Halladay or Wood - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Halladay or Wood

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Juhlz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:34 pm

mtarail wrote:I'd rather have Wood. They both have health issues, but if they both play the same amount Wood will give you more K's and more wins. It's pretty close though--and considering the fact that these guys health will probably be the deciding factor in who has a better year it's almost too close to call.

I think health aside, because they are both risks, the decision is easy for me. The Blue Jays will be terrible this year and the Cubs will likely be in contention to win a championship. Add to the fact that the average draft position for these two is Wood = 47th overall and Halladay 71st overall. You can have both if you like. !+)
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasyfiend » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:03 pm

I think people are overrating Halladay Cy young season where he had very good run support, and worked 260+ innings. (and finished the year with 200k's)

He's a notorious GB pitcher, and very efficient. I think he averages 13total pitches/ip. strikeouts are far and few inbetween... and he showed last season that he can wear down, and that pitching 266 innings takes a toll on his body.

If roy halladay pitches 200 innings this season, i dont expect him to improve on his 3.89 career ERA. The team as a whole is not nearly as good as it was in 2003. Halladay's pitching style requires a considerable amount of luck over the course of the year, because batters make much more contact. (kinda like a D Lowe) he can either be great (posting an era slightly under 3) or he can be mediocre, with average K's on a crappy team (like his career era shows)

Because Kerry Wood strikes out guys at a much higher rate, and has a team who could potentially win the pennant, and a career ERA lower than Halladay.......i dont see where its a "close" at all.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers