Roto Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:07 pm

SteveP wrote:I just want to say this as firmly as I can. Games are played by rules and I surely don't object to players using those rules.

BUT games are also about general understandings as to ways and means. We play games with friends because we all generally understand what the game is, that's how we have fun. When someone "understands" the game better by knowing some rule that can be played, that's not really the game you and your friends signed up for, is it?

Winning is such an empty thing, playing with your mates is so much better and more important than gaming the rules. Why be such a loser as to screw your mates that way? Play the frigging game, don't be an arse.

Sounds like your way of crawfishing after being wrong. The point of the game is to be competitive, and with that, comes trying to vault your team to the top while still being ethical. Making a trade that will hurt your competition, whether or not it will actually improve your team, is perfectly fine. You are trying to hurt your competition's team, thus helping your team's place in the standings.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I just think that this is one of the many roto aspects that truly adds a lot of excitement/strategy to the league. I think it would be pretty boring to have a league that just sat on their hands all year because a trade isn't exactly perfectly even and beneficial for both teams.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:09 pm

SteveP wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Here are the official Yahoo rules, it's perfectly ethical:

Yahoo Rules=ethics?

my god I have landed on another planet.

Yes, called fantasy baseball ethics. AKA to Yahoo as "Fair Play and Sportsmanship".
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SteveP » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:11 pm

slomo007 wrote:
SteveP wrote:I just want to say this as firmly as I can. Games are played by rules and I surely don't object to players using those rules.

BUT games are also about general understandings as to ways and means. We play games with friends because we all generally understand what the game is, that's how we have fun. When someone "understands" the game better by knowing some rule that can be played, that's not really the game you and your friends signed up for, is it?

Winning is such an empty thing, playing with your mates is so much better and more important than gaming the rules. Why be such a loser as to screw your mates that way? Play the frigging game, don't be an arse.

Sounds like your way of crawfishing after being wrong. The point of the game is to be competitive, and with that, comes trying to vault your team to the top while still being ethical. Making a trade that will hurt your competition, whether or not it will actually improve your team, is perfectly fine. You are trying to hurt your competition's team, thus helping your team's place in the standings.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I just think that this is one of the many roto aspects that truly adds a lot of excitement/strategy to the league. I think it would be pretty boring to have a league that just sat on their hands all year because a trade isn't exactly perfectly even and beneficial for both teams.

Yep we will have to disagree.. I am befuddled by the entire concept you propose.
In OPS we trust
SteveP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SteveP » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:12 pm

slomo007 wrote:
SteveP wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Here are the official Yahoo rules, it's perfectly ethical:

Yahoo Rules=ethics?

my god I have landed on another planet.

Yes, called fantasy baseball ethics. AKA to Yahoo as "Fair Play and Sportsmanship".

goodie...egads Yahoo rules inform you of ethics?
In OPS we trust
SteveP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:13 pm

SteveP wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yep we will have to disagree.. I am befuddled by the entire concept you propose.

I didn't propose it, Yahoo did, and you are agreeing to them when you play in Yahoo leagues. If you veto a trade due to this, technically you are in the wrong because you agreed to the rules when you signed up (assuming you do play Yahoo). I'm not sure what Sportsline's rules say, but I would imagine it's something very similar. This is a widely accepted rule across the fantasy sports world.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:20 pm

I play to win the game.
I don't play, just to play.
I don't sit back after an 8th place finish and say how swell the season went, and oh my, golly gee, I sure had alot of fun and made a buddy too.

And I am pretty sure that the guys I play against feel the same way.

If they don't, then they are going to get steamrolled by me and half the other guys that are playing to win.

Do I feel sorry for them? Kinda ... .
They just spent more than half the year getting this ass handed to him and in all honesty, thats gotta suck. I guess I'll think about them a little when I deposit the check. :-°
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby kev921 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:23 pm

I'd say fair. You are attempting to position yourself into 1st.

If the trade were initiated by someone out of contention, then I'd start to think that it would be unfair.

However, if it were a money league and the money payout goes rather deep....New topic
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:28 pm

its fair ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bolkonsky » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:28 pm

Completely fair, imho. :-)

If you don't like it, don't play roto leagues...fantasy leagues (by this I mean points leagues) don't have this "problem".
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stabone76 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:34 pm

It has nothing to do with ethics. The person in first still has the chance to make a move to better his team in that one catagory too. Its you against the league. If you need to make a trade, the other guy still has to win. You cant give him the league, he has to win it. As long as you arent giving up a player to your friend so he wnis the league its fair. As long as your goal is to win yourself, not just so that leader loses.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers