What's the trend in fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the trend in fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What type of league or leagues are you playing in this year?

H2H only!!
21%
Roto only!!
42%
Both H2H and Roto, but I strongly prefer Roto
18%
Both H2H and Roto, but I strongly prefer H2H
10%
Points league is the way to go
9%

Total votes : 67

Postby bleach168 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:32 am

My problem with H2h is players, especially on playoff bound teams, tend take it easy the last 3 weeks of baseball. This poses a huge problem on H2H playoffs as your studs may only get limited action.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ...

Postby asumikey222 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:46 am

riverrat wrote:Just my opinion...

H2H is more baseball-like. If Pujols is destined to hit 40 Hr's and 120 RBI's, it doesnt matter when he does it. He can have those totals by all-star game but it still is 40-120 in the end. In H2H it does matter!! If he goes into a 2 week slump your team tanks with him, basically. Thats luck, the way it goes, slumps, call it what you like. Look at the Cards in last years W.S. They slumped, choked... THATS BASEBALL people. Its not crisp and clean like roto.
In 1 of my leagues last year the 1st place finisher played the 4th place finisher in the W.S. Guess what? The 4th placer won it because of a 2 week slump by the 1st-placer. Thats Baseball.
I play both for variety but in dynasty keeper league its H2H.

BTW...my 2 championships ever were in roto.

I don't know how "baseball-like" it is to have the most heated action, and really the only meaningful part of h2h- the playoffs- take place during what are meaningless weeks for many big players. Fantasy baseball is not real, that's why it's called "fantasy" baseball, and h2h is just as artificial of a competition as roto, so the issue is not which is more "baseball-like," but which competition set-up is better. To me, h2h is not as fun or competitive except for a few weeks (as opposed to a whole season). I am a pretty good player, so getting into the playoffs is always a breeze (yay, a season as meaningful and fun as the NHL regular season!), making a huge part of the season little more than a waste of time. Then come playoffs you position, try to get guys you think will do will and pray that for 3-5 weeks your guys get really really hot. To me that's not very fun and certainly less fun than a roto season where fortunes change all the time, and a lot of smart moves and hard work mean something other than oh you get the 1 seed rather than the 2 seed (or that all important fantasy homefield advantage).
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Garry26 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:35 am

Roto is the original and preferred fantasy format. H2H is interesting because its more geared towards instant gratification. Also it gives losing teams the consolation of winning a few weeks or play spoiler in a more direct way. Still, regular roto is the best.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Mugwump » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:27 am

bleach168 wrote:My problem with H2h is players, especially on playoff bound teams, tend take it easy the last 3 weeks of baseball. This poses a huge problem on H2H playoffs as your studs may only get limited action.

A bunch of the above posts had similar takes on H2H, or points league. That is why so many people end their seasons a few weeks early. Our regular season is only 20 weeks long and then 3 weeks for the playoffs. We haven't had any major problems with it yet.

Plus, I wanted to throw out there a slight veriation on the points H2H style. We play points where it is a 'league H2H'. Meaning that each week we have a top 5 (winners) and a bottom 5 (losers). This way we rack up points and records. The cream always rises to the top, we have found.

I like this version of top 5 bottom 5 H2H because it eliminates the problem of cheap wins or bad losses. For example if your team blows up that week, but so does your opponent, in H2H you lose... meanwhile there were two teams that scrapped out an ugly battle and you almost feel cheated that one of those crap teams is going to get a W and you got a lose. (Does that make sense?) In a sense, because you cannot play defense against your opponent it eliminates the problem.
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:33 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:H2H for fun and play....but when money is on the line I'll take Roto anyday.... :-)

agreed ... I would never play H2H for money ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby looptid » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:20 am

The complaint against roster churning in head to head leagues isn't a valid one. There are easy steps that can be taken to prevent it, even outside of limiting transactions. Contrary to what has been said, if your league is set up well, it isn't just a churning match.

One thing I like about head to head, is that a team's bench is more important. With categories up for grabs at the end of each week, you can have a large effect with late substitutions (tayloring your line-up each weekend to target the categories you need to focus on).
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:45 am

The league I host is a 12 player, 5x5 H2H Yahoo! league, with pretty much everything standard except that it's a weekly update instead of daily (rosters locked on Monday).

You'd be surprised how much difference the weekly update makes. You're forced to come up with different strategies every week. You have to pick pitching matchups carefully, you have to pick power vs. speed before the week starts, etc. Lots of risk/reward plays every week!

It seems like in daily update leagues, you just plug in every SP you have every time they pitch, unless it's one of your worst guys throwing at Coors or something. In weekly update, you have to pick and choose carefully, or you could end up leaving valuable points on the bench!

My league is not for money, yet the league is highly competitive and owners stay active throughout the whole season. Playoffs haven't posed a problem yet, and since we finish up 1 or 2 weeks before the end of the season, I don't think we're going to have any trouble.

I can't see why people are saying that there's so much more luck involved in H2H. Every player has ups and downs during the year. It's very unlikely that everyone on your team would be down or up during a given week, so everything tends to balance out. Although, you could argue that consistent players are more valuable in H2H, and adjust your draft strategy accordingly.

I'll defend H2H as being the best for the same reason that most fantasy football leagues are H2H... it's just more fun. You get the exhilaration of the final week of Roto every Sunday, and that's just plain cool. If you haven't tried it with weekly updates, I highly suggest you give it a spin this year!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:30 am

I don't think there are any major trands as far as roto vs. H2H vs. points leagues are concerned. If anything, we're seeing more experimentation and refinements within those formats, such as more common use of OBP instead of AVG in roto leagues, or more attention to balance between hitters and pitchers in points leagues.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:12 am

I agree that Roto might be the purest way to determine the best fantasy team. At the end of the year the team that is the most well rounded across all the categories will take the prize. But IMO it is a little boring. With a weekly head to head matchup you are watching every at bat on a Sunday to swing the close categories your way. There is excitment and suspense every week. I also like the role that luck and slumps play in the outcome.

By nature I am a gambler, so I have no problem putting up some cash to increase the excitment of my weekly matchups - even if luck plays a role.

Also trash talk is on a whole different level in H2H. Roto can't come close in terms of rivalries and competitiveness.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:14 am

H2H is much harder IMO. You can limit roster churning by charging fees for adds/trades. I prefer H2H b/c it keeps teams in longer. Even if your team starts out slow, it is much easier to climb the ladder

There is more luck factor but I have not seen anyone win our keeper league that didn't have the best team.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers