Bands that people might not know - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bands that people might not know

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bands that people might not know

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:06 pm

I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the BMRB thus far. I'm a fan of a lot of different music. I own just over 400 CD's and my taste would definitely be eclectic to say the least. I own stuff from Beastie Boys to Johnny Cash to Thelonious Monk to Muddy Waters to Stevie Wonder to Pearl Jam to The Rolling Stones to The Roots to DJ Shadow, well you get the idea.

One thing with BMRB I was hoping to get was an introduction to some bands I had never heard before, which I did with The Tragically Hip (I seriously never heard them before). But that's pretty much it. So I decided to start a thread where people can bring up artists that they're listening to that may not necessarily be mainstream but they think are pretty cool. Here's a short list of some bands I like that may not have hit your ears.

The Dirtbombs
- Detroit band that features Gories frontman Mick Collins on vocals as well as two drummers and two bass players. If you're into the White Stripes then you may like these guys. They've got a raw in your face sound. Their CD's aren't easy to find in stores but you can find them on Amazon. I recommend Ultraglide In Black, which features a boatload of song covers from Barry White to Marvin Gaye to Stevie Wonder, but they're all done Dirtbombs-style.

And You Will Know Us From the Trail of Dead
- Yes that is there actual band name. These guys are out of Austin, TX. Um I'm not sure who they're like. Sonic Youth is sometimes mentioned as one of their influences. They do teen angst a lot harder and better than the emo garbage you hear on the radio. Check out Source Tags & Codes or their latest release, Worlds Apart. They have two earlier LP's that were on a smaller indie label and aren't the easiest to find. If you can get a hold of their second album, Madonna its well worth it.

Clinic
- If you dig Radiohead then these guys are probably up your alley. I have to warn you though. Unlike most band they have gotten worse with each release. Their first LP, Internal Wrangler is excellent. Their 2nd, Walking With Thee is also good. Their latest release Winchester Cathedral don't even bother.

Soledad Brothers
- Another group I recommend if you like White Stripes. They have rootsier feel to them but also have subtle hints of Velvet Underground and the Stooges in their music. Good stuff, different some times, but good.

..and if anybody has some they'd like to share I'm all ears! ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 pm

One of my best high school friends plays guitar for Faktion.

http://faktionband.com/

More of a heavier rock, depending on what you're in to. They're recording their first full length CD in Florida at the moment, being produced by Brett Hestla from The Virgos. There are quite a few songs available on their site.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:16 pm

Check out Sound Tribe Sector Nine for Live Trance/ Jungle
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:Check out Sound Tribe Sector Nine for Live Trance/ Jungle

Actually I caught your thread on them from a couple weeks ago. From what I head they sound like a good group to chill out to. Very smooth. I'm not huge into the whole Jungle, Drum/Bass thing. One guy I do like though is Amon Tobin. His earlier stuff is cool but then he got really out there with this stuff. But he's the only Drum/Bass artist I've heard who's stuff doesn't sound like every other Drum/Bass artist.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:38 pm

ironman wrote:

Actually I caught your thread on them from a couple weeks ago. From what I head they sound like a good group to chill out to. Very smooth. I'm not huge into the whole Jungle, Drum/Bass thing. One guy I do like though is Amon Tobin. His earlier stuff is cool but then he got really out there with this stuff. But he's the only Drum/Bass artist I've heard who's stuff doesn't sound like every other Drum/Bass artist.
Sound Tribe is very original i don't like Jungle but they have so many musicians and are all live so its really cool...download some.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:02 pm

Nice, acs. I've seen them twice, once in Ithaca NY and once in....I forget where, someplace in Midtown NYC. Unreal both times, perfect music if you have a long nighttime drive ahead of you for whatever reason.

I'd also suggest Soulive, if you like jammy funk; and I second Amon Tobin. I'd also suggest checking out the Ninja Tunes site (Tobin's record label), as they have a lot of really good artists, definitely not all techno either. Saul Williams is one that stands out (not even sure if he's still there). He combines spoken-word poetry with hiphop beats, but I wouldn't call it RAP per se; you'll understand when you hear him.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Anyone who likes 70's rock would like the Good Rats. They're a Long Island local legend. The singer, along with his sons, still plays in bars and clubs in the tri-state area.

The singer and I grew up in the same town and went to the same HS, though he is years older than me.

I'm gonna catch them this Fri night.

You probably can't find their discs in stores. The band's website sells them.

They are also the creators on my screen name.

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/goodrats.html

http://www.goodrats.com/theband.htm
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Bands that people might not know

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:10 am

ironman wrote:And You Will Know Us From the Trail of Dead
- Yes that is there actual band name. These guys are out of Austin, TX. Um I'm not sure who they're like. Sonic Youth is sometimes mentioned as one of their influences. They do teen angst a lot harder and better than the emo garbage you hear on the radio. Check out Source Tags & Codes or their latest release, Worlds Apart. They have two earlier LP's that were on a smaller indie label and aren't the easiest to find. If you can get a hold of their second album, Madonna its well worth it.

Clinic
- If you dig Radiohead then these guys are probably up your alley. I have to warn you though. Unlike most band they have gotten worse with each release. Their first LP, Internal Wrangler is excellent. Their 2nd, Walking With Thee is also good. Their latest release Winchester Cathedral don't even bother.

I've been listening to both of 'em for a while now - good stuff! ;-D

And you're right about Clinic and the quality of each new CD...

Anyway, my cousin is buds with the d00ds from The Divorce - they're a pretty good band - check 'em out here.
[size=9]"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Madison hates The 'Cuna...[/size]
Canacuna Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:25 am

Radford

A better version of Our Lady Peace.

Check out Sleepwalker.

The Zutons

A unique form of jazz. UK band.

Check out Who Killed... The Zutons.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:16 am

Fireball Express wrote:Anyone who likes 70's rock would like the Good Rats. They're a Long Island local legend. The singer, along with his sons, still plays in bars and clubs in the tri-state area.

The singer and I grew up in the same town and went to the same HS, though he is years older than me.

I'm gonna catch them this Fri night.

You probably can't find their discs in stores. The band's website sells them.

They are also the creators on my screen name.

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/goodrats.html

http://www.goodrats.com/theband.htm

I grew up in Cleveland Ohio in the 70's and there was no bigger band in northern Ohio than "The Michael Stanley Band". They set records for selling out arenas. "Stagepass" a live double album was my personal favorite.

http://www.michaelstanley.com/msb/msbmain1.htm

Biography by Bret Adams

Cleveland native Michael Stanley became a regional phenomenon, but the singer/songwriter/guitarist and his Michael Stanley Band deserved more national success than they achieved. Stanley, whose real name is Michael Stanley Gee, played bass with the folk-rock group Silk in the late '60s. He then went solo and released two solo albums in the early '70s that fit right in with the "singer/songwriter" era. His talent attracted the likes of producer Bill Szymczyk and guest musicians Joe Walsh, Todd Rundgren, and David Sanborn from the beginning. He formed the Michael Stanley Band (aka MSB) in 1975 and pursued a more straightforward rock direction. MSB recorded a string of albums through the late '70s and early '80s that were modest successes nationally but major hits in Ohio. In fact, the Michael Stanley Band was such a sensation at home that it still holds attendance records at major concert venues. 1980's Heartland was easily MSB's best album, and Stanley agrees. It included the hit single "He Can't Love You" (sung by vocalist/keyboardist Kevin Raleigh) and the minor hit "Lover" (sung by Stanley and featuring blistering saxophone by Clarence Clemons). MSB's second and last Top 40 hit was Stanley's anthem "My Town" in 1983. After recording for Epic, Arista, and EMI, MSB independently released two albums on their own before breaking up in 1987.

The Michael Stanley Band was a reliably consistent, meat-and-potatoes enterprise responsible for superb Midwestern rock & roll. Stanley went on to become a popular television and radio personality in Cleveland. He still regularly releases albums — solo and the one-off group project the Ghost Poets — and performs annual summer and New Year's Eve shows along with occasional acoustic dates; these concerts and albums both feature MSB alumni and other Cleveland musicians. Razor & Tie has reissued most of MSB's catalog and two excellent best-of collections on compact disc
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk