100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Javier Vazquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:42 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:LOL...

He just plain blows. A gutless waste.

He may settle down in Ariz with no proessure to win...would not bet on it though.

Sound familiar? Alot of folks said the same thing about Weaver.

Javier was dropping his ERA & BAA while raising his K's in 2002 & 2003. Then he hit NY and just fell apart.

TB13 hit it on the head: a good value pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see him thrive away from the glare of the Yankees.

Sound familiar? yes it does! its the same thing Yanks04 says about most ex-yankees... As far as Vaz goes for this season, I look for him to be a great value pick, his season last year was fine up until the all-star break, on pace for 20 wins and almost 200 k's until having the wheels fall off after the break... suggesting some sort of injury or mechanics issue, I think he will rebound nicely in AZ provided their offense doesn't go on the DL for the season early like it did last year
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:47 pm

jeff926 wrote:it may help him, but at the same time, he is going to the place where randy johnson barely had a winning record

That is the most ignorant comment I've heard in the cafe in awhile :-P (And that is saying an awful lot)

let's see over six season's with the DBacks:

103 wins and 49 losses with a 2.79 ERA 3 CY youngs and a World Series... Yep he was a bust in AZ :-?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeff926 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:49 pm

last year buddy... get a clue... they were horrible last year. no doubt he was great when they had a better club, but they were the worst team in baseball last year. they picked up glaus, a healthy gonzo, and ortiz, but they are still pretty bad. take it in context. we aren't talking about his whole career in AZ. we were talking about arizona's HORRIBLE team last year
you heard it here...
Seattle Mariners 2007 World Series Champs!
Felix Hernandez = 35 wins, 400K!
i can dream...
jeff926
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:50 pm

jeff926 wrote:last year buddy... get a clue... they were horrible last year. no doubt he was great when they had a better club, but they were the worst team in baseball last year. they picked up glaus, a healthy gonzo, and ortiz, but they are still pretty bad. take it in context. we aren't talking about his whole career in AZ. we were talking about arizona's HORRIBLE team last year

You made the comment, and it was ignorant... Learn how to articulate ;-)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtarail » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:23 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Yeah, I'd keep an eye on Vaz later in the draft, especially due to his positive record in a similar low-offense locale of Montreal. As Yoda mentioned, Arizona has gotten some solid guys to increase the offense on the club.

I think you could definitely bank on 10-12 wins and a 3-4 ERA from him with a return of the K's. Not bad for a 3rd/4th pitcher.

I agree with this. Arizona will has a better team than last year by far, and this guy proved in '03 that he has the potential to be a stud. I'd take him in the 11th round or later, (in 12 team). His ability to strike people out makes him a good value there. And it really wouldn't surprise me too much if this guy is a top 20 pitcher this year.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:25 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:LOL...

He just plain blows. A gutless waste.

He may settle down in Ariz with no proessure to win...would not bet on it though.

Sounds to me like a spoiled yankee fan, who got burned by someone.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Spartans Rule » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:09 pm

I've read some stuff that said his velocity was down last year, and he was among the league leaders in % of pitches that were curveballs and changeups. That's a more logical explanation than the all too convenient "couldn't handle the pressure of being a Yankee" bit. He handled it fine at the start of the year.

He could bounce back, but I'm concerned enough that I probably won't pick him where he's been going.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Cashman swears that the Yankees keep a log of their pitchers' velocity and that Vaz was no different in the first half then he was in the second half. Of course Cash may have been lying because he was trying to make a deal at the time he was saying this.

An injury seemed like the most likely reason but now that he's gone through physicals successfully that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't buy the "couldn't handle NY" excuse either for the same reasons Spartans mentioned. So I don't know what the deal was.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers