6th pitching category? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

6th pitching category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

6th pitching category?

Postby mikemcj55 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:38 am

Hey guys
Our league is setting up a keeper, and we are having problems figuring out pitching categories. We have 6 hitting cats (R, RBI, HR, BA, SB, OPS) and we are looking for the 6th cat (Currently have w, k, era, whip, sv). Yahoo's pitching categories are pretty limited and we are trying to pick the lesser of the evils
Losses
Total Bases Allowed
Switch k's to k/9 and have IP be a separate category
Holds (problem is it makes hitters much more valuable than any pitcher, based on our hitting categories)
Cg's

I'd appreciate some opinions, because this will generate a lot of debate in our league.
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:44 am

Any of those can work; it's really mainly a question of taste.

Personally, I like holds, since it gives value to a group of players who are otherwise often neglected (at least in relatively shallow leagues). I'm not a huge fan of IP as a category (I prefer an IP cap), and CGs are a bit to uncommon to serve as their own category for my taste.

Just my opinion, of course - there's no right or wrong here.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Copperheads » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:23 am

In my 6x6 league we now use game appearances as the 6th category. Seems to work well.
Copperheads
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:12 pm

HRs might be a good category. I know a lot of leagues use H as a category but that would increase the value of MRs way too much.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:16 pm

I like K/BB. i think Holds overvalues MR too much, and they tend to be unpredictable outside the top few guys. i did CG last year and it was also too random outside of 3 or 4 players.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:24 pm

How about OPS against?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

I like holds and I don't know why people say it overvalues MRs. The fact is that most of the top MRs are MORE valuable than closers, because they pitch in tighter situations. If you look at any good analysis of the top 20-30 relievers based upon good metrics like runs prevented, you'll find that more than half are middle relievers. These guys are much, much more valuable than most people think.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I like holds and I don't know why people say it overvalues MRs. The fact is that most of the top MRs are MORE valuable than closers, because they pitch in tighter situations. If you look at any good analysis of the top 20-30 relievers based upon good metrics like runs prevented, you'll find that more than half are middle relievers. These guys are much, much more valuable than most people think.

SV is a useless stat in real baseball, but it comes from a defined position where a player's value can be adequately quantified. holds scoring for MR is like defenses in football. There are 3 that everyone knows are draftable amongst defined position players and the rest end up being very random so nobody takes one till the last few rounds. that seems kind of useless from a fantasy perspective.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:20 pm

i like holds a lot too since it gives middle relievers lots of value

but if you dont wanna do holds then my favorite besides holds is k/9 i seem to like that stat a lot
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby three_peat » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:23 pm

I like Appearances better than holds. We have run a 6x6 league for a while now and have settled on App as the sixth pitch category. Also, makes owners pay attention and put forth effort to do well in that category.
three_peat
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers