Donnie Darko - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Donnie Darko

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 pm

I love how the sprinklers turn on when he walks by them but turn off again when he's past. It makes me wonder if he really is a superhero, controlling weather like that.

Also, I wonder if he's got a secret obsession with his sister.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:42 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I love how the sprinklers turn on when he walks by them but turn off again when he's past. It makes me wonder if he really is a superhero, controlling weather like that.

Yea he can travel time and control the weather...maybee he is a superhero...

why do you think that about his sister?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:45 pm

He is a super-hero! It's a reference to him being a Christ-figure which most comic book heroes (golden age anyway) are. At least that's the way I interpret it. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:06 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:I love how the sprinklers turn on when he walks by them but turn off again when he's past. It makes me wonder if he really is a superhero, controlling weather like that.

Yea he can travel time and control the weather...maybee he is a superhero...

why do you think that about his sister?

Doesn't it seem odd that his sister's boyfriend shares a name with the psychotic bunny tormenting him? There are other reasons, but I don't have time to get into them now. Maybe tomorrow.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:25 pm

AA, Donnie's sister's boyfriend IS the rabbit tormenting him. ;-)

Do you remember at the end when Frank runs Gretchen over and then Donnie shoots him in the face?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:42 am

Amazinz wrote:AA, Donnie's sister's boyfriend IS the rabbit tormenting him. ;-)

Do you remember at the end when Frank runs Gretchen over and then Donnie shoots him in the face?

I disagree. I think that the whole thing is a psychotic episode brought on by his obsession with his sister.

Donnie is clearly obsessed with sex. Look at his discussions of smurfs "What's the point of living if you don't have a d***?" he asks. Watch his interaction with his therapest.

When Donnie is kicked out of his room because it's been crushed, he sleeps on the couch in front of a picture of his sister as a little girl, hugging her stuffed bunny.

The only difference, of course, is that now she's sleeping with Frank - a giant bunny.

I won't get too deeply into it, but I think that everything is part of Donnie's dream psychosis. His girlfriend, flooding the school, the whole thing.

That's one interpretation, at least. Sure, the other is time travel, obviously.

Look at the double feature that Donnie takes Gretchen to during the movie: Evil Dead and Last Temptation of Christ.

One's about time travel and the other about a man's fantasies in the moments before he dies.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:42 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:One's about time travel and the other about a man's fantasies in the moments before he dies.

Which is exactly what I always thought. As strange as the movie was, I always attributed it to being a Jacob's Ladder kind of movie where he's just experiencing a ton of thoughts before he dies.

Of course, there is the whole problem with the jet engine that kills him being from the future...

:-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:06 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Look at the double feature that Donnie takes Gretchen to during the movie: Evil Dead and Last Temptation of Christ.

One's about time travel and the other about a man's fantasies in the moments before he dies.

I've only seen Donnie Darko once so far. Are you sure about it being Evil Dead? Evil Dead does not have time travel in it, although Evil Dead III (aka Army of Darkness) does.

I can barely remember the movie, but I recall wondering at the end of the movie if time got stuck in a cycle - at least for the airplane? I better watch it again soon.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:26 am

Well I watched it again from AA's vantage. Interesting take but I definitely don't see it. ;-)

I also don't think the movie is as simple as a time travel story. Kelly has already said in multiple interviews (here is one LINK) that DD is not psychotic.

In that article you'll see (from Kelly's own words) that the tangent universe (the time bubble that shouldn't have existed) was "real". Watch it from that angle if you haven't and keep in mind that DD is a Jesus Christ of sorts who has to decide whether or not he dies for mankind.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

I like your theory AA... very interesting...By the way his Sister in the Film is his Sister in Real Life as well...don't know why I just capped all those letters ahh well...anyways anyone ever heard of STRING theory...It has to do with parallel universes/dimensions and it reminds me alot of this movie.

Also does anyone remember him saying Deos Mechi or something like that? It means god is a machine...

By the way the song MADWORLD at the end of the movie is really awesome...and its been stuck in my head for 2 days which is really annoying...

anyways I think the movie is about time travel but also about deja vous issues and lots of other cool things...

The best line in the move "Who's Frank Donnie." Says Drew Barrymore the teacher
"Hes a six foot tall bunny rabbit"

Also that poem he says in class is very tellings...he talks about returning the children to their doorsteps safely..Which is what he does when he goes back through the portal keeping the plane from crashing, keeping Gretchen from dying, and keeping frank from dying...

the weird thing is that now wouldn't you say things are still bad even though Donnie died..... Swayze is gonna go on molesting kids and all which is pretty bad....anyways sweet movie...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk