Sleeper Catcher? Who do think will emerge as a sleeper this. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Catcher? Who do think will emerge as a sleeper this.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:13 am

As for a sleeper, I would also say John Buck. Just don't hope for anything over a .260 average, anything over that is gravy.

In regards to Inge, his BB to walk rate has improved each season. Last season he struck out less than in 03, in more at bats. I like him for this year, but I'm not entirely huge on him.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:42 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
wrveres wrote:Two guys I like that seem to be going very late in drafts ..

AJ .. a career .294 hitter .. in a hitters park. whats not to like.

Inge .. the fact that he will be playing everyday, is a huge bonus, especially if he can hit for average.
Now while the risk is a littel greater than AJ,
A .280/18/70/70/8 is very do-able from Brandon this season and those would be decent numbers for any catcher. Plus if he is starting almost everyday, you won't have to roster a backup. ;-D

Wow, I'd say that's more wildly optimistic than very doable, wrveres. A lot of his improvement was a very fluky batting average jump and there was no improvement in his BB/K rate. The things I've seen have him batting 8th and followed in the order by Infante and Sanchez, so I just can't see 70 runs coming out of a 290-300 OBP and those hitters trying to knock him in. His steal percentage is about 50/50, and I can't see them letting him go something like 8-15 in SBs.

It's certainly not impossible, but I think a more reasonable point estimate for Inge is something like .260/12/50/60/4. While Inge might nail one or two of your projections, the entire combination of numbers you posted, I might peg at about a 10% chance.

you are very correct. I rattled that off the top of my head. Is it do-able sure.

Personally I have Inge at
.272/50/15/65/6....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:48 am

Heh, when I saw the Inge post, I thought it was Cornbread. :-b Anyways, a catcher I see that has been undervalued the whole year is Micheal Barrett. He had an excellent year last year, and should repeat this year. And yet he goes near the bottom. Hes a solid catcher, one more proven than the others mentioned here. (Besides AJ.)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby colt4523 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:56 am

I plan on having Inge or JD Closser as my catchers this year. I always draft catchers last and they both look like adequate catchers.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby grammysboy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Heh, when I saw the Inge post, I thought it was Cornbread. :-b Anyways, a catcher I see that has been undervalued the whole year is Micheal Barrett. He had an excellent year last year, and should repeat this year. And yet he goes near the bottom. Hes a solid catcher, one more proven than the others mentioned here. (Besides AJ.)

Yep, Barrett is kinda a forgotten man. He has pretty solid numbers, but doesn't do enough to stir much emotion. He, Buck, and Closser should give most owners three names to choose from who will be available in most leagues. If a run starts on catchers, Barrett will be the last of those three mentioned, but probably the most dependable and definately the most experiencec.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:32 am

olivio is the backup catcher i have been going after in my drafts...if he gets the PT, i think he could produce decent numbers for the C position......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PhillyFan1 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:08 pm

John Buck KC
"I am, who I become; therefore success is not a destination, but rather a never ending journey."
PhillyFan1
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers