Abreu overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Abreu overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:45 pm

Charlie Manuel is spouting ST bull crap. I can't imagine that there is another manager beside Larry Bowa who will give his number 3 hitter 50 SB attempts with Thome hitting behind him.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Abreu overrated?

Postby jbones733 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:52 pm

Rookies wrote:Abreu is going in the first or early second round in many drafts. Doesn't that seem a little high?

He hit 31 HR's and stole 40 bases in 2004, but in seven full seasons with Philly, his career average is more like 23 HR's/ 29 SB's. His RBI and Walk numbers were up last year too.

What should we make of him? Was 04 a career year or can he be counted on to produce at that level again?

thats what Beltran puts up & he is going # 1 in some drafts or at least top 4 & now hes in the place where hitters come to die, Shea

no Abreu is not overated, hes not top, top tier but i would take him late 1st, early 2nd
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Abreu overrated?

Postby demoflauchy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:12 pm

jbones733 wrote:
Rookies wrote:Abreu is going in the first or early second round in many drafts. Doesn't that seem a little high?

He hit 31 HR's and stole 40 bases in 2004, but in seven full seasons with Philly, his career average is more like 23 HR's/ 29 SB's. His RBI and Walk numbers were up last year too.

What should we make of him? Was 04 a career year or can he be counted on to produce at that level again?

thats what Beltran puts up & he is going # 1 in some drafts or at least top 4 & now hes in the place where hitters come to die, Shea

no Abreu is not overated, hes not top, top tier but i would take him late 1st, early 2nd

Top top tier is in the top 15 which is easily where Abreu is. Of the 100+ OF, he's easily top 5. That's top tier to me.
[url]textandmac.com[/url]
[url]pokerandcoffee.blogspot.com[/url]
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:22 pm

I need to see him put those numbers up again before I'd draft him in the first round (especially mid-1st round). There's a big difference between 25/25 and 30/40. Mid-2nd feels about right to me. Possibly early 2nd depending on league size.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fiz » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:24 pm

am i crazy to take him 6th (after pujols, vlad, beltran, arod, and tejada)?
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:53 pm

chris8 wrote:I fully expect him to keep up those sorts of numbers.

After the obvious top 4, Abreu is right in the mix with Tejada, Helton and others in the top 10 IMO.

That is where I have him also. I like him slightly better than Beltran for 05. They are about 6, 7 overall IMO.

One of the things you should look for is the reliability of the pick in the first round. Abreu has been consistent and reliable for many years so your risk is minimal compared to most players. He won't carry your team but he's been on several winning teams of mine over the year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aven » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:08 pm

I wouldn't call him overrated in the least. He is a legitimate 5 tool player and he will continue that trend.

In my eyes, he is a symbol of consistency and overall outstanding play. I love players that do it all.
aven
T-Ball Trainer

been having the same question

Postby squirtle » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 pm

I actually just took him in sixth posit in a ten team head to head, though I thought there was a good chance I'd get another first round quality stud in the second (helton ended up falling to me on the turn...ten team...silly that)...

I have the 8th pick in my 12 person head to head and I'm gonna take him at that place I THINK...the consistency is there and moreover I really think he was resting on his laurels a bit for a few years before the last...he's reported to camp in good shape and I think that fact along with a green light manager bodes well for something resembling a repeat...hr might dip just a touch but I still have him down for 25-30 with 30-35 sb and there may be more here...I also think he may experience a bit of a spike in ba this year...

so yeah, take him knowing ya got a good bit of everything here and don't feel TOO bad about letting a single category stud get past yah :)
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:11 pm

cordscords wrote:For all the people who expect his SB's to go down are wrong. Charlie Manuel likes to run, run, and run some more. He said he's thinking 60-75 sb's

Manuel was talking about Jimmy Rollins there not Abreu.

There is a risk Abreu's SB numbers come back to around 25 but he is one of the very few 5 cat studs in the game (it's even debatable whether Beltran is). Abreu definitely justifies a first round pick.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers