What do you think of this motley crew? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

What do you think of this motley crew?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of this motley crew?

Postby DEF » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:23 am

10-team mixed non-keeper league, head-to-head scoring with hitting categories H, R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, Ave and pitching categories App, W, S, K, ERA, WHIP

C - Lieberthal
1B - Delgado
2B - Walker
3B - Chavez
SS - Renteria
OF - Burrell
OF - Pierre
OF - Jenkins
Util - Sexson
Bench - Kendall (C)
DL - Giles (OF)

SP - Pedro
SP - Wood
RP - Gagne
RP - MacDougal
P - M. Williams
P - Maddux
P - W. Miller
Bench - Moyer
Bench - Benson
Bench - B. Myers
Bench - Meche
Bench - Chacon

Daily transactions, so I rotate starting pitchers in and out.

Obviously, I'm pretty deep in starting pitching, but I'm getting concerned about my offense with Giles hurt and Chavez and Burrell off to slow starts (I'm tied for second but last week lost 4-5 offensive categories by a single hit, run, RBI, etc.). Should I sit tight and wait for Giles to return and Chavez and Burrell to turn it around, or should I look to move a starting pitcher and/or one of my catchers for a quality bat, preferably in the outfield? How good an outfielder could I get for a Benson/Kendall combo? Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts or comments, and I'll go check out the other teams posted in this forum.
DEF

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Roster Adjustment

Postby cradle_master2001 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:56 pm

Well first off I wish I had your team as MY draft, but that's just not the way it worked out...Your team looks great, except WHAT are you THINKING when you pitch Wade Miller OVER Jamie Moyer??? lol...Moyer has done really well recently, and I think you should switch those two.

Giles may take a while to come back, but keep him, he is a quality player, try to pick up an outfielder in exchange for one of your weaker outfielders.

I don't know how good of an outfielder you can get with that combo, but I think that the best combo would be a Meche/Kendall combo. That way, you're offering a great pitcher and a decent catcher, and I would bet you could get an excellent outfielder, just don't go and try to get Carl Everett or something like that...

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
cradle_master2001
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DEF » Thu May 01, 2003 6:07 am

Thanks for the reply. I never started Miller over Moyer. As I said, there's daily transactions so I rotate whoever's starting into the lineup that day, though I wish I would have benched both of them yesterday. LOL. I was also NEVER considering dropping Giles, or even trading him, as you'd never get fair value for an injured player. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is whether to sit tight and wait for him to come back to solidfy my outfield or act now and sacrifice some depth to get some immediate help. The only fear is trading Kendall is Lieberthal's injury history. Personally, I think Benson is a better pitcher than Meche and would get more in a trade. I picked up Meche recently because of his strong start, but he was still available on waivers in our league until a few days ago.

Oh, and I would NEVER contaminate a team of mine with the likes of Carl Everett. I'd rather finish last than be associated with that scumbag.
DEF

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 11:14 am

I think your outfield could be improved slightly.. maybe use an SP to get one of the top power guys in the league

Postby cradle_master2001 » Thu May 01, 2003 5:56 pm

well, it's a tough call to make on whether to keep Giles or to release him. I would suggest that, if there is an outfielder available that is hot right now, take him and release Giles, in hopes that Giles will still be available after he recovers, which the doctors say will be around the 2nd week of May. Or, if you can wait a week, keep him and run the possibility of taking a hit in points. I realize that I am not that much help, but let's just say this: Personally, I would keep Giles.

Yes, Lieberthal has had a past history of injuries. However, the decision on whether to take a player or not should not be decided on the fact that a player has been injured before. Lieberthal appears to have gotten over his injuries so far. It's your call; heck, maybe some dork will drop Rodriguez, it's happened before...

I believe that, in reality, Benson and Meche are fairly equal; it all depends on which team each pitcher faces on any given day. Meche has been doing well the past week, but so has Benson. Probably shouldn't start them against the Yankees, though...

It's your choice on whether or not to take Carl Everett. I agree with you, he is a scumbag; however, I don't care, because he puts points on for my team.

Also, I agree fully with Guest. You should probably consider what he is saying.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
cradle_master2001
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DEF » Sat May 03, 2003 4:36 pm

Well, I don't think outfield should be a problem anymore as I just completed a couple deals. First, I picked up Juan Encarnacion for Jenkins, then came the real coup. I landed Magglio Ordonez for Kendall and Chacon. So my outfield is now Ordonez, Burrell and Encarnacion, with Pierre on the bench to be inserted if I need steals and Giles waiting in the wings on the DL (again, I NEVER considered dropping or releasing him, I'm not sure where anyone got that idea).

I still have Lieberthal at catcher and a starting staff of Pedro, Wood, Maddux, Moyer, Miller, Benson, Myers and Meche so I'm pretty happy with my team. With the two-for-one deal to get Ordonez, I also have an empty slot to fill. I'll probably either add a versatile infielder who can back up at a few positions (D'Angelo Jimenez is available) or add another reliever (Politte is available, or maybe a middle reliever to help with some appearances, Ks, ERA and WHIP). THanks for the input guys.
DEF

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team