly Network ratings stunt title, and yes... he played along.

I am totally not interested in getting anyone mad, nor do I want to start a debate over which team has more media whores on its roster, but I'll simply ask, in realtion to the author's take on Schilling, aren't some of A-Rod's comments, about having finished his morning workouts before any other MLB players have even gotten out of bed... just as self-glorifying as Curt's statements/actions?

I feel like that's a fair question to ask.

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:09 pm

Pacman wrote:...aren't some of A-Rod's comments, about having finished his morning workouts before any other MLB players have even gotten out of bed... just as self-glorifying as Curt's statements/actions?

Didn't those comments come through Trot Nixon? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they did. Obviously Nixon is biased so I don't think you can judge Arod's comment based on Nixon's remarks because Nixon was setting the tone and the context, not Arod.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk