How does Crawford look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How does Crawford look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:09 am

Way too early for a guy who had an OBP of .331 and an OPS around .700. Even if he scores 100 R, there are 30 other players who will do the same.

I can pick up Podsednik and/or Pierre 5-6 rounds later. Someone else can take Crawford this season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:10 am

He is 23.

He is getting better.

His stats trend upward in OBP and power.

In fact, one could argue he will put up:

110R, 15+HR, 60RBI, 60SB, .310

Is that a first rd player? Id argue it is.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:12 am

Considering baldeli is hurt, lugo may be traded and that just leaves huff its hard to trend him up to 110 Runs. He doesnt' really trend as a big power hitter, his HR could go down as easy as it goes up. His RBI are unlikely to grow with their lineup. That really leaves avg/sb which is why you draft him, I just don't htink you draft him 1st round on a bad offensive team for those 2 stats. Maybe its just me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:25 am

Ender wrote:

Considering baldeli is hurt, lugo may be traded and that just leaves huff its hard to trend him up to 110 Runs. He doesnt' really trend as a big power hitter, his HR could go down as easy as it goes up. His RBI are unlikely to grow with their lineup. That really leaves avg/sb which is why you draft him, I just don't htink you draft him 1st round on a bad offensive team for those 2 stats. Maybe its just me.

2H and 3H trends suggest his power is coming - just wait and see how valuable this "2 cat" guy is going to be.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:36 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Ender wrote:

2H and 3H trends suggest his power is coming - just wait and see how valuable this "2 cat" guy is going to be.

Well, he is going to improve hitting more fly balls then because right now it's about 2:1 ground/fly. I probably won't change anyone's mind and I seriously doubt that anyone will change my mind about him in 05. I will gladly pass on him in the first round and be wrong than take him and be wrong. There are plenty of other good players who are much more dependent and better early on IMO. .331 OBP is pretty bad for a guy whose job is to get on base.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby looptid » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:45 am

He doesnt' really trend as a big power hitter, his HR could go down as easy as it goes up.

A 6'2", 219 pound 23 year-old that had 56 extra base hits as a 22 year-old doesn't trend as a power hitter? Not too many players reach their peak power output at an age where most proffesional ballplayers are toiling in the minor leagues.

He has the size, height, and frame to hit big. It's only a matter of time before he starts converting some of those doubles and triples into dingers. He'll hit 15-20 next season.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Copperheads » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:46 am

I see a lot of the speculation here on him is in striaght drafts. How about a auction league? Is $28 too high in a 6x6 league ($260 limit)?
Copperheads
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:50 am

looptid wrote:
He doesnt' really trend as a big power hitter, his HR could go down as easy as it goes up.

A 6'2", 219 pound 23 year-old that had 56 extra base hits as a 22 year-old doesn't trend as a power hitter? Not too many players reach their peak power output at an age where most proffesional ballplayers are toiling in the minor leagues.

He has the size, height, and frame to hit big. It's only a matter of time before he starts converting some of those doubles and triples into dingers. He'll hit 15-20 next season.

again, he would need to dramatically improve g/f ratio (currently at 2) to covert those 2B and 3B to HR.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:08 pm

Cornbread, I too am extremely high on Crawford. 30 homer guys are extremely easy to find, however, a guy who can go for 55+ SBs, 15+ HR, .300 BA, 100+ runs, and 60-70 RBI is a 1st rounder in any terms. Lower first round yes, but still 1st round. Also people forget Crawford is not a midget by any means...6'2", and 220 lbs. last season. He will probably put on 5-10 lbs this offseason, and wouldn't be surprised to see his power increase to near 20 HR...and any drafter who thinks he is anemic, well, I would love to have him in my league.....

Crawford = 1st round in any draft format
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby looptid » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
looptid wrote:

again, he would need to dramatically improve g/f ratio (currently at 2) to covert those 2B and 3B to HR.

In order to hit 4-9 more homeruns next season?
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers