Sheets vs. Santana - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets vs. Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheets vs. Santana

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:15 pm

Who will have a better 05 and why?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:20 pm

From a fantasty perspective, Santana. I think both will post excellent numbers, but would look for the Twins to get more wins for Santana. With increased playing time for Crain and Balfour in addition to Nathan and Rincon (and perhaps Romero, who knows, he had that 30-something scoreless innings streak last season), the Twins should have the best bullpen in the majors. I would be shocked if the Brewers won more games than the Twins as well.

Basically I think they'll put up comperable numbers, with Santana posting another 4-6 wins.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:50 pm

Even though Sheets is probably my favorite player in the game right now, I have to go with Santana. Better team, better bullpen and the 2nd half of last year was one of the dominating halves of pitching I've ever seen.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby so0perspam » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:51 pm

Ender wrote:Even though Sheets is probably my favorite player in the game right now, I have to go with Santana. Better team, better bullpen and the 2nd half of last year was one of the dominating halves of pitching I've ever seen.

Exactly. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm

Sheets is on a bad hitting team, I don't see him geting more than 15 wins this season. Meanwhile, Santana is on an up and coming team with hitters like Mauer, Morneau and Ford. If these guys produce when he pitches, 22 wins isn't impossible.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:04 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Sheets is on a bad hitting team, I don't see him geting more than 15 wins this season. Meanwhile, Santana is on an up and coming team with hitters like Mauer, Morneau and Ford. If these guys produce when he pitches, 22 wins isn't impossible.

FYI...Sheets started off 9-3 in 04.

I think they are a draw at this point. Santana has better support in terms of team offense and bullpen. However, Sheets will have a much better supporting cast especially if some of their prospects arrive early and produce right away. Addition of Carlos Lee will definitely help also.

The bottom line I guess is that Santana's been going early in the 1st round versus Sheets who's getting passed on regularly in favor of 4 or 5 other starters. I guess I'd rather wait or pay slightly less on a guy that people are down on due to lack of wins which is impossible to predict.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby foulballstrike3 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:11 pm

Impossible to predict wins? Kerry Wood won't win 15 wins, that's an easy prediction. Also, Santana pitches against KC, Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago. I know Cleveland is an up and coming team, and Detroit and Chicago have accomplished hitters, but Santana need not worry. Sheets goes against the likes of the Cards and the Reds to name two teams. You can say what you want about opponents, but when he faces KC, it's an automatic win.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:18 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:Impossible to predict wins? Kerry Wood won't win 15 wins, that's an easy prediction. Also, Santana pitches against KC, Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago. I know Cleveland is an up and coming team, and Detroit and Chicago have accomplished hitters, but Santana need not worry. Sheets goes against the likes of the Cards and the Reds to name two teams. You can say what you want about opponents, but when he faces KC, it's an automatic win.

8-o I don't know where to begin. Odalis Perez won 7 games with an ERA in the low 3's on a team with a decent offense and an awesome bullpen that made the playoffs.

You can reasonably expect Ws from good pitchers on a good team but there is no accurate way to predict it since so much of it depends not only on the pitcher himself but his teammates.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:31 pm

Santana. According to ESPN 2K5 he is much better! Santana won the head to head game 2-1.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mark8037 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:58 pm

Seriously this isn't even close. Sheet plays on a sucky team that will frustrate even the best pitchers in to submission. Sheets lost a lot of steam after the all star break and was average at best coz the brewers couldn't score. You might get the Ks but dont expect too many wins.

Santana all the way (maybe the first or second pitcher of the board)
Let's play two.
mark8037
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers