Wanted: Good baseball advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wanted: Good baseball advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wanted: Good baseball advice

Postby reynolds80 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:56 pm

I'm a baseball stats nut and have been on the sabermetrics/Bill James bandwagon for a few years now. My younger brother is 23 years old and was a 5th-year senior Outfielder at a small college this past season. He was all-conference the past two seasons and was his team's MVP this past year. He is a pretty big kid (6'2, 195), but he has only average speed and an average arm.

Last year he hit .401 with 6 HR and had 31 BB and only 15 K. He has great on-base skills as illustrated by his college career .448 OBP. Being the stats guy I am I know that his BB/K ratio suggest that my brother could hit at a higher level. He was scouted a little bit in college but one pro scout told his assistant coach that he was a little too slow to be drafted. He went to a few MLB open tryout camps in the summer but those were designed mostly for "tool" guys to shine- camps that were run by the kind of old-fashioned scouts that were mocked in Moneyball. They would run and throw and then the cuts would be made. I told my brother that a guy like Kevin Millar or Scott Hatteberg would never have made the cut at such a tryout.

Do you guys know of any independent leagues or organizations that look at hitters' college stats in addition to a tryout, or any baseball organization that would look at a kid like my brother? Are there any baseball organizations that don't just look at a stopwatch to determine who can play baseball? A place where my brother's on base skills would be appreciated?

And are there any independent baseball teams that use sabermetrics in their player evaluation?

As you can imagine my brother is about ready to hang up the spikes out of frustration but I tell him to keep working hard and give it a go this spring. He is still working toward that goal and I really want to help him find a league or team that would appreciate his baseball skills. Any help would be appreciated.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 290
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:30 pm

I wish I could help, but you could point out the route that Kevin Millar (and others) took to the big leagues.

For Millar, he played in the Northern League for five years and played winter ball in the Dominican, in Mexico, etc. It's not easy - it's not major league level - but it's playing baseball. And if he works at it, the scouts will notice. Given enough time...

Good luck.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby reynolds80 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:57 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I wish I could help, but you could point out the route that Kevin Millar (and others) took to the big leagues.

For Millar, he played in the Northern League for five years and played winter ball in the Dominican, in Mexico, etc. It's not easy - it's not major league level - but it's playing baseball. And if he works at it, the scouts will notice. Given enough time...

Good luck.


I appreciate it. Going to go do a little research on the Northern League now.

Does anyone have any other info about it?
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 290
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:06 pm

Well, he could try the Jeff Zimmerman route.

Zimmerman wrote letters to every major league team asking if they would be interested in giving him a look, along with his resume. The Texas Rangers were the only team to respond, but he did get a contract. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:29 pm

There used to be a Northern League team up here, the Duluth-Superior Dukes. They have had a few make it to the minor leagues/major leagues. Jim Rushford and Anthony Lewis. Lewis didn't make it to the majors because he was too old, but Rushford got a shot in Sept. with the Brew Crew.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 783
Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Souptown

Postby reynolds80 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:21 am

Madison wrote:Well, he could try the Jeff Zimmerman route.

Zimmerman wrote letters to every major league team asking if they would be interested in giving him a look, along with his resume. The Texas Rangers were the only team to respond, but he did get a contract. ;-D


Interesting. Maybe he could write Oakland, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Boston! I wonder if Beane would get back to him? LOL :-]

But now that I think about it, I do wonder what would happen if a letter like that got in the hands of the right assistant in the Oakland or Boston organization. To them taking a chance on my brother is probably about as subjective as scouting a kid at a tryout camp.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 290
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:38 am

reynolds80 wrote:
Madison wrote:Well, he could try the Jeff Zimmerman route.

Zimmerman wrote letters to every major league team asking if they would be interested in giving him a look, along with his resume. The Texas Rangers were the only team to respond, but he did get a contract. ;-D


Interesting. Maybe he could write Oakland, Toronto, Los Angeles, and Boston! I wonder if Beane would get back to him? LOL :-]

But now that I think about it, I do wonder what would happen if a letter like that got in the hands of the right assistant in the Oakland or Boston organization. To them taking a chance on my brother is probably about as subjective as scouting a kid at a tryout camp.


It's one of those "you never know" situations. Only way to find out is to give it a shot though. Can't hurt anything to try, and if someone will check him out, then "Bingo!". Maybe he gets a minor league deal of some sort. If it was me, I'd do whatever I could, especially if it can't hurt anything :-) .

Good luck! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Wanted: Good baseball advice

Postby Arlo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 am

I like the idea of trying the Zimmerman route.

And if you're looking at non-MLB options, I'd at least consider adding the Japanese leagues to your list.

Best of luck! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby crapshooter » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:51 pm

baseball scouts have told me that the two things they look for most when scouting is speed and a strong arm. They feel they can teach the other things if a player has those.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 1 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: raking the mound

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:54 pm

crapshooter wrote:baseball scouts have told me that the two things they look for most when scouting is speed and a strong arm. They feel they can teach the other things if a player has those.


If that's the case, I would recommend Santa leaving a 1st baseman's glove under the tree next December. ;-D
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact